1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hearing Issues

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Feb 2, 2015.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Anyone else have some form of hearing loss or a hearing disorder on here?

I should start. I have APD, which is auditory processing disorder. Think of it like dyslexia for the ears. But basically means I have some trouble processing sounds and conversation.

Auditory processing disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone else have some kind of hearing disorder?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a good amount of hearing loss because I had so many ear infections as a kid. They were worried that I would never be able to hear. I'm also really prone to getting ear infections now since I had so many when I was a kid.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have some form of Misophonia. I hate hearing people eat or just make sloppy sounds with their mouth and it makes me angry. I usually leave or cover my ears to prevent it. If I'm forced to stay and ear it, I get aggressive.

I'm also prone to infection and ear wax blocks. My ear canals are smaller than the norm and my right ear canal is crooked.

4. Justinian20

I've had severe hearing loss since I was a young un.

5. Romi

I'm honestly not sure what this would be classified under, though I don't think it's an APD per say, but I sometimes have a lag in hearing what is said to me and processing what was said. For example:

You: Did you see what Mary was wearing?
    Me: What?
    You: Did you see wha-
    Me: Oh...what Mary was wearing? Yeah I saw that.

Somewhere in between me asking you what you had already said and you starting to repeat yourself, my brain catches up and I figure it out and start responding. I've never had it checked out. Maybe I should, but my list of medical problems is already longer than me. :\

And that includes plenty to do with my ears.

I have Tinnitus, both Pulsatile and Nonpulsatile. I have since I was young. It's likely in close correlation with the neurological issues present in my situation. And I also have one ear drum that seems to be a bit different from the other according to the doctors.

Who knows. Plus my brother has CAPD. He had those tubes in his ears when he was little. And I'm always jesting about going deaf. Good thing I've taken an interest in sign language. Heh.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Luckily I don't have what you mentioned. I often zone out when the conversation bores me, but that's not the same.

I had a nasty otitis media as a teenager, so one of my ears hears a bit less than the other, but both are able to catch a needle falling at the other side of the room.

7. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Never heard of this before, but researched it and I'm surprised to see my symptoms correlate dramatically to my situation. I have this pet peeve where if people don't talk to my face directly, I get frustrated because I don't understand them. These people further piss me off when they call me deaf which I think I'm not because I often hear sounds that people can't quite catch. I'm a strong visual learner and I need to see people's lips or body gestures to understand the context of their speech. Do you have this problem in particular? I find phone calls so awkward and uncomfortable because of it.
    I also have this strange ringing in my ears that get gradually louder and make me want to grit my teeth. Someone mentioned it and it rang a bell with me(an apt metaphor because that's how I described it to my doctor haha).

8. Romi

That would be tinnitus. It is the worst. :\