1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much money do you want to make?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Incognito10, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Incognito10

How much money do you think you would want or need to live comfortably? So what is a REALISTIC amount?

Given my region, lifestyle, habits and goals, I would estimate around $65K (USD) per year. I am in a Washington D.C. (Maryland) suburb.

2. Lyana

Given what I'm studying at the moment and if I stay on this chosen career path, I can probably expect about 40k (USD) when I graduate.

That's way, way more than I'd need to "live comfortably" since I'd be living alone, only having to feed myself. That said, I feel comfortable when I put money away (savings), so that would be nice. And I love travelling...

3. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I live in Mexico...So, $1,000,000 US dollars should be enough to cover my expenses for the rest of my life...

4. soag

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    60k. I have a lot of student loan debt. After that 40k is probably fine.

5. Rainbows~Exist

Enough to live in a nice house without debt and enough money on the side to buy things that I want but don't need :slight_smile: Or I'd just love to be stinking rich :lol:

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the Doc ^

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love a job that makes $100,000 a year.

8. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Once you have it, it doesn't really cut the mustard anymore. I have seen a lot of folks acclimate to making ever more money, and it never seems to be enough. It sure does help though.

I would like to think that $250,000 would be a good, comfortable annual income for where I live.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably around $125K. I basically want the kind of life my parents have lived: having enough to live comfortably and have some of the toys/luxuries (A vacation house up north, season tickets, that sort of thing). My goal in life is not to be super rich. It never has been, and it never will be. I never thought I'd quote this book for life advice, but it's still true:

"For the love of money is the root of all evil."

10. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No idea...the more the better I guess. But I suppose living without worrying about debts, housing, health and education is a must.

11. SkyDiver

Hmm... well I expect to have a nice high-rise condo in a big city and live there for half the year, while spending the other half travelling the world (business or pleasure).

300-400k?

12. Hiems

To pay my student loans ASAP, probably around $100k. Luckily that is the average job salary for an entry level community pharmacist, which is what I want to consider as a career when I graduate in two years.

I'm also open to specializing in a field, e.g. pediatrics, VA hospital, geriatrics, but I think that would require doing residencies, and the salary for that is probably lower. I won't pay loans as quickly by doing this, but at least in these fields, I would be pursuing a career that involves utilizing my education and knowledge to their fullest potential.

Eh, things to consider in the future. I still can't believe that I'm graduating in two years. Time flies o.o

13. SomeLeviathan

if I go to New England to teach philosophy, I'm expecting around 60k a year after paying student loans off.

enough money so I can live comfortably and indulge in Hobbies.

14. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I currently make about 27k I usually have some cash left at the end of the week. I'd like to step it up to 35-40k so I can afford a new truck but otherwise I have no complaints

15. Tohru-Chan

Double what I'm making now. So 50,000/year?

Or a bazillion. That would be nice x.x Life is so limited by money.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've been given a golden opportunity to increase my financial revenue, with the technicalities of my current job. I only work one day a week, for 3-4 hours, but I am paid as if I worked 40 a week. This is because it is granted by the city, so the public library that I work at, has to spend that money -- it just so happens, they don't need me but once a week.

Interestingly, despite this, I am eligible for welfare. Technically, I'm only "clocked in" for 3-4 hours a week, which allows me to receive food stamps, even state-backed insurance. This frees up quite a bit of money, allowing me to either have more, or to store more away for savings.

So, while I could live like this, I want to do more. I make about $18,300 a year, solely on my job. Due to food stamps, which are about $200 a month for me, we can add another $2,400. I am also provided a very basic cell phone due to welfare, which is all paid for, and while I am only allowed a certain amount of minutes each month, I pay nothing for this, and once more I can keep more money. By "renting" this phone out, I can make a few dollars here and there, on top of that.

Side jobs, such as finding "junk" on the road and turning them in, along with cans and bottles, rakes me about $50-200 a week. This can cover, at it's lowest, a utility bill, and at it's highest, almost all of them. Once again, by taking a few moments each day to pick up scrap off the road, and taking advantage of the local area's laziness, I save myself more money. Christmas is one of the best times to do this, because people throw out practically everything -- without even thinking, of the profit one can have, by taking it to a recycling center!

Sometimes, I'm paid for my services. I'll write somebody's term paper, usually for around $20, or I'll go out with them as company/wing-person, for about $50 (they usually buy me my meal, which means money saved on eating). While this doesn't bring in much money, it does leave me with "pocket change", which is what I usually use to spend on cigarettes or, sometimes, a bit of marijuana.

I sometimes hustle for extra money, if I need it, or feel inspired. One easy technique is, buy a large popcorn from a movie theater, which in most areas, at least around here, means free refills. If you clean the bag, you can always "sell/rent" it to others for a slightly cheaper price, with the irresistible fact: with this bag, you get free refills.

And sometimes, people "pay me" for helping them find certain things. Despite not having sold drugs in many years, I still know where to find them, and because of my connections, folks will generally come through me for them, if their general dealers cannot deliver. To show gratitude, they either throw me a few bucks, or give me a few grams of marijuana -- I accept either because, at the end of the day, I'm able to keep more money that I make.

So, while I get along just fine financially, at least to pay my bills and keep my gas tank half-full, I could be making more. I'm just fortunate that, with my situation, I'm able to be more picky about pursuing a, possible, second job. I've pestered the local news paper, hoping that they'll allow me to write weekly articles, allowing me to do something I enjoy -- writing -- with a fairly lax dead line -- once a week -- and being paid for it.

It's a win-win-win.

But that doesn't really answer the question...

To be honest, I don't know how much I'd want to make, because that would depend on my mood. I suppose, just having enough to be comfortable, to do what I enjoy, and to spoil those close to me, while having the basic necessities of food and shelter, is all I'd want.

But I know I'm capable of having a luxurious life. However, luxury is paid for with time, and I enjoy my time, because time allows me to actually enjoy life, as opposed to maintaining the image of living... if that makes any sense.

17. CyanChachki

Enough to buy food for a month, pay all my bills + rent, pay for my sports, pay for gas/car and about 200 on the side for a little extra money.

18. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love to be rich :grin:
    Not really sure about a job, I'll leave that for the future.

19. Yosia

Enough to live off of and be happy. So 30,000£+ probably.

20. timo

This thread. Materialism. What the fuck.

At the moment I make $22K/year and I'm perfectly happy. A bit more would be nice but I've found out more money is not necessary to do what I want.