1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When You are the First Person Someone Comes out to

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jguy365, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The other day, in the wake of a rather unfortunate and untrue post that appeared on my Facebook profile, I was forced out of the closet. (I already posted anout that in anither forum a few days ago.) It all seemed like a huge disaster, but some good did come from it.

A few of my friends have messaged me about the event that ocurred. To my surprise, one of those friends chose to use it as a chance to come out...for the first time to anyone.

I don't know...there is just something so special about someone having picked me as the first person to know. As I most certainly know, telling the first person is absolutely nerve wracking and is the beginning of a long and emotional journey.

Besides that, I did recieve a few more messages of support. I am very grateful to finally be discovering who my real friends are.

Has anyone else had a moment like this? I don't know, I'm just kind of currious. I will definitely be directing my friend to thos website as I'm sure she will seeking advice.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never have had that happen, but I issued an invitation to everyone when I made my coming out post on FB. :slight_smile:

3. CyanChachki

One of my sister's friends came out to me before she came out to anyone else via MSN messenger. Her parents are really against LGBTQ+ people and she was afraid that no one else would accept her so she asked me for some tips on coming out. It made me feel happy that she would seek advice from me.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't experienced it, but I do suggest to everyone that you keep in contact with that person. The guy I came out to I knew as a friend-acquaintance. He was very friendly, but he really let me down after our first meeting, especially when I had a major depressive episode and left a message that I had come out to my mom, who didn't take it well. He could have stepped up to the plate and been proactive even if it was just giving some positive words, but he didn't, and I had to find other help (luckily my university's counseling center and LGBT center were fantastic in this regard). This was really hard since I'm introverted and don't like to talk about personal issues.

Bottom line: some people are scared and don't want to be a bother. If they come out to you, they need more than a text message or one meeting to get through this difficult period.

5. Vinyl

I agree with resu - Your friend may just need someone to talk to, and someone who would understand. Coming out is different for everyone, and plenty of people just need that one friend to help them get through it. <3