1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you parallel park?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Feb 1, 2015.

?

Can you parallel park?

1. Yes, I'm at least reasonably good at it.

64.0%
  2. Does running over the curb count?

32.0%
  3. Not if the people around me value their vehicles!!!

4.0%
  1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just moved and my new place has a parking lot around back, but it also has curb side parking. There were two open spaces together so I gave it a try. It took me longer than it would have taken me to have gone around the block, park, and walk back. The funny thing is I can parallel park a semi in a tight space, but I cannot hardly park my pickup to save my life.

So are you any good at parallel parking?

2. Hiems

I suck at parallel parking. I was taught to do it by using orange cones as reference points. Without them, it's difficult for me to locate the reference points. I kinda have to guess. It's really annoying to do -_-

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am TERRIBLE!

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did it well enough to pass my road test when I was 16! I haven't had to do it since then though...

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I did it on my test, and I don't intend on ever doing it again

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Small car - very good
    Medium-sized car - fairly good
    Large car - I worry where parts of the car might be as I'm maneuvering
    Truck, such as a rented one - I have someone motion to me from outside of it

7. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea, all 3 of them would wind up either on the sidewalk or halfway in the middle of the road if I were driving.

I never had to learn to pass a driving test and I grew up in the middle of nowhere so "parallel parking" meant stopping randomly on the edge of the road.

8. AlamoCity

I could do it OK if I don't feel hurried, but I haven't done it since I did it at the DMV.

Thank goodness I live in a region where we have more sprawling parking lots than anything else. Honestly, I'd rather walk a bit than parallel park.

9. Gen

Gen

I live in Los Angeles.

You either learn how to swerve into any open parking spot at top speeds or you don't survive.

10. AlamoCity

I really never thought of it, but I think the general premium large, congested cities place on parking spots is a reason why I would hate to live in a more densely populated city. For living in the 7th largest city (in the US), it feels more like living in a mega-sized sprawling small town than a metropolis.

11. Burnedcloset

I never had to. So.......I'm screwed if I ever need to. I guess I would have to see when it happens though....

12. tulman

I'm pretty good at it. I grew up in a residential neighborhood in Chicago where street parking was tough. Often the only spaces left were the short ones others didn't want to try. As a typical male teen with balls I thought were as big as coconuts and knew he was better than everyone else at everything, I took pride in filling those spaces. My sister would sometimes double park and ask me to park her Mustang, then hope one of the other cars would move before she had to go somewhere. Same thing when it snowed and there were just 2 tire tracks down the middle and you had to bounce over them. The city didn't plow side streets back then. Yes, we shoveled the spots in front of the house and practiced the long held Chicago tradition of staking out our territory with old chairs. They were rarely trespassed. Folks did the prudent thing and respected those chairs rather than risk flat tires. Ah, the good 'ol days.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't drive at all, so I don't think attempting to parallel park would be a good idea.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been known to effectively parallel park in a raging snowstorm, in the dark, on streets chocked with traffic while thumbing my nose at the guy who missed his chance.

It's a Canadian survival skill...

15. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's the bane of my independence!!!:tantrum:....I will never be able to go anywhere when I want to be and sneak-out to parties or malls, or shady parks with a sexy person. I can't rebel :'(
    I park one feet away from the curb and I'm a damned perfectionist so even when I'm told it's "good"(um it needs to be perfect), I ruin my position and start over for HOURS! Once I spun a full 180 on reverse while accelerating because my flip-flops slipped and I shifted wrong. The curb had a weird curve anyway....Needless to say, my mom kicked me the hell out the car and I hung my head in shame and laughter simultaneously. I make stupid mistakes and I'm a guilty speeder too.
    I want to blame it on my bad eyesight since apparently my left and right eyes have different visions. May be I'm making excuses:eusa_doh:

16. andhow

It honestly depends on the turning radius of the car. I own a cube van (Savana, ugh) and that thing drives like a fucking boat. Forget parallel parking in the city, it's just not happening, or in any pedestrian-scale neighbourhood. But whenever I drive any other sedan-sized vehicle it amazes me how fucking easy it is cram into small spaces.

#16 andhow, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  17. timo

I'm a fucking pro at it. No, really, I am.

Replace 'LA' with 'Berlin' and you have my life. All you can do here is parallel park :lol:

18. AKTodd

I can if I have to, but I really would rather not.

Todd

19. Lazuri

I learned it about a week ago and I was surprised at how easy it was. You really just got to know how.

20. stylesgirl

My driving instructor taught me so well that I passed my road test on the first try!

Pull up beside the car, make it so that you can see the other car's tail light in your back seat window corner, put car in reverse and turn the wheel one turn to the right and start moving slowly, when your passenger side mirror lines up with the other car's tail light, you turn the wheel all the way to the left and move slowly again, and BAM I end up perfectly parallel! :slight_smile: