1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wishing for another life....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MelG, Jan 31, 2015.

1. MelG

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you ever found yourself thinking or saying that you wish you had a different or other life? I mean not in the sense of your orientation or anything (maybe for some of you in that sense), but just like maybe born somewhere else or born into a different world I guess.

I'm not saying I want other parents or anything. I love my family and I can't imagine a life without them. I'm just not always happy with my life. I mean I sometimes I wish I could be someone that can do what they think is right, someone who can be confident and self assured. And sometimes I think maybe if I was born in a different place things would be easier. That it would be easier to be the person I want to be.

And it's not about my orientation, whether I'm straight, gay or bisexual, it doesn't bother me. I'm at peace with it. I just think sometimes that life would be easier if I was born someone else. A different personality and ultimately a different me.

I don't know maybe I'm just thinking too much.

2. Stripe101

I've always yearned to be alive during the jazzy 1920's but then I remember polio.

3. MelG

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why 1920's? I don't know why but I've always wanted to go to the USA. I wanted to be American. Something there is always calling me. It kinda feels like if I go there something might change or life would get better/easier. Kinda silly right?

4. Stripe101

As an American, I can't honestly recommend it or condemn it because I've spent very little time in other countries. But I've always seen a lot of glamour in the 1920's.

Silent movies reached their peak, economy was booming, and the Lost Generation came of age.

And let's not forget the flappers:

[​IMG]

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I wish I was born a cis male in Japan. I've always been Japanese at heart.

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2015 at 11:00 AM ----------

I love the flapper style. That lovely lady in the picture looks so elegant!

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Then you'll probably want to be someone else again.

There is decades and places I'm fond of, that doesn't meant I wish I had been born back then. The roarin' 20s were fun : Prohibition, the movies of Buster Keaton and Harald Lloyd, all the new 'electric' revolution and... The car revolution : The Ford T became the first truly 'popular car', everyone could afford it.

The 50s in America were very interesting sociologically speaking, and they left truly masterpieces of cinema. Back then you had stars, not just 'celebrities' like nowadays. Society lived in fear of being killed by an unexpected nuclear attack by the 'commies'. It must have been hell living in such a society...

I wouldn't want to spend more than an hour in no place before the 20th century.

If I had to chose a time to be born, I'd say the year BC7... In decimal system: The year 3015. More advanced civilizations will use hex. They'll probably stop communicating using elaborated grunts and use some numbers. Using this system, you can communicate more efficiently and in a shorter time. When people adapt to it and use it on a daily basis, the speed of the information that we receive and transmite will increase, and therefore will probably give us more time to think about the real thing and stop getting lost looking for 'the right word'.

They will also wonder how people like us didn't got upset about dying of old age and getting sick. I hope they'll have mastered the science of connectomics, so you could experience your own death if you wish, and then just come back...

I could go on and on the whole night about 'the future'... :lol:

7. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yea sumtimes.i wish i didnt go thru certain experiences that shaped me how they did lol..sumtimes i wish that i would still look the same and have the same likes and peraonality but born to white parents..(no racial offense this is just my opinion) im mexican lol..i love my mexican heritage but my family has sum wierd beliefs and ofcourse growing up here it sux..especially like how my parents arent really educated in the whole psychological ascepts of life like for instance: the men's machoism..my dad wouldnt let my mom work or even get all dressed up even shave her legs..its fuked up..it affected me cuz i hated my dad and was never able to trust guys..(ido now but i just dont like them like that) ...vs like how a guy from here is with his kids and wife..like dressing nice is just simply dressing nice..but the way alot of mexican males think is that its slutty or sumthing..its fuked up cuz i can see how ugly my mom feels about herself..and me well i always was a tomboy as a kid so my friends were all guys but maybe if my mom would dress up and like to look pretty i wouldve wanted to be that way too..im grungy as hell tho..and i hate make up..which is totally wierd cuz when i was a kid i used to really really want to be a model..but neway obviously we rebeled and got into drugs and all that crap at a very young age they were never home anyway and if my dad tried to hit us wed fight back so..eventually he stoped and now hes alot different..we can get along for the most part..still has a temper tho..i wish my dad wouldve been like the good dads from here..take their daughters fishing and are goofy and stuff...who knows maybe i wouldnt be gay..or atleast bi cuz women are just too damn beautiful lol..but besides that..umm..i wish i was more confident with killer social skills.lol..thats about it tho..i guess im happy with myself otherwise..few things here and there...even the perfectest of people feel at sum point in their life probly have wished for another life..its kinda like wanting sumthing..u want it so bad then u have it and u want sumthing else..

8. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of the time. Maybe if I was born in the 70s or 80s when the heavy metal scene was thriving, things would have been different.

9. Acm

Acm Guest

I do that a lot. Most of the time it's just me wishing I wasn't transgender, but I often wish I was born in a different country or a different time period.

10. Yosia

Yes all the time, I mainly wish I was a cute girl born in Japan, but I wish other things aswell.

11. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No as I have no reason to.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's fun to think about, yes, but when I really think about it...

I'm on the fence. On one hand, being given a reshuffle by life, might make life more of this as opposed to more of that. But on the other, I don't know learned I'd be, or have the beliefs and concepts that I do. I haven't had the worst life, so I'm fortunate in many regards, and there is a chance I could be thrown into worse...

Knowing my luck, I'd be a woman -- that was transgender. LOL!

Now, if I had a chance to pick and choose bits and pieces, then... well, it becomes more appealing. I'm more inclined to give into temptation. Of course, there is the problem of what kind of life do I select?

If you ask me, right this moment, I wouldn't mind having the life of Hannibal Barca. To be on the verge of such historic divergence, must have been an incredible feeling -- but also twice as humbling to accept as lost.

Sometimes the life we think we can't have, we simply don't because we think more so than we strive... or something deep and meaningful like that, LOL~!

13. Jellal

I've often wished for another life where I could go on adventures in a world filled with magic. But that, I suppose, is what fantasy is for.

14. CyanChachki

It may not look it, but everyone has their own problems to sort out. This is just the way of life. We have to sort these things out in order to be happy. Find out what you're unhappy about and then think of a solution. Remember that no one can just go from point A to point B. If we could do that, we'd have no problems. Baby steps. If you get knocked down, get back up.. in the end, you'll look back and be happy that you've gotten that far on your own.

15. MelG

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I understand what you are saying. I think its part of being human to want to change and strive for perfection in your life and with yourself, but I guess it's also part of being human by never being happy no matter how much you change. And you will probably end up in an endless loop of change.

I guess we need the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

We were made like this for a reason and given the lives we have for a reason. It's what makes us who we are and hopefully that is enough.

16. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wish I was born in Miami...Sexy guys on the beach, Mmmmm...

17. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've considered this. But in truth would I still be 'me' if I had lived a different life? A combination of genetics, experiences and memories are pretty much what make a person who they are. This alternate version of me would be more like a clone or identical twin, same genetics + different experiences = similar but not the same.

Every life has its ups and downs, some more than others, but I don't know if I'd necessarily be better off without some of the bad things, I might even be worse off for the lack of experience and lessons learned. Those who've had easier lives often seem to struggle more when things go wrong than those of us who've been through hardships and come out the other side stronger for it, and those who've suffered sadness seem to relish happiness when it happens rather than taking it for granted.

All of that said, and on a lighter note, I would love to have been alive/older in a time when certain people were alive, like Bill Hicks for example. But that's more of a time-travel situation lol.

#17 TigerInATophat, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  18. MelG

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I guess the things we've gone through in life and the things we've learned makes us who we are. And if we were born somewhere else or as someone else we won't go through the same things and we won't learn the same things and I guess we won't be able to be the same person.