1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Californians, (my views on prop. 8 in letter form)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Amy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Amy

Amy

On Tuesday, November 4th, we, as both a nation and a state, will have the choice to change the environment in which we live. We can vote for an African-America to be president. We can vote for a woman to be vice-president. We can vote for better treatment of the animals we, in turn, eat. We can vote for equality in marriage. We can vote for women's rights. We can even vote for high-speed transportation.

Out of everything on the 2008 American and Californian ballot, there is the one proposition that I oppose the most. It is Proposition 8.

"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." ~ Proposition 8

This proposition has nothing to do with voting for same-sex marriage, it has to do with preserving the civil rights promised in our constitution. If passed, Proposition 8 would write discrimination into our constitution. Our constitution states that all people are treated equally under the law.

No one is asking you to vote yes on a proposition that would allow same-sex marriage; we are asking you to vote no on a proposition that would deny people their civil rights.

Many people have used the argument of religion, stating that Proposition 8 would protect religious freedom. It does not. Proposition 8 destroys freedom of religion. Yes, many Christians support Proposition 8 stating that it is their religious beliefs that cause their support. It is my Christian beliefs that cause my opposition.

Christianity is not the only religion in our country. There are many religions that support same-sex marriage as their teachings include equality. Unitarian Universalism is based off of the core principals of Christianity and Judaism, yet they oppose Proposition 8 to the point of many churches giving out No On 8 signs after services. Passing Proposition 8 would only allow full religious freedom to the few.

Family Code §297.5 states that "domestic partnerships shall have the same rights, protections and benefits" as married couples. Domestic partnerships are available to both same and opposite sex couples. If Proposition 8 is passed then marriage would become a special right to opposite-sex couples.

I am attending my fourth school and have never been told anything about marriage besides that it is something to be taught in your own home. When I attended Trinity Baptist, I asked my teacher what would happen if two brides or two grooms got married. She said that we would learn about all marriage at home. I would consider that a rather direct question about same-sex marriage, yet I was told that I would be taught about marriage by my parents. I later attended Leo Croce Elementary School and Our Saviour Lutheran School and am now attending Livermore High School as a sophomore. I have never been taught about marriage of any sort at any school.

This proposition is not about education. No child in the state of California can be taught anything without the consent of their gaurdian(s).

The Yes on 8 Campaign states that "Proposition 8 protects individual expression." It does not. This proposition is about marriage, nothing else. If Proposition 8 fails to pass, nobody will loose their rights. If it does pass, seventeen percent of the population will loose a civil right and their individual expression.

In 1954 there was an infamous trial. It was Brown vs. Board of Education. This was not about marriage; it was about segregation in schools. The popular opinion was in favour of the Board of Education as African-Americans were supposedly inferior to Caucasians. The arguments in favour of segregation in schools are ridiculously similar to those in favour of Proposition 8; both using the Christian Bible, freedom of expression and education as arguments. Today, we know educational segregation to not only be unfair, but to be complete and utter denial of the civil rights promised in the Constitution of the United States of America.

You may have heard this from me before, and I am going to say it again. Put aside education, put aside your own religious views, put aside anything you have heard from anyone, and ask yourself if you really want to deny rights to seventeen percent of Californians because of whom they love.

Sincerely,
    Amy Leona ******
    Livermore High School Interact Club Co-Historian
    Livermore High School Gay Straight Alliance Vice President
    Livermore High School Jefferson Award Committee Chairwoman

-----------------------------------

yomp

thoughts?

2. kh23172

I think it is great. We have something similar in florida, called Amendement 2 or something.. I don't remember exactly. I've paid more attention to Proposition 8 to be honest, although I can't even vote anyways. I agree, it's wrong to pass these bills because they take away universal rights to a lot of people.. it's ridiculous.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah Amy! That was great!

4. Amy, that rocked ^_^

5. Amy

Amy

thank you!s to all!!!

im thinking of printing it off and giving them to /certain/ people on my street.

6. Amy

Amy

the comments on my note (facebook) are getting a bit ridiculous.

really. its sad.

7. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

That's awesome!

8. Amy

Amy

i really could make the fundamentalist christians who commented cry for their mothers (thank you lutheran school), but i didnt. proud?

9. Amy

Amy

Ladies and gentlemen, procrastination at it's finest. Here are some of the highlights of the comments. A month after the last comment was posted.

[someone opposing Propp. 8]

------------------

I though you would enjoy reading some of them. Discuss if you wish.

O, and the last comments include taking marriage out of government completely and the origin of marriage.

10. Nixon

at least in 1978 they voted down prop 6

Teachers rejoice