1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could an object sexual ever get represented in the media

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Driftr

I was thinking just now before I began to start to watch Glee online "Well, what if people of other harmless niche groups of sexuality (and in general) begin to demand representation in the media just like us LGBT are?"

It made me want to ask this question to you guys. Do you think object sexuals (the ones who are attracted to soft objects) would ever get representation and be taken seriously on top of that? After all, they can argue that it is only okay if the objects are not sharp or anything.

Come to think of it, are object sexuals even being bullied out there? Are they made to feel like second class citizens? I know for sure they're not deemed sinful in any religious books. I highly doubt that people out there would disown a family member if they were object sexual so I don't think it can compare to being LGBT. Do they even need representation?

One more thing. I have heard one or two straight people whining that LGBT people don't deserve representation because we're such a small percentage of the population anyways, so who cares? Could we be doing the same thing to object sexuals just because they are a small percentage of the population? I know it's really weird and unsettling, but to me, it's still an interesting thought.

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard of this, but never met a so called "object sexual." Thus, from my observations I'm going to conclude there are not very many out there. So, I think LGBT people get more representation because they are simply a larger, more prominent, and/or a more vocal minority; it is to be expected that a larger group has more representation in the media. Homosexuality is so prevalent that I don't consider it a niche.

Also, I think there is a lot more in common between a straight couple and a gay couple (two consenting human being adults) than a straight or gay couple and an "object sexual." So; I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

To your point on it not being sinful... Isn't masturbation a sin technically? An object sexual would be considered to be masturbating. If someone was a serious object sexual, I think it's quite possible they'd be disowned simply for being perceived having a few screws loose. Now, people may not find mental insanity as good of a reason to disown someone as them being homosexual, but I still think it happens.

And about LGBT representation... I think in an ideal world the media would represent groups in proportion to their population. Ie, almost a random assortment of people. I don't know that gay people have more representation than their population size right now.