1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Competitive Are You?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Feb 7, 2015.

?

How competitive are you?

1. Very!

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Not very.

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Make it personal and I can be.

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. It depends/Other.

20 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Pretty straight forward.

How competitive are you? A lot? Some? It depends?

How do you handle losing? Especially if it happens, with something you believed yourself capable in and of?

What do you think of competitive situations or individuals?

2. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm very competitive.... if it's very easy to outshine the rest, I will prepare more... If It happens to be more challenging I don't try to compite until I'm at my very best

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2015 at 03:09 PM ----------

This only applies to knowledge (both, academically or musically), I suck at sports and I don't care being #1 at it

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really not competitive at all and take losing in my stride. I'm kind of indifferent to losing really, I'd even say I'm quite relaxed about it sometimes. I'm sure I shouldn't be so laid back about it, especially when I see other people getting really mad and frustrated about losing at something, but it really doesn't bother me that much. I guess I channel my energies in other directions?

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Not very" isn't nearly strong enough of a phrase to describe how few f***s I give about "beating others."

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends what I'm doing. If it's a job or something that matters then yes, if I am just playing a game then I don't care. Although it is fun to beat people who are competitive about everything

6. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I would say im quite competitive, I really hate losing. You can learn a lot from losing but I still feel a little fustrated and sometimes down when I lose, espeically when its something I feel that I can win.

If I know that someone is better then me at something then I dont usually feel that bad about losing and just accept that they are better. This happens a lot when I play Tennis :/.

7. badluckfairy

I'm the most competitive... So I win!

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of the time not. But I get pretty competitive (out if all things) over board and card games :lol:

9. iiimee

I'm competitive, but a good sport. I like fun and games, so if you want to make a bet, I'm all for it! However, I can keep my pride away from the serious stuff.

10. Notlad

... I'm the most competitive person I know. I hate losing. If I lose something I legitimately care about, I'll be in a fowl mood for a while.

11. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends, when it's about something dear to me, I'd like to do my best but I always consider the circumstances, so I will not bash myself for losing if I had no chance to begin with. The positive part of pessimism is a little less disappointments.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only get competitive when I've been winning for a really long time and I don't want to lose my winning streak.

Otherwise, I am not so competitive. I find it odd how important it is to people to win, and how upset they get when they lose. My sister is super competitive, so whenever we play a game together, if I win my sister gets angry and I don't care that I won, and if my sister wins she's super happy and I still don't care. :lol:

13. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Under the standard definition of 'competitive' meaning to compete with others; generally I don't engage.

However I can be very competitive, oddly enough, with myself. Once I start doing something (whatever that may be) I'm going to push myself to keep going till it's finished or to do better than previous attempts, even when that isn't particularly sensible. Case in point: I'm currently dealing with a lot of bodily aches, especially my legs, because I tried to restart my physio exercises at the level I left off several weeks ago when I had to take a break. I knew in the back of my mind that it would be more sensible to build up gradually again, but see once I got started I wanted to take it all the way, because 'earlier me' from those several weeks ago was able to do that. This would probably be fine if I had a relatively healthy, strong body that was able to handle it, but nowadays with my difficulties it's something I have to keep an eye on. It probably comes from the fact I have an aversion to comparing myself to others, so I end up setting my own standards and therefor competing with myself instead.

I can't physically do sports anymore, but even when I could competitive sport was the bane of my existence growing up. Good fucking lord so boring and utterly pointless. Sports day in school was a guaranteed migraine having to spend the day clustered amongst a group of constantly screaming hyped up kids who screeched through each and every activity as if it somehow mattered in the scheme of things who won. And of course having to also participate in said activities with a pounding head was even worse.
    The most challenging thing I found was trying to deliberately lose (to ensure I wouldn't get through to a semi-final race) without looking like I was trying to lose. To be honest by the end of primary school I had given up any pretense of acting like I was interested and instead just started having fun with it. I would casually skip along in last position smiling at the crowd as I passed; making it fully clear I had no interest. Perhaps if there had been some kind of prize or incentive it might have been another story but I wasn't going to care just for the sake of it.

In terms of non-sporting things the only times I tend to be competitive with others would fall under a few circumstances:

There is playful competition, where if it's all in (genuinely) good fun then it's enjoyable regardless of winning or losing because it's more about the process. This can quickly go pear-shaped if done with the wrong people however. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had to deal with family member tantrums when they don't like losing at Playstaion or Scrabble lol.

Then there's times when someone pisses me off or generally causes problems in some way, in which instance I tend to instinctively have an 'I will win in one way or another in the long run, even if it takes me a long time, I WILL come out better for it' attitude. I've gotten better with this over time and learned to let stuff go, seeing as I don't want to end up dedicating too much of my focus to something or someone that isn't worth it; it ultimately ends up being a waste of time.

#13 TigerInATophat, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  14. robotman

I'm so competitive (especially when I play games) that it is stupid lmao...

I always hated losing in games from when I was a child and now that I am older I am even more competitive lol... I mean, I am semi joking/semi serious when I lose or win haha, usually everyone I am with laughs (I laugh aswell) and it is a laugh... I mean I don't mind losing but sometimes I have this "let's play again until I win" mentality haha.

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I am very competitive. And a little bit of a sore loser. Haha.

#15 NingyoBroken, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
  16. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually don't tent to care. But when it comes to certain things... well... I tend to be very competitive.

17. Burnedcloset

I'm fairly competitive with games of any kind. In everyday stuff I really don't care.

I can be a sore loser sometimes........

18. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not very competitive. I can think of a few things that I can be competitive in (knowledge of Gundam Wing for example) but it's all light-hearted and I don't take it very seriously.

The only time I can remember being well and truly competitive was when my sister and I used to go drinking. That did not end well...

19. Thedistra

Not very much. I got very competitive playing WoW years ago, I really didn't like competitive me. Looking at every healer as an opponent instead of a team mate. I kinda disgusted myself and I certainly wasn't having fun while doing it.

It just isn't for me, lol.

20. CyanChachki

It depends. I swim and bowl competitively and in some things such as art shows or competitions, I do get a bit competitive but I'm not really. I don't feel like I have to be the best at everything or always in first place. I would rather just have fun and be happy.