1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are LGBTQ people accepted at your high-school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by black-cat, Jan 29, 2015.

?

How are LGBTQ people accepted at your high-school?

1. LGBTQ people are fully accepted, many are out of the closet & there is a postive vibe/ethos towards

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. Some are out of the closet, some are accepted, with a mixed vibe towards us and occasional support/e

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  3. There are very few to no people out of the closet, there is a strongly negative vibe towards us as w

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. black-cat

Pretty much self explanatory, but how was/are LGBTQ people accepted at your high school?

Are people out of the closet, are they accepted, does the school "accommodate" for LGBTQ people (health, safety, sex education, gay support groups, etc), what is the general feeling about gays or trans people?

2. CyberStar

They are really accepted. My school has a reputation for being full of queers, to put it bluntly. I actually think a good 30% of the people there arw LGBTQ. And about 15-20% of the school is openly queer. It's like Gay Haven.

3. Yosia

There were a few people who liked to give LGBT+ people a hard time, however there was never any major homophobic acts. Overall i would say it was accepted among 80% of the school.

4. wolf of fire

3 people made my life bad at high school one was gay, another a lot of people suspected. Overall it was fine.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where I went to high school, it was actually very accepting for a small town. There were more than a few of us that were out, plus whoever was closeted. They started a GSA when I was a sophomore, and they really started an active effort to try and get people to realize that yes we exist, and no, we're not a novelty.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I went to public high school there were 3200 other kids so you know there were openly gay kids they seemed to be accepted.

7. Noel Luca

There is quite a lot of homophobia and transphobia, even the by the teachers. There is a girl in the year above me who is bisexual, and got bullied so much that she attempted suicide multiple times. People don't talk much about trans people, but I think that's because they find us too disgusting to discuss. There are some nice people who don't mind if you're LGBT though, just not very many.

8. Rainbows~Exist

I don't really know... I'm like the only openly gay guy in the entire school :/ But everyone was nice about it so our school's pretty good I guess?

9. Lyana

No major homophobic acts, but everyone was closeted (I knew of several gay guys and girls), and it was better that way. People would not have been accepting. One girl was bullied because they thought she was a lesbian (she wasn't). No support groups (but groups in high school aren't really a thing here).

10. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Ok I'm not in high school anymore, but my high school is extremely accepting of the LGBTQ community. We have several out and proud teachers as well as students. We have a GSA. Every year there are multiple dances, events, etc. dedicated to incorporate all members of our school, straight, gay or in between. The college that I go to now actually refers to my high school as the "Gay High School" because of how open we are.

11. black-cat

It's good to hear that all in all there is a fairly decent "vibe" within high schools.

My school is weird, it's 14-20 year olds, and there are about 400 pupils. (most high schools in the UK are 11-16/18), and in a city center.

But, it is a fully accepting and welcoming environment. There are many people out of the closet, including teachers. My straight head of year has a giant rainbow flag above her desk, lol. There is also a lot of safety precautions and sex education for gays and lesbians, as well as a few out of the closet trans students.

12. Quen

When I was in high school (which was 4 years ago), there was exactly one openly gay couple, and a few other out individuals. I didn't notice a lot of homophobia from the system but the gay couple couldn't get a couple's ticket for prom or participate in promenade. But we didn't get much support either, and everyone got the same abstinence-only sex education. The students, however, could be unpleasant, as a large portion of the student body identified strongly with the word redneck and the beliefs that usually go along with that word. I had a gay friend who would've been bullied had he not been 6'2" with a black belt in MMA. Another boy, a football player who identifed as metrosexual, was constantly picked on by his teammates. And according to my sister who is currently attending the same school, it hasn't changed much. And we're from one of the blue counties in our state.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My two older kids went to this relatively progressive "alternative" high school here in Montreal and gay kids are fully accepted there. My daughter includes two gay male friends among the many other friends she enjoys spending time with there.

14. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My highschool had a few openly LGBT teachers and staff some of the students were homophobic and made some disheartening comments, such as we shoukd collect all the gay guys and throw them out the window. Their was also a teacher that showed a documentary with homophobic undertones which was also funded by people that supported anti-gay legislation and believed being gay was an import from white people that wish to control the Black population, by esmaculating black men.

15. NinjaInTraining

Overall views on homosexuality are split at my school. The teachers all very openly support the LGBT community. My PSE, history and biology teachers especially like to talk about gay rights. Every single classroom or corridor has a poster in it saying 'Mae rhai pobl yn hoyw, deliwch â'r peth!' Which means 'some people are gay, get over it!'
    However certain students at my school can act very homophobic as they believe it to be 'unnatural' and 'tranny' is a common insult. Not all students are like that, but there are quite a few of them.

16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mine was not that bad for gay and bi people. There were some openly lesbian couples who would kiss in the hallways, like the regular couples. There was only ONE openly gay guy in all the school, though. People didn't bully them. Some straight people even got offended when someone said something homophobic. Though, as those who saw my first threads would know, the school staff was terrible in dealing with me being transgender.

They didn't want to put my name in the yearbook, even if they said it didn't have any legal grounds. They refused to use my name in any fashion, saying it was not legal, until I got a letter from the doctor saying that was bullshit. The psychologist told me to deal with it multiple times. It got so bad that I refused to answer them when they used my birth name, got very depressed and had 3 panic attacks a day. I'm still thinking about denouncing them for their bigotry and the toll it took on my mental health.

17. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I answered the middle of the road option. There are a lot of gay jokes at my school and homophobic remarks, but if somebody was actually openly gay, he/she was treated with respect. I knew of two openly gay kids at my school. One graduated, and one was a new kid from Idaho who later on moved. Both of them were fairly accepted. There were rumors going around for a few weeks, but after that it was nothing.
    I honestly don't know if I'm out or not (from my out status, I told people but they might've thought I was joking) but if they do know I'm gay then they are very accepting of me.

18. ravenclaw1991

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When I was in high school a couple of years ago, there were only a few lgbt people who were out. I was not out. People who were out seemed to be accepted just fine. I was very insistent that I was straight but I got teased A LOT for being gay. How they even know, I had no idea.

19. Hiems

Um I don't go to high school anymore but attend uni. My university tries to be LGBT friendly. There's a giant flag that hangs in one of the main facilities that says my school supports the LGBT community. But it's kind of hard to see it because this wound staircase kind of blocks it. It would have been nice for them to place it somewhere more visible.

We do have an LGBT club, which I rarely attend due to being busy with studying and work.

Apart from that I don't really see much homophobia on campus.

Having said that, there were some incidents two years ago that prompted the dean of students to send a mass e-mail to the whole faculty and student body with regard to the LGBT community. Some LGBT folks were getting bullied and harassed, so he told us that the university has zero tolerance for that behavior. He also encouraged victims to bring complaints to the office of the dean of students so that they can be addressed. That was kind of encouraging I guess...

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The kids I went to school with were the type to call people faggots, and from time to time hassle queer peers. I think this bisexual girl who sat next to me in chemistry had problems, but that might be my memory turning against me.

These days, I don't know. Maybe kids are getting meaner, but if my peers have shown anything with how things are now that we've all been out of there for three years now--I have to wonder, since I haven't had a single nasty thing said to me or about me by anyone from those days.

I was going to start a GSA or LGBTQ club inspired by what my fiance did, but I gave up on that idea.