1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality a Lifestyle???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sjmobley, Feb 10, 2015.

1. sjmobley

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone else find it offending that homosexuality is listed as an alternative lifestyle on wikipedia? I'll post the link below so that you can see what I'm talking about. I'm not sure how I feel about this, then again anybody can edit wikipedia so it might just be an ignorant person's mistake. Never once have I considered homosexuality a lifestyle. I mean, I was born this way so I just don't get it.

Alternative lifestyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hear so many straight friends refering to homosexuality or bisexuality as a choice "if they choose to live that way, it's fine with me. I don't judge." etc. My comeback: "Well, I am glad you don't judge people; that's great! But you know, it isn't really a CHOICE." yeah... that gets to me really... it's not really a lifestyle choice; it's being true to who you truely are just like hetrosexuals have the freedom to be true to theirselves. Sooo yeah, I don't care for that wording.

3. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The wikipedia page in question is marked as having multiple issues. I wouldn't dig into it too much.

4. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well being LGBTQ and add any letter you may want, isn't a choice, but living according to the stereotypes is. And it's a choice I'll never make. I can't say I find it very offending because I'm giving less and less shit about what the world thinks.

5. essie

Compared to fetishism and sexual perversion. Nice.

6. Lipstick Leuger

Well, I have heard this but I have to say that saying ' they choose to live like this' is actually saying ' they choose to live life and to love who they love' In other words it's choosing to NOT live in a closet and hide that we love someone. We choose to NOT pretend we are straight and we choose to NOT hide our lives. IF that is a choice, then I guess I chose to do it.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This one doesn't bother me. I did not choose to be attracted to men. But I definitely choose to live as an openly and proudly gay man. I could have chosen a life of fear, despair, deception and bitterness--many do. Instead I chose to live a life of pride, honesty, openness and love. I'm proud of my lifestyle.

8. Formality

It annoys me a bunch when someone is completely convinced that homosexuality is something that you choose. I often answer by saying "when did you choose to be straight?" or if that doesn't work I go for a more... let's say, aggressive approach "So you can choose to get a boner from looking at men?" or something of that sort. Something to get them to think "maybe it isn't a choice...?"

The argument that being gay is a lifestyle is ridiculous. Yes, I choose to live it out, but I didn't choose to be homosexual. If you can use the argument against homosexuals, then you can do the same against heterosexuals, because they also "choose" to live as heterosexuals, even though they didn't choose to be attracted to the opposite gender.

#8 Formality, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015