1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disorders

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Brandiac, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't expect a wall of text here, I'll get straight to the point. Why is it, that these days literally everything you do or feel differently from the majority is considered a mental disorder? When I see something like "Social Anxiety Disorder" I feel the need to vomit because it's like telling the person to be sick. It's fucking natural, some people are afraid of things, and some people like other things. Why make it seem like a disease and reduce people to patients in the process? When a person likes eating furniture you bet that is a disorder, but also if someone is shy and reserved???

2. Yosia

All kinds of disorders are natural.. For example if you have a speech disorder, its most likely from natural reasons.

However i do agree that simply being shy and reserved should not classify as a disorder.

3. TheStormInside

There's a difference between "shy and reserved" and "social anxiety disorder," just as there would be a difference between "the blues" and "depression." It's considered a disorder because of its severity and the fact that it impedes your ability to function. If someone is just shy and doesn't speak up a lot, that's different from someone who avoids social gatherings, can't form bonds with people, or suffers in their work/career because they have such extreme anxiety in dealing with other people.

4. jaguwar

jaguwar Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think telling someone they have social anxiety disorder is telling them to be sick. It's diagnosing them so they can be treated accordingly. it's just a shame that there's this stigma with mental disorders that make people afraid to be diagnosed with one.

5. CyanChachki

There is a fine line between being normal and having a disorder. If someone is naturally afraid, a therapist can look at it as just simply being afraid or they can look at it as anxiety. They don't just assess you for an hour, label you with something and fill out a paper to shove pills down your throat. No. This stuff takes months, even years to figure out. There are different characteristics to each thing. If you have some but not all, then they don't diagnose you with it. I mean, sure, anyone with an anger issue can be diagnosed with bipolar but bipolar has specific characteristics that anger issues don't have. Someone with bipolar can get mad at anything. They can be totally fine and happy one second and the next second, they can blow up, which is why they're assigned medications. Someone with an anger issue, however, would be sent to anger management.

The main reason why everyone "seems to have issues now" is because we're A) advancing in science as a whole and B) because you where a kid and didn't realize any of the world's problems.

6. Tmy14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This.

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I completely agree. While there are genuine mental disorders, there are also some that I believe are just cultural constructs created by people who believe everyone should act the same.

So many people have called me "fucked up in the head", "crazy", "mentally-ill". They say I'm a sociopath.

But really, what is a sociopath? Someone who doesn't feel empathy, who is emotionless, and who lacks morals.
    These are things considered "bad" by society. And since society is afraid of those who are not morally "right"; "good", they have the urge to call it an abnormality.

Oh no, I'm crazy because I don't give a fuck about others. But you aren't because you care too much for your own good.

It all comes down to the basic flaws of their primitive psyche. "If it's different; if I don't understand it, it's evil and scary!"

Hell, I even saw something about a mental disorder, that's symptoms were:
    Behaving eccentrically; having strange and unusual hobbies and interests.

Well, I suppose I got that too. I must be a fucking nutcase.
    And if being "crazy" = being different, I'm proud of being loony.

8. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Agreed.

I'm actually offended by this thread. I do not appreciate people invalidating me and my experiences. I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder. I'm not just shy and reserved. No. I straight up avoid social interactions because they scare the living fuck out of me. I am so scared that when I walk past a person or group of people that they talk about me. I am so scared of the judgement. And people like you just make it worse. I have for the first time in my life actually been able to join and contribute to an online forum here without being so scared of what people are going to think.

I get what you are trying to say, that we make just about everything a disorder now, but sometimes we are right to make that decision.

9. MisterTinkles

The majority of the people out there refuse to take any responsibility for themselves or their own actions, so they invent all of these "diseases", "conditions", "disorders", and "afflictions" and give them names and make it seem like they are victims, when in fact the people around them are the victims.

You aren't FAT because you stuff your fucking face full of food every 30 minutes.....your FAT because of the chemicals in the foods.....your FAT because there's a drive thru every half block....your FAT because the companies who make snack foods put SO much sugar and salt into their products!!!!

You aren't an alcoholic because you are a freeking LUSH who can't keep from drinking a case of booze every night until you pass out in the gutter! Oh no! It's the fault of the wineries and liquor companies for making such a product! It's the fault of society for treating you so badly that you "HAVE" to drink! It's your bosses fault for treating you like crap!

As long as people REFUSE to have any decency, ethics, or self-worth, they will continue to find someone else to blame for their inadequacies and refusal to do what is right for themselves.

So the rest of us have to pay for all of these benefits, healthcare programs, and other things like that to these people who are really nothing more than leaches, draining society and the government of money that could be better used for schools and getting rid of corrupt politicians and corrupt police.

#9 MisterTinkles, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here. I take meds for it. When you one is afraid to even answer the phone some days, that is a lot different than someone who is naturally an introvert. I have been an introvert my whole life, but I got a lot of anxiety the beginning of last year when I decided to come out. I am still afraid to drive in snow because I have had some close calls over the years. I am afraid to even hang out with friends at times because I have gained a lot of weight. Some people are paralyzed to the point where they have to work up the courage to go shopping because they might run into someone they know. So, there you go. It's like saying, "Everyone has pain" to a guy that got hit by a truck and is clinging to life.

