1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Think of Holiday Cards?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

With Valentine's Day fast approaching, this has got me thinking about some things -- one of which is this question:

What do you think of holiday cards?

Do you like them? Do you find them totally without feeling? Is it something you do? If you don't like cards, or even if you do, would you prefer a home-made card instead of store-bought?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only cards I really like are "Thank you."

Otherwise, I try to just write someone a letter.

In other cases, I arrange a time to call, or agree to meet someone over Skype.

I feel like those media all do a better job of conveying my caring. :3

~ Adrienne

3. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think cards can be nice, but if they're store-bought, they better write their own personalized message in it, otherwise I don't really see the point in sending them.

My mom sends Christmas cards with a picture of our family, but she always writes personalized messages in each one. It's just a nice thing to do, I think.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only cards I tend to send are birthday cards, and very few of them. I send out fewer and fewer Christmas cards, too. I hate the ones with the inserted form letter bragging about everything someone's family has acquired and has been up to. The senders don't even add a line or two to personalize it. In one case, a friend was going on and on for several years about how his son was doing all the right things to go to this ONE choice college. Well, as it turns out, he didn't get in. I felt bad for the kid, but not that bad for the dad. For these folks, it's just the card, the form letter, and a signature. Thankfully, I don't know many of those "types" anymore.

5. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like holiday cards. Usually I don't keep them though the only one I saved was the first one my girlfriend gave me.

6. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    The same way I think about decomposing garbage unwanted and crappy......hand written cards are different and so are cards with money in them :grin:

7. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of the shop-bought cards are just generic and over commercialized. That said, if someone makes the effort to choose one that has personal meaning then I appreciate the intention regardless. I tend to do home made cards where possible especially if it's for someone I really care about. Failing that I will try to find the most personal one I can.

Admittedly I don't have many individuals to get physical cards for so I can focus more on them. My mother doesn't really do cards anymore and there's only person in my small social circle that still exchanges cards with me. I also send one to her elderly mother on her birthday and Christmas, because even though I don't know her that well I do pop over to see her at least once every time I go to stay with my friend for the weekend. She's about 94 and has been housebound since she had a stroke so I think it's nice to give her something to brighten her surroundings, she does get cards from family as well but I think it's a nice little extra to get one from someone who is not 'obliged' to do so, it's all too easy for older people to feel like the world outside of immediate family has forgotten about them. She seems to really like them and I even got a little Christmas gift from her last year.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Normally, I like them, it's nicer than say, a birthday Facebook message that basically amounts to 'Oh, this person realizes I exist,' i mean at least they bothered to actually go out and buy something. But without a personal message of some sort they do feel a bit empty.

9. Bluewolf7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to send out a ton of cards, though not near as many as I used to. I always like getting them, I prefer them over E-cards any day, plus I always enjoy opening my mailbox to something. Makes me feel good getting them. Though I now have so many collected that I have recieved from others over the years, it's hard to get rid of them yet know where to keep them at. The ones bought at stores have gotten spendy, and making them is fun. I've done both. And either way I appreciate them.

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I always get ones that say "daughter" or some shit.. So yeah, not a good experience.

11. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally do not send holiday cards to anyone. I don't mind getting one, and won't chew my wrists off if I don't get one. Pretty much indifferent to it. :shrug:

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Cards and letters tend to pile up through the years, doing nothing but gathering dust and taking up unnecesary space... Plus you feel like a jerk when you need to throw them away, so I'd rather have a 5-10 minutes chat over the phone, or an e-mail.

... But if you must, then an original letter, something random and creative, a piece of yourself, something I'd probably feel like scanning before I throw it away.

Yeah, I know : I'm a jerk.

13. TheStormInside

I like getting cards. I put them out for awhile and it makes me smile to think someone took the time to send it whenever I see it there. As for sending them, I never seem to have myself together enough to physically send out cards in time, but I like to do a quick illustration and post it online for people every holiday season.