1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you volunteer to colonize space?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EpicConfusion, Feb 4, 2015.

1. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. If the opprotunity arose, and say NASA was looking for volunteers to climb aboard a spaceship bound for an earth-like alien world, would you do it?

2. What the spaceship would not reach the planet within your lifetime?

Answers-
    I personally would go for it without a second thought. Sure I would be leaving family and friends behind, and that would make me extremely upset, but it' the chance of a lifetime! No, a million lifetimes. I would do anything for an opprotunity like that. I'm sure hand-crafting a brand new society from nothing wouldn't all be fun and games, but just imagine what it would be like...

This one, I say no because as I would obviously not much help in the procreation department, there would be no point in me going. They would probably want people to keep the generations going as it would take some time to arrive on the planet. I would basically just be dead weight, so to speak, and a life living in a spaceship doesn't sound too apealing.

2. CyanChachki

No. If I where born in a time where it was 100% successful then I would consider it but if they try it now then they're heading into trouble. If our sister planet is really like us, then there are beings that already live there and I can bet a million dollars that they would treat us the way that our government treats them - like test subjects.

3. Nikky DoUrden

But ... no more pizza ? ;(
    I have a suggestion - pull out Canada and put them in orbit around earth. there! i'll join them! we dont need the rest of the crazy world!! woohoooo

4. Yosia

No. Like Justy said, we would not be welcome and there is a high chance that they will do what a different country would do if you invaded them - declare war. And if they are more technologically advanced than us then we are just going to get obliterated.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd go to the moon if they had a basis there already and were looking for people to work on the colonization, a.k.a. working on building, repairing stuff...
    The call of the wild moon... Sounds good to me.

6. Lazuri

Just because a planet has everything required to support life doesn't mean it will actually already have life, especially if we'd have terraforming technology, though that was left out of the question. Besides, even if there'd be life, the chances that it would have life that's on our technological level or above is astronomical at best. We'd even know, because they'd be sending radio waves bouncing around in space whether they were attempting to contact other lifeforms or not.

Personally, I would do it without second thought in both scenarios. Space fascinates me and the opportunity to see parts of it that nobody has ever seen before.... That's worth almost everything to me. I wouldn't leave without my fiancée and son, though.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Lazuri. "Earth-like" doesn't mean "developed societies". The probability of intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy is quite high, but for one particular planet? Nigh infinitesimal. The only reason we know it happened once is because it happened to us. So it's safe to say even very good prospective worlds will be clear to colonize.

I'd absolutely go. Even if it were a generation ship that would not get there in my lifetime, I'd go. Then I'd get to be a part of humanity's greatest undertaking, and maybe tell my kids and grandkids what life was like on our bittersweet blue marble. Not to mention space is freaking wicked and even if it meant dying out there, I am drawn to it. Earth may be the cradle of humanity, but no one is meant to grow old in a cradle.

8. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While space fascinates me greatly, I would not go.

As an earth-like planet, it would probably already have living creatures.

Let's say the creatures were "human-like":

- If they were more advanced than us, we would most likely be used by them.

- If we were more advanced than them, they would most likely be used by us.

Human-like creatures or not, what right do we have to go there and colonize? The reason why going there in the first place would even be necessary, would be that we're not taking care of our earth. I mean, I doubt money would be spent on sending people there, if it wasn't for the possibility of moving even more people there. What is there to say we would treat our new planet differently?

Let's say this planet is perfect in every single way. We're taking care of it. Everything is hunky dory. More people would like to go there. Would everyone get to do? If not, who would?
    It would probably be we, in the global north, who would. We have the money. We have the funded the whole thing! Right? Our current earth isn't good enough for us anymore. Why is that?
    Oh, that's right, our lifestyle wasn't sustainable. The people we leave behind to take care of our crap, are the ones who, along with the earth, were used by us.

9. Lazuri

I like you, we think alike on this.

10. kem

kem

Maybe. If travelling in space meant I was privileged to be among the first to receive anti-aging and life-extension treatment, sign me up! The conditions in which I would be travelling would also be relevant; do I have colleagues to keep me company? Would I be able to work out, create are?

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1 - Maybe. If I pushed myself, I would meet the physical requirements. I guess there are worse things than ripping out your fingernails. It also really depends on the duration of the journey. I can't imagine staying sane on a 10 year trip. Of course, I'd be way more likely to go if this was in the future and the technology improved a lot.

2 - Nope.

12. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It sounds appealing, but, for now, I can't leave my life here behind.

Also, I agree that even on an earth-like planet there's barely any chance of meeting creatures as advanced as us. But, in case there are advanced beings, it's better that we find them before they find us.

13. MisterTinkles

As long as there is a supply of chocolate......hell yeah!

If I didnt reach it in my lifetime? Well, then why even go?

14. fulcrum

Not sure.. I think I might. Few things can top that kind of adventure. Just imagine seeing a different sky with a different moon. Maybe even 2 moons. Or 2 suns. How EPIC would that be? :-D

15. White Knight

No way I would lead humans to colonize any race... Our history full of savage things human did because they thought other race/color/religion/sex/gender is inferior...

However it might be other way around, I would help another race to stop humans... for their own good and of course for the good of planet Earth.

16. Lazuri

To see space.

17. timo

No fucking way I'm leaving everything behind for something unsure. I'd rather give my spot to someone who actually wants to go :slight_smile:

18. AKTodd

Almost certainly yes. Although if we've got the tech to field even a generation starship, I'm not sure why we'd be bothering with a planet. Orbiting space colonies and modified asteroids and moons make much more sense. Planets are nasty, dirty things filled with inconvenient features like hurricanes and earthquakes and such and are at the bottom of a deep gravity well. Better to build our own rather than muck around with a chunk of rock.

If it's aliving world like Earth, we can always study the lifeforms and exploit their DNA (or whatever they use) via genetically engineered lifeforms of various sorts. Better to make use of the information developed over billions of years of independent evolution than to just live on it.

Todd

19. Images and Words

for this reason, no.
    if pizza wasn't a thing? yes

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Nope. I like it here on earth, with the cities, clubs, nice clothes, and good food.