The same could be said for PTSD, "Oh everyone has flashbacks to certain sounds and has traumatic events.":bang: One person could have been raped or have their arm shot off while at war. That isn't everyone's life. End rant.

11. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think many disorders are real. However, I do believe there is a lot of false diagnosing. There are kids who really have ADHD or OCD or Social Anxiety Disorder etc., and there are kids who were falsely diagnosed. All types of disorders exist, but it's really all about how one manages them. People can live normal lives with various disorders, but it will only hold them back if they let it.

If someone says they have a disorder, you should take their word for it. However, one should keep in mind that tests for such illnesses are not always conclusive.

Edit: I'd have to agree a bit with Ningyo on this. Some disorders are simply made by society to get people to conform to what they think is right.

#11 Skaros, Feb 3, 2015
  12. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think everyone's missing the point. You all got hung up on the mention of social anxiety disorder.

But there ARE some "disorders" which are either over-diagnosed, or are plainly social constructs. See my example.

13. PossumJack

Social Anxiety Disorder and such are definitely very real disorders, but I do think that there is an over-diagnosis of mental disorders these days. A huge example would be ADHD, which has been diagnosed in a ridiculous amount of people in my school. I know for a fact that 50% of the people who "have ADHD" in my school don't even take their meds, they sell the Ritalin they're supposed to be taking to other students.

14. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know how anyone thought I was there to be offensive or disregard their problems but whatever. If someone is diagnosed it's obviously not their "fault" not like it is anyone's fault.
    Well whatever, I give up creating threads because apparently all I do is show immaturity or don't understand something and wanting to change that is offensive. Any mod who drops by may delete the thread.

15. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In addition to what's been said, I think it's important that we have names/labels that provide diagnoses for these conditions. It aids in the treatment process and promotes awareness, so that associated stigmas can be lessened.

Some people may have taken offence because by saying what you said you're invalidating the fact that they have genuinely debilitating conditions. I think you didn't mean to offend anyone which is great but sometimes it would do to be a bit more tactful.

You should make threads about things you want to discuss. I mean you learnt something from the responses to this thread, yeah? Maturity is accepting your errors and learning from them.

#15 raiden04, Feb 3, 2015
  16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't take anything offensive from your post, I was simply responding to the other commenter. I WILL say that ADHD is over diagnosed for children in order to feed them pills at times. Social anxiety though is a very serious matter.

17. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think some of the things you said, Phoenix, didn't really come off right. I get what you mean, but I also get why people were bothered by it.

Like, I have quirky habits and do some things that might be a little OCD-related. And I had someone tell me because of that that I might be slightly autistic. And I just thought that was really stupid. For one, it sounded like they were really cheapening what "autistic" means and it might be an insult to people who really deal with autism and Aspberger's. Secondly, because I'm not a drab predictable one-note person, that means I have a mental disorder?

I think there is a fine line with these things and some people just don't see it.

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your example of social anxiety is a bad example. I think it can be over diagnosed. It's funny, nobody really understands what other people are going through until you go through it yourself; even then, you may not understand the severity. Social anxiety is not just being afraid. It's a crippling, chronic, anxiety that causes physiological symptoms and generally inhibits a person's ability to function severely in normal situations. It's very intense, unavoidable feelings. Work or school can become impossible. Some people can't even leave their home. And it's not just a matter of "get over it." I feel it's likely socialization, but that doesn't illegitimize it, and it's not "fucking normal" to have social anxiety. People should not have to live life constantly feeling crippling anxiety. I think a diagnosis legitimizes the disorder and allows people to seek treatment and get relief. I don't think it reduces a person to a disorder.

Anyways, your example sucked and I think comparing it to a "normal" fear is what garnered the negative response it did. You're wrong. However, I do agree with the sentiment in general. I believe there's a term I learned about in sociology: "the medicalization of deviance." We do tend to label things as disorders that may be natural variations in behavior, and we are doing it more and more. Also, I do believe there are plenty of incompetent psychologists and psychiatrists who hand out diagnoses (and medications) like candy.

19. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly, I didn't mean to make it seem like SAD is something negligible, I do realise it is very serious for those who struggle with it, but when someone is simply shy and others say "you have a disorder" it's just another case of overdiagnosing. I've been called autistic before for making it to prestigious competitons and clearly those people have no idea what the term really means. I have learned something here and hey...at least I felt like a piece of shit this whole day after reading the responses in the morning so I got what I deserved.

I attempted multiple times to confront a psychologist because I had a lot of problems socially and felt very much alone and it started to become troublesome and tiring. Every single time she pushed a paper in front of me to collect data...so if I was just a bunch of data to her I figured I should just deal with it alone and I stopped going. I have some kind of a problem myself, but due to the lacking opportunities and service (no time, no money, no professionals around), I will not know what to call my problems and have a guide to fix them easier. I used to diagnose myself too which really shows that although I say now that I don't like when these "labels" are misused, I was one of them doing exactly so.

I don't even know why I'm typing all of this because I will keep bashing myself for how stupid this reply was just like last time. There is something awfully wrong with me here...

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To sell you pills and therapies.
    Everything is for sale or to buy nowadays, including health. So, they want you to believe you are sick and you need help.