1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vaccines

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Feb 8, 2015.

?

What are your thoughts on vaccines?

1. Vaccines should be mandatory, with the only exemptions for medical reasons

65 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. Vaccines are good, but allow religious/philosophical objections

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Vaccines are good, but parents should be able to decide if their children should be vaccinated

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No Opinion/Other

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Vaccines are bad because of religious/philosophical reasons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Vaccines are bad because of health reasons

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, vaccines have been a pretty contentious issue in the US right now, mainly due to the recent measles outbreak. I was wondering what people on EC thought of vaccines. Remember to keep the discussion civil and to remember the CoC when discussing.

2. AlamoCity

I've always been immunized against the standard diseases by my parents and didn't become autistic, not that a population sample of one is big enough :lol:.

Vaccines are probably one of the greatest medical breakthroughs in our history. Even if vaccines were to cause autism or other disorders in some people, the benefits to individuals and society would outweigh the risks. While I do respect parents' rights to weigh the risks/benefits of any medical treatment, they should be aware that they participate in more riskier behaviors that they may not even give second thoughts to.

I am an advocate of continuing to research vaccines and make them more allergy-friendly. Maybe not now, but maybe in the future we could have vaccines that are egg-free (I don't have an egg allergy, but others do).

My libertarian side advocates allowing for religious and philosophical objections to vaccines, but I'd do my best to convince people to vaccinate themselves and their children on schedule.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2015 at 02:23 AM ----------

Reminds me of this :lol: :

Actual discussion:
    Parent "I want #Ebola vaccine for my child"
    Doc "There isn't one, but we have #flushot"
    Parent "We don't believe in that"

http://twitter.com/allergykidsdoc/status/529665665045893120

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose "Vaccines should be mandatory, with the only exemptions for medical reasons" because this is the closest selection to my opinion. I feel like when I went to school, vaccines were mandatory...? Thus, I think the simplest answer would be to require vaccinations of children who will be attending public school. To bypass vaccination, you would need to home school your children, unless your child has medical reasons for not being vaccinated. I don't believe in forcing people to get their kids vaccinated if they have reasons for being against vaccination; however, I also don't believe they should be allowed to expose other children to their unvaccinated kid who could be carrying diseases that could be transferred to unvaccinated kids who have medical reasons. Hopefully this would give some freedom while reducing the numbers of unvaccinated children. It's really tough to chose a side. Admittedly, I have not looked into the research much myself. However, I trust the medical experts who have studied disease extensively and endorse vaccination, as opposed to random people who think it causes autism but only know that its "something to do with their being mercury or something in the vaccines."

I can't really see any religious or philosophical reasons why people would be against vaccines. It would mean you're against modern medicine in general... there isn't too many groups except some extreme groups like, maybe the amish? who believe that.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I almost said parental choice, but then changed my mind: mandatory. Because if some dope declines to vaccinate their kids, they can start an outbreak that affects other people in severely detrimental ways. There is absolutely no reason why a person would ever choose not to vaccinate** without a medical waiver.

If I'm invalidating the opinions of any who feel it's bad or should be the parents' choice, well, I recommend learning about vaccines and changing your opinions. Supposed negative effects are basically (kinda-sorta) correlation and pseudoscience.

**Except for the flu shot. Never gotten one and don't much care to, as the flu is too much of a shape-shifter to effectively immunize ourselves against it.

#4 Argentwing, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I chose vaccinations should be mandatory exempting religious/philosophical reasons (this obviously also excludes people that can't be vaccinated for medical reasons right?). I know a lot of people that aren't able to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, so there definitely needs to be a majority that are vaccinated for the good of everyone.

I've had all my shots except the 2nd round of HepB (because the 1st one made me really sick) and I'm fine. In fact I test above average, have never had attention or behavioural problems, and, well yeah, am 'normal' I guess (at least in this sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

6. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I chose option #2. Like Austin said, public schools require certain vaccinations for kids before they advance grades. Anyone with objections should either homeschool or otherwise isolate their children so as to not increase the risk of spreading deadly diseases.

And some groups that reject modern medicine do so because they believe that God will "heal" them of their sickness if they pray enough and have faith. This has 100% not worked as of yet, last time I checked. One group had a private cemetery with literally hundreds and hundreds of children, toddlers, and newborns that succumbed to easily preventable illnesses.

