1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what age did you move out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowGreen, Feb 6, 2015.

?

At what age did you leave home?

1. I still live home

32 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. before 16

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. 16

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. 17

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. 18

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. 19

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. 20

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  8. 21

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  9. 22

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 23

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  11. 24

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  12. after 24

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, just wondering at what age did you guys move out of your folks' home? With the topic about moving to go to college, it made me curious. I personally moved out at 17 to go study. It may seem young, but my mom moved out at the same age as me and never went back. She would visit her family, but she never moved back. I want to do the same.

So, at what age did you move out and why?

2. timo

I moved out when I was 19, to go to university in a different part of the country. Best decision I've ever made.

3. Lyana

In high school (from 14 yo) I was a boarder, so I wasn't really living at home even then, but I'd go home for the weekends and holidays, and it's not like I had "moved out." But I went to uni at 17, and I guess that's when I'd say I moved out. Even though I still go back for holidays.

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm hoping to move out this year, probably the end of the school year (so April/May time) At that point, I'll be 20.

5. lemons123

Looks like I am the only who voted the "23" option...already feel kind of old (26 now) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Joelouis

I had a big disagreement with my foster parents and moved out two days before my sixteenth birthday. It was a bit of a shock to the system for sure, but I managed to get by through determination and stubbornness.
    Many months followed of Weetabix for breakfast, dinner and tea!

7. Burnedcloset

I'm still living with my parents but, hopefully just maybe I can move out by the time I'm 19-21.....

I'm really hoping.

8. TheStormInside

Well, I moved out for college at 18, but went back summers, and returned for about a year and a half after I graduated until I got a job where I made enough to support myself. So permanently, I suppose 23 or 24.

9. Tohru-Chan

I moved out when I was 17 for University and never moved back in.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live at home. But I would like to move to Portland Oregon by the time I'm 20. I would also like a bf by then.

11. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I didn't so much move out as was thrown out lol. My mother had difficulties with her tenancy/rent and generally managing her affairs which culminated in her being evicted and me along with her, when I was 18. We were homeless for a bit, I grudgingly stayed with my father for a while before having to leave in a hurry, then stayed with a friend for a few months until I finally managed to acquire a place of my own. Funnily enough I still live with my mother now at 29 but it's my tenancy, she stays with me as a lodger because she's not able to live independently and needs me to do things for her.

12. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm hoping to make it out soon depending on how things pan out. :shrug:

13. ANewDawn

I first moved out as soon as I turned 16 and boarded out of state for my last two years of high school. I moved back home after my third semester of college :/ will hopefully be moving out and going to college once I turn 21.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have an... interesting... living situation, nowadays.

Before 18, it consisted of:
    - Live with mother & father.
    - Live with just mother.
    - Live with mother & step-father.
    - Live with father (hated it).
    - Live 2 days homeless.
    - Live with father again (hated it even more).
    - Live with grandparents.

18 and beyond, it consists of:
    - Live with grandparents.
    - Live in jail for a week (not bad, but not fun either).
    - Live with grandparents again.
    - Live with mother & grandparents.
    - Live with mother & grandmother (grandfather passed away)
    - Live with just grandmother.

And this is where it gets interesting. My mother was in and out of jail for a while, so it was usually just my grandmother and I. Well, my grandmother eventually remarried, but for a while remained here. Originally, she was going to move in with her new husband, while giving me a year warning to find somewhere else to live. My grandmother intended to sell the house by then.

My opportunistic ass saw an opportunity here.

I convinced my grandmother to go ahead and move, and let me stay. I'd work on getting my own place, but in the meantime I would keep the house tidy and operational. This meant less work for her, and I could live by myself. So, operating under that agreement, I sold "merchandise", while legally working, and accumulated money. My grandmother agreed to pay for the utilities, which I kept low, as not to incite her into stopping this. All I had to do was pay a basic rent, which was cheaper in the long run, than any other place.

A few months before a year's time, I told my grandmother that I wanted to buy the house. She was hesitant about this, but when I showed her how much money I could throw down -- and getting her to include my past rent in the down payment. When I showed her how clean her home looked, and the work I put into improving it, she was sold...

... so, technically, I've never really moved out on my own. I was just left on my own, if that makes any sense. My grandmother covers the electric, water, and taxes, while I have the phone/cable/Internet, while also paying her rent. The end goal here is, to buy this house from her, which is already fully paid back.

The story should end there, but it doesn't. My mother, finally clean off drugs, needed a place to stay. My grandmother decided, she could stay with me, since the house was big enough for the two of us. I accepted, because the house is large enough.

Needless to say, it often has a tense sitcom-like feel to it. My mother and I don't exactly get along, but we both have to "behave" for our landlady, who also happens to be related to us, so we can work together -- if it means not being kicked out.

To be fair, this environment has allowed us to work on repairing the relationship we had, but it still feels like a damn television situation, LOL.

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what you mean by move out. I still visit for one-month periods once a year or so.

Last time I spent more than that was... I believe the Summer of 2012. So I was 20.

16. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Forgot to mention in my above response; during the time after mother and myself were evicted we spent a two week period staying with this... well basically a religious sect or similar enough to one. It was an 'educational' experience let's put it that way!

17. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Still living at home, mainly financial reasons. Hopefully that'll change within the foreseeable future.

18. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I left when I went to University--seventeen I think.

19. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm moving out in a couple of months.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Commuted to college. Broke when finished. Stayed at home for about 3 years to save some money and get my bearings. The fact that the area was expensive didn't help matters. Most of my friends were staying home anywhere between 3 and 5 years after finishing college. Those who went straight to grad school in the area all continued to live at home.

Not in the slightest bit embarrassed about it. I find parents who shove their kids out the door at 18, if their kids are college material and they live in a fairly large and expensive area with numerous college options, to be more of an embarrassment.

Somebody was visiting us one night and voiced this opinion and I gave her a piece of my mind. My parents didn't care. She was the daughter of these elderly friends of theirs who conveyed this attitude and she booted her kids out the door at 18. We never saw her again but my parents also disliked her. We would also rehash that night at the dinner table every now and then as in sort of a "memory lane" thing.

#20 Tightrope, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015