1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military Service

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CyberStar, Jan 27, 2015.

1. CyberStar

2. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Petition to allow transgender military service.

Awesome! Trans aren't allowed in the military? That's bs. With don't ask don't tell gone now, you would think trans would be allowed in the military also. Sounds like discrimination. This is great that you feel passionately to start a petition and maybe help make some changes. :slight_smile:

3. CyberStar

Yeah... Hopefully it gets signatures: for some reason it doesn't show up when you search "transgender" on the site ...

4. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I went ahead and signed it. Nobody knows my last name and my location is easily discernible if you look at what I have as my Location. So it shouldn't be a big problem for users.

5. Alive

Good luck with the petition!

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, sweetie! :3

I think this is important! I don't actually agree with the way our foreign policy works, so I would never sign up for our armed forces. However, if the US were really the humanitarian policy enforcers I would like them to be, then I would absolutely consider military service.

I think protectors are wonderful, and I honor them greatly. I also greatly understand the desire to protect the public in that capacity.

Have you considered a career in law enforcement, my sister?

7. BelleFromHell

This, basically. I've been debating on whether or not I should join the military as a cryptologic linguist. I recently discovered that I have a thing for languages, and I'd love to fly somewhere far away and help people. I'd also be in it for a roof over my head and the scholarships (Hey, I can't afford to move out or go to college on my own. I gotta be a little selfish!). At the same time, I don't exactly agree with everything they do, and sexual harassment is an epidemic there. I'm also interested in neuroscience, and I haven't decided on what I want to do with my life. I think it would be easier just to end it all, but I won't get into that now.

Not sure if that petition will load on this phone, but I'll try. I recommend what Pret Allez said about looking into law enforcement. I'm not sure whether or not they allow trans people in, and I disagree with them on a number of things as well, but if you really want to help and protect people, I'd look into it.

8. eggsessential

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I know that in Canada apparently you can join as trans as there is no more don't ask don't tell policy up here since the early 90's really. Though I haven't really heard of anyone being LGBTQ and serving.

I've heard of trans people being able to serve in the coast guard reserve in the states. I don't know about the army reserve, I'm guessing that would be a no. Law enforcement could also be another option, I've heard of trans people serving. Hopefully, this will change in the years to come with the armed forces. I wish you good luck on your petition!

The cryptologic linguist sounds really cool! Would it be like a translator for certain languages? I have never heard of that job! I'm going to have to go look into it now on Google.

9. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    As a former active duty navy grunt, the coast guard operates under the authority of the dept of transportation despite being an extension of the navy which along with army, air force and marines is dept of defense.

That being said, if there is any truth to coast guard allowing trans enlistment that might be why maybe not but something to consider.

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2015 at 06:17 PM ----------

Oh well apparently USCG is no longer under DoT but rather DHS.

10. CyberStar

Woohoo... Only 999,995 signatures to go, in 25 days. This is dismal. Why aren't you helping, Google?