1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alive in the wrong era?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by robotman, Feb 1, 2015.

?

What era do you think you were meant for?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2015.
  1. 50's - 60's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 70's - 80's

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. 80's - 90's

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. 90's - 00's

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. 00's -10's

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. Before or present times?

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. robotman

Ever thought that you were brought up/alive in the wrong era?

I was speaking to my sister about stuff and we were talking, we came to the conclusion that I should have been brought up in the grunge era, like I should have been a teen in the 90's instead of a child in the 90's. We came to the conclusion that my sister should have been brought up in the 50's with the swing music and ball gowns, etc...

So what era do you think that you would fit in better? I'm mainly talking about times within this century or just before it but if you think you are meant for the future or before just state what era!

#1 robotman, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreeing with you on the 90s!

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I enjoyed being a child and young teen in the 90s, in terms of pop culture and experiences. So, being slightly older during that era, that could be enjoyable, I think. Of course, when you're older, you tend to notice and go through things that, usually, you avoid when younger, so, that idealistic nostalgia may not hold up. Still, the 1990s would be nice to revisit.

I could probably handle the 1980s in terms of rebellious culture, but Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher? Yikes!

I wouldn't mind being a great general, back in an era where strategy and tactics were more valued, and couldn't be compensated for with computers and fancy missiles. Sure, one still needs strategy, but it seemed like it meant more back then. Of course this brings up the problem, what era?

I often feel my spirit goes to waste in this era. Not always, but enough to notice that feeling.

4. Stripe101

I just recently answered a similar thread so I will read to you what I wrote there:

I've always seen a lot of glamour in the 1920's.

Silent movies reached their peak, economy was booming, Harlem Renaissance began, and the Lost Generation came of age.

And let's not forget the flappers:

[​IMG]

Could anything be classier?

5. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Obviously things are better now but I would've loved to be young in the 60s and 70s. It seemed like such an interesting time, with all the protests, social change, countercultures(hippies etc). The best period for music as well

6. Zombi3

Hmm... I don't know sometimes I want to live in historic times, where there are less people. Like Castle and all that.

But then I want to be born in the futuristic times.

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Voted for wrong one, I meant to click 80's-90's.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am glad I wasn't born in the late 60's. Lots of gay/bi men who were born around then are no longer with us due to the AIDS crisis. We had this discussion last night at dinner with the men's group. One of them said of his group of 15 people, he and one other guy are left. That is sobering.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now. Or maybe in the future...

10. CyanChachki

80's to 90's. I was born in 88 but I wish I would've been born mid 70's so that I could enjoy the 80's and 90's more. The 90's where the best days of my life.

11. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I belong in the late 1800s, the music was much better back then and I would be able to compose the kind of music I like and have it more likely to be played. today, people would rather publish a score with "bang two pots together" written in than a romantic symphony. Apparently banging things together is more musical...

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm okay with where I was born. I was born in 1990 so I got to live out the 90's to the full extent as a child, and to be honest I think it was the best decade to just be a child. There were so many good games, music, and other forms of entertainment in the 90's, but honestly society itself was still pretty shitty and I wouldn't have wanted to live there as a teen or adult. I'd rather look forward to the future where things will just keep improving more and more.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The 90s bc things were getting better for lgbt no social media so no cyber bullying no annoying selfies, hash tags, plus some 90s games are really fun.

14. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, but we've come a long way for LGBT rights since the 90's as well though

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually think I want to live in the future. Like others said, there would be more acceptance for gay people, and America would at least be more diverse and welcoming of immigrants like my parents. I do think that I was glad to live before cell phones and tablets were ubiquitous among children. It gave me valuable time to read books, play outside (or inside), and just not be so tied to staring at a screen. Go figure I would start learning programming as a graduate student. :/

16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was also thinking of living the future. Maybe surgery will have got better. Maybe science will have started making organs and transplanting them. Maybe animal testing will have been completely eradicated. Maybe we will have electric cars everywhere by then. Who knows. All the things I want to see happen will probably happen, but the question is, will I live to see it all?

Also, I'm tired of all the transphobia and homophobia I see. I couldn't imagine leaving before and dealing with MORE of it.

17. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With the major exception of the environment getting worse and worse, life is better today than it was at any point in history and it continuously gets better by time. If I did belong to some point in the past, it would be ancient Europe around 2500 years ago, and I might be a famous mathematician like Euclid or Pythagoras!
    I'm worried that in the future, the environment will get so bad that the world will literally come to an end before the year 2150. Some say 2100 or even earlier. I sincerely hope things get turned around before it's too late. That's why I don't want to be born at a later point in time.
    I am glad to be born in 1997. I am too young to remember the 90's (I do have one memory from the millennium change to 2000, I think) but when I see "only 90's kids know about this", I usually know about it. I will live in a time to see things I want to see and get to do some awesome things. If I was born much earlier, I might get hate for being atheist or gay. It's not like I don't today, but I can take it.

18. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dislike this kind of thinking because it presents the idea that to enjoy culture from those times you have to have lived in those times

I'm especially surprised that on an LGBT-centric site there are people that want to live in the past

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2015 at 11:01 PM ----------

The future makes sense but still

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to live 100 years in the future.

20. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Nope, I'm good. I like having a future, thanks.