On second thought, I retract my vote and instead vote for option #1.

7. Hiems

Even if people choose not to get vaccinated, herd immunity may help mitigate migration of disease. If most of the population is vaccinated, then the remaining non-vaccinated population is so scattered that the chance of them coming into contact with someone carrying immunogens is low.

However, you can't rely on herd immunity to avoid getting sick, as indicated by the recent measles outbreak, for instance. This is why it's so important to be up-to-date on vaccines, unless patients are contraindicated for receiving them.

8. badluckfairy

Mandatory with exemptions for medical reasons. I just think it is riskier to not have them.

I also think that the only other vaccines to be optional are those at the trial and study stage.

9. antibinary

The only reason someone should not get jabbed is if they are allergic (and get something worse that swelling/headache.)

10. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Vaccines should be mandatory with the exception of medical reasons because we "eradicated" measles in the US. Guess what friggin popped up in California? That's right measles! Because people are dumb and don't/didn't vaccinate their kids, they put others in danger, especially those who are too young for the vaccine and those with compromised immune systems.

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, trying to give a different point of view...

If you look up the UN charter, a vaccine is a proposal. Nothing else. Its there for a reason.

Those trusting in technology, there is a company named Micro* who does updates.
    There were updates which were very detrimental to the state of a running system.
    This was only found out later. So many admins run a policy of waiting quite some time before running those updates. Its not all as it was promised.

Meds are not without side effect. There are quite a few lethal cases to be expected.
    Look up the number for Aspirin worldwide, for example. I can tell you will be surprised.
    Its quite a few zeros there.

Nobody wants a big brother to tell you what you eat, for example.
    It was always those exceptions "in the best interest of others" which were most widely abused.

I trust people have a head and use it, together with their doctors.
    Its called freedom.

12. SomeLeviathan

The community has a positive moral obligation to protect its citizens. Some rights are things which you cannot violate under almost all circumstances, like free speech.

The right to bodily autonomy when it comes to vaccinations however is not something that trumps the public health concerns of the community. Vaccines should be mandatory with the exception of allergy to components of vaccines and very weak immune systems.

tldr fuck your freedom get vaccinated.

#12 SomeLeviathan, Feb 8, 2015
  13. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mandatory. If someone is against vaccines, this person doesn't have enough knowledge about how they work.

We have an interesting episode in history, here in Brasil called "Revolta da Vacina" (Vaccine's Revolt), in 1904.

In resume, Dr. Oswaldo Cruz (physician, bacteriologist, epidemiologist and public health officer) convinced the congress to approve a mandatory vaccination law (october 1904), which, in my opinion, was a good thing at first sight. However, the problem is that the law allowed the police and the sanitary brigade to invade people's homes and apply the vaccines by force if someone refused to get vaccinated. The population rebeled against the violence, and the city of Rio de Janeiro errupted in a battle. According to Wikipedia, 30 people died and 110 got wounded.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_Revolt

Nowadays, we have mandatory vaccines, but obviously, without the violence of 1904. Things are working pretty well here, now.

#13 Chiroptera, Feb 8, 2015
  14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First choice and this shouldn't even be a debate.

15. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is no personal, philosophical or religious decision to be made when it comes to vaccinations.

16. Fafner

First one without a doubt. Penn and Teller put it really well:[YOUTUBE]RfdZTZQvuCo[/YOUTUBE]

17. maselalala

Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder that is caused by a flaw in genetics. A lack of immunizations, or even the immunizations themselves do NOT cause autism or any autism spectrum disorder.

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I can't believe so many people chose mantdatory.

Do you even know the crazy shit that's supposedly in vaccines?!

Everyone I know who has had vaccines got horribly sick from them.

19. maselalala

And luckily, my mom gave me every shot needed xD

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2015 at 11:27 AM ----------

This is true. I'm not gonna blindly inject anything in my body with the label "vaccine".
    I ALWAYS do my research before I inject myself with something that might not even be worth it.

20. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I had to get a lot of vaccines when I moved to Senegal and I didn't get sick from any of them.

I'm hesitant to say anything should be "mandatory", but it should be about as close to mandatory as you can get.