1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about an LGBT only school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by eternallyapril, Jan 29, 2015.

1. eternallyapril

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read an article about how a school for LGBT kids might be opened in 2-3 years time. What do you guys think about this? Do you think it would make things better for LGBT youth or not?

2. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Not really sure. The fact is, it would simply ostracise the LGBT youth even more. There's no need for an LGBT only school, as there's going to be bullying at any school. It could even be worse at an LGBT school if they were to form "cliques".

3. sophieee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think that it's a TERRIBLE idea but I think that I might make LGBT youth feel even more different from everyone else. Especially if someone came out to their parents and then they took them out of regular school and forced them into an "LGBT only" school.
    Of course, maybe parents wouldn't do that in fear of their child being around other people like them and getting into a relationship, if they were homophobic. So maybe that doesn't make much sense. But still.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2015 at 02:55 AM ----------

And also, separating LGBT youth from straight people would be more of a regression than a progression in equality.

4. AlamoCity

"'separate but equal' is inherently unequal"

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. And even if not, bad bad bad. This would only broaden the gap between "us and them" and generally pour fuel on the fire. Who thought of such an abominable idea in this current time?

6. White Knight

Like this?.

I just learned about Harvey Milk school couple of days ago and according to what I read it does very good job.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All it takes is own bigot nutjob with a gun, and you have some very bad results. I think the poor kids would be sitting ducks, sorry to say.

8. m e l v i n

i agree with the other posters, it could make them feel more different from the other kids.. besides, some of the kids who would need it the most wouldn't even fully understand about they're own sexuality or the LGBT..

let's go for equality (&&&) :slight_smile:
    :thewave:

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'd be concerned for the trans-folk, to be honest.

10. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what others have said. As sad as it seems, surely it would make those kids more of a target to the bigots of our society. It's not a totally bad idea by no means but I just don't think it would help matters that much at all.

11. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't see how segregation can do any good to LGBT youth. This is a terrible idea and I'd never study there.

12. antibinary

This.

13. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why can't the schools start actually concentraiting more on acceptance. I went my high school career portrayed as straight, no problems. What if I wasn't portrayed as straight? I know things would've been diffrent. But yet I was the same me I am now. People are just ignorant pretty much and we the LGBT community have to learn to deal with it because it looks as if there no other option but to.

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm with everyone else here. I want to say it'd be a good idea if it was necessary for the survival of those students, but even in those cases, it'd end up like gay bars in both short-term (shootings, ground for hate, cliques, etc.) and long-term (can't get into society anyway).

15. Lazuri

I was going to say a lot of things, but it seems people have already covered all my bases. So I am simply going to say that I believe the idea comes from the right place, but it would ultimately bring more harm than good.

16. CyanChachki

There's a bit of good and bad but mostly good, I suppose. The good part is that LGBTQ+ students have a safe place to be, a safe place to learn and the teachers and staff can give them a positive turn for the better.

However, the bad part would be that these LGBTQ+ schools could be targeted by bigots and other kinds of hateful people and this could lead to even an even worse life for teens. They could accidentally hire someone who is anti-gay and could try and mess with their minds.. not to mention, people could even try to protest and shut down these schools because they believe that being gay is a choice.

17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Separation won't make us integrate in the community.

I think it's not a good idea at all, actually. Like bearhug1994 said, why can't the school focus more on acceptance? I think that's the key: mutual acceptance. An LGBT only school won't change the mindsets of those who are not accepting. We should try to fix the "problem", rather than the "results".

18. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with a lot of what others have said. There is a term for this: segregation. Not a good thing. Shouldn't be going backwards but forwards towards equality. :slight_smile:

19. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's a horrible idea. You know, they understand each other and can build a community, but why segregate? Why make kids feel isolated from society more than most do already? It's also feeding fuel to the fire for bullies as well. "Oh you go to that school?" I think they have the right intentions, but I personally don't think it'll make things better...

20. Rainbow Girl

I think the goal that they're like trying to accomplish is nice idea. The idea of creating a safe space for LGBT youth to call their own, be in an environment where they are accepted and around other people like them. However, as other have said it can create a lot more problems.