1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living at home during college: does it look lame?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Feb 5, 2015.

?

Does it look lame to live at home during college?

1. It looks a little lame

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. It looks responsible

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. No one really cares

36 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. Anongirl123

At school, I hear a lot of college talk going on, especially with rejection/acceptance letters coming in soon. The general consensus (at least among the people I've spoken to) is that living at home during college not only sacrifices the college experience, but also looks kind of...lame.

Do you think this is true, even if people are polite enough to not say it out loud? This isn't the first time I've heard the stereotype that living at home during college is a little juvenile. I mean, a lot of your peers are living alone and 'being adults' for the first time, and your growth is pretty much stunted by still living with your parents. You're kind of behind the other students.

I've also heard that living at home during college is a turn off for dating.

Not necessarily the most encouraging thing to hear for the soon to be college students who weren't planning on living in a dorm anyways. :frowning2: So what do you guys think?

If you went to college (or are in college), you can say whether or not you lived in a dorm, lived in an apartment, lived with your parents, or had some other arrangement.

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in college right now (not to be confused with university, though. I'll be getting there, but not now). I had no choice but to move because the city I grew up in didn't have my program. I'm living two hours away from my parents and friends, and sometimes I get lonely. Most of the people at my school are still living with their parents (what I go to is the equivalent of college, but it's called cegep. Instead of 4 years, it's 2, or 3 if you're doing a tech). If there is a college/university in your city and you don't need to move, it is reasonable to stay with your folks. It's just that some people don't have the choice if they want to be able to study in the place of their choice.

(Though, I do prefer living independently. It's making me more responsible and I get the chance to discover the capital!)

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Those who would have such a serious problem with anybody living at home, is either pissed they can't do that, or they hold a narrow view of "success".

Sure, one could argue, living at home during college may look lame, but let us think about this for a moment...

College isn't cheap. Unless you're going to school off mommy and daddy's money, it would be absolutely insane to go to school AND work full-time. I mean, when are you supposed to have time to study or sleep?

It isn't where you are, it's where you will be. In this case, do what you need to, and get through school. In the end, when you get your diploma -- just like everybody else; living at home or on their own -- you'll be fine.

If it helps, in my personal opinion, it's much smarter to stay at home during college, especially for financial reasons. You can earn more money to go to school, which makes it less of a strain on you, allowing you to focus on your studies and life, with as less stress as possible going on.

As for me, I stayed with my maternal grandparents. However, I had to make my living there worthwhile. Basically, pitch in for utilities, tend to the house, and just not be an asshole. All a lot cheaper than living on my own.

This is community college, you know, that one everybody tends to look down upon, LOL.

4. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lived at home for my one year. If I go back, I still plan on it.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know plenty of people who live at home around here and commute. It saves you a ton of money.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't worry how it looks, but I do think it was 10,000 times as fun to leave home, and get to explore the world, and not live with my parents when I was 18. It brought me out of my shell, and turned me from a shy introvert and into a sensitive, empathetic extrovert. If I had kids, I'd definitely send them away to college, and encourage them to have a good time. I had my most amazing years in college...some very crazy times, met tons of amazing people, did a few wild things, but all in all, I'm so happy I went. Also met my mate (well, husband, now!) when I was in college, after a naked party involving, er, things that made you hallucinate.

But that was back then, and now, I'm just an innocent pup working in a library :slight_smile: Well, not that innocent.

If you can afford to, I say by all means...LEAVE the house! Have fun, meet people...oh, and also: Study!

(Grew up in Traverse City, went to Michigan State)

#6 HuskyPup, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. AlamoCity

I don't think it's lame. I actually lived at home during my college years. The hell I was gonna pay an extra $30,000 to have a "college experience." I still spent most of the day on campus or nearby, so I didn't miss out too much.

I was actually a finalist for a scholarship that was a full ride PLUS room and board and REQUIRED one to live on campus. I didn't get it, but the school threw me enough scholarships that I graduated debt-free and not a single hour of work-study. So, in the end, it turned out fine. If I had actually won the big scholarship, I probably would have spent half the nights on campus and half the nights at home because it was the time my grandma's health was starting to deteriorate and it was all hands on deck. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have minded living on campus full time, but I don't regret it either.

If anyone says living at home is lame, they are just immature and/or doesn't understand that everyone's situation is different.

8. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Let me tell you I lived at home during college. It isn't lame. I was a regular party monster, going out every weekend, I threw lots of parties, drank a lot. Creep through some of the older "What are you thinking?" threads. I pretty much live blogged it. I lived a pretty typical "college experience" life from my parent's house as did most of my friends. I also went to a rather expensive private school and saved myself probably $40,000 or more in dorm costs. You have to pay for it someday and when you're more mature and that's actually coming out of your pay check, you will be very fortunate you did yourself that favor. At least I am.

Sure, it might be a turn off from dating for some people. But, college is a tumultuous time in your life. Odds are that those relationships are not going to last the long-term. You're changing, they're changing. Everyone's busy interning, and working, and in class and sports and clubs and whatever. There's lots of opportunity to meet people and in my experience, a lot of people were really promiscuous. So even if you find someone odds are good that they aren't looking to settle down and even if they are, go to their place. No big deal.

And I don't think that I was any less mature than any of my classmates during that time. I was interning and clerking for a Judge, and rehabbing heroin offenders in my hometown. That's not an opportunity a kid gets handed lightly. Like, sure, it took me a hot second to learn how to do my own laundry and dishes and those typical things parents do for their children, but that actually isn't that hard to do. It's more about the dedication and motivation to just get it done.

#8 Kidd, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
  9. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I STILL live at home! Saves me a lot of money:slight_smile:

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live at home and commute (~20 min) to school. It saves a ton of money, so I don't think it's lame. It doesn't seem to be considered lame when I say it; however, people do call my college a "commuter school." A lot of people commute compared to other colleges, I think. Most people understand how expensive it is and can understand the need to save money. That said, if you can afford it, I think the college experience of moving out may be worthwhile.

11. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live at home and I'm halfway through my undergrad at the University of Toronto.

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh, no, it doesn't look lame. Know what looks lame? An extra $6,000-$8,000 on your tuition bill from living on campus.

It kind of sucks (at least it did for me), but I'd recommend to try to live at home during college if you can.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did it, but my family wasn't rich and I was surviving on just my scholarship.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good man. You make a good point.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2015 at 09:32 PM ----------

I also lived at home for undergrad.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2015 at 09:37 PM ----------

Right. I don't think people care.

Here's the thing: you have to consider if you are in a city (or suburb of one) or in a small town. Big cities or metros tend to have good schools and many to pick from. Then, you can live at home. I was a commuter in a larger city. For the school I picked, it worked out fine.

However, weigh whether it's a school you really want with a program you want versus staying close by because it's the path of least resistance. Neither is wrong, and the latter works when you either don't have the money or can't afford the loans after it's all said and done.

If you are in a small town or if the school you are looking at and accepts you is one that is good and good for you, you just might wind up moving away to college.

#14 Tightrope, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, so nobody went away? Where I was it was far too rural to have any Universities. I lived in the dorms the first year, and then shared houses with friends, off campus, after that.

And those years I'd pay any amount to have back...definitely was worth it for me.

I say go far, far away. Live it up, see the world!

16. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who gives a fuck if others say it's lame? Seriously people start judging others for the stupidest things now. I won't be in a campus and I'd never want to be. I like that no random strangers tell me what to do and how to live even in my free time and that's something I don't want to lose. And there's a fair chance that I'd have to stay with a bunch of crazy assholes anyway. I'd rather take the bus + subway ride every time.

17. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

You shouldn't be worried about whether it looks lame. You're going there to get an education and hopefully a college receipt- er, degree, and not to look cool to people you may very well never see again after four-ish years (or even after the first semester as I found to be the case). In my time at college no one really said anything negative about the commuters, everyone has their own situation and way that works for them.

That said, choosing a school that was too far from home not to live on campus was a great decision for me. Getting an apartment just off campus was an even better one. Then moving in with a friend in another apartment where most of my peers lived outside the opposite edge of campus was a betterer decision.

18. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you should care whether or not it "looks lame." I do think you should care what kind of educational experience you are getting, and I have to say that for me being out on my own but still in an environment where there was some sort of safety net (I lived in college housing) was an invaluable part of my college education. I think it really is true that a small portion of what you learn in college is learned in the classroom. I think "college" is more than just a piece of paper that allows you to get a job, it's a learning experience and part of that experience is being out on your own. You can accomplish that kind of experience while living with Mom and Dad but it's going to be much more difficult.

19. dreamcatcher

If somebody were to judge me because I lived at home during my college years, I would think that they are incredibly immature and ignorant. Not everyone can afford to pay an extra 6-10 grand a year when the prices for tuition are already at an all time high.

20. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, does everyone have a university which ALSO offers their program of choice in their city here? Wow, you're kind of lucky, you all. There is only a dozen universities in the province here and you're guaranteed to move if you don't live in a huge city.