1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic police?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FANTIE, Feb 7, 2015.

1. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Years ago a non-come out couple were caught in a club, one of them was beaten hard by a bunch of idiots and when he reported them to police, police yelled to him to get off the office calling him a faggot and HIV +. Our law supports homosexuals. And he also was abandon by his family and then killed himself.

What am I supposed to do?

2. ANewDawn

Despite all the progress we've made there's still a long way to go. Only thing you can do is have hope that things will get better soon. I know that's not very helpful, but I don't know what else to say.

3. maselalala

This is true. However, I still want to be a cop.

4. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's better to have more gay cops ... more freedom to talk about homophobic crimes.

5. Gen

Gen

We can make as much progress as we can, but authorities are no less capable of being homophobic, sexist, or racist than anyone else off the street. Getting to a point in our justice system where there is more monitoring and accountability for those who hold so much power in society is what will make a difference in the long run.

6. Stripe101

Any justice system is only as flawed as the people involved.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like the police all that much. So many are on a power trip, the stress of the job takes a toll on their home lives, and they are phobic on many levels - they have issues with LGBT folks, minorities, and other demographic groups. The news is full of these sorts of stories. Also, if people here get upset by snap judgments and profiling, and some do, the police are among the worst at this. In a way, their survival often depends on it. I think it's best to keep one's nose clean and avoid them if at all possible.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my own experience (local PD in Florida) they were fully accepting of gay people. I had a feeling that it was not 100% agreement with the policy, as some officers included LGBT topics more enthusiastically than others. But it's not the same legal system it used to be. Not only is there department policy mandating officers serve the public equally, but there are some openly gay cops as well.

Law enforcement is moving forward at the same rate as the rest of the popular opinion, which makes me happy. :slight_smile:

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not up here. They still run red lights and make u-turns without their lights on and still hate LGBT people. Then again, this whole county hates LGBT people. Not one city in the county has non-discrimination laws.

10. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well at least I got reminded that I shouldn't rely on cops if I get into a dangerous situation ever. But it's not like they have too many around here in the first place. If I got attacked out of homophobia, the police would probably just help the attackers anyway.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was amazed to see how many states are still red on marital status protection in employment and other similar demographics. So, being single can be hazardous in some states because it's almost the equivalent type of discrimination based on suspicion. BTDT.