1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 year old me (similarities with the past and present)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Belle the Bee, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What were you like when you were 8 years old? I'm thinking back and realizing the 8 year old me knew what was going on. Current me and 8 year old me are surprisingly similar. I was still a tomboy and had just started to write stories. My favorite song was Stir It Up by Bob Marley. I loved Roald Dahl. I was also 8 when I had my first kiss which was with a girl. Tons of similarities. I thought it was interesting. Is 8 an age of similarities for you or do you have a different age like this?

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The 8 yrs old me is drawing female character and i remember that my parents are scolding me for drawing too much girls and telling me that it will lead me to being gay and i will burn in hell for it. lol :grin:

3. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm struggling to remember if certain events happened specifically when I was 8, or either side of that age. Maybe because of the age I am now (29) I'm starting to get fuzzier on the details, some of the younger members will probably have fresher memories. But off the top of my head:

I too was writing stories at this age. I received a kiss on the cheek from the boy who would later become my only attempt at having a boyfriend. But at that point we just hung out and played ninjas, which reminds me: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers! My favourite cartoon was the Animals of Farthing Wood. Rik Mayall was my favourite comedian (on account of The Young Ones, Bottom, Drop Dead Fred). The Lion King came out around this time which I watched a lot although that might have been when I was 9. I believe my interest in medical/pathology also began at age 9 rather than 8. I did a lot of paper-mache, and played with my cat Lucy. There were a couple of colourful water pistols I got around this age. I remember tipping the contents of a bowl of coco-pops out of the window onto the head of a nasty girl from my school when she just happened to pass by the building. Had a bitch of a teacher early in the year, then a really lovely one with curly hair and nice perfume that in retrospect I believe I had a crush on later for the end of it. I pissed off the headmistress a fair bit. I started spending a lot of time out of the house on my own doing various things or with neighbour children around this age, because I was old enough to do so and increasingly wanted to stay out of my parents' way as the atmosphere grew worse.

In terms of how similar I am now, well certainly there are aspects of my character there that are still present in me now, certainly in terms of my interests. Circumstances were quite different however which effects a lot of it.

#3 TigerInATophat, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

1994, I believe it was, when I was 8 years old.

• Bill Clinton was President of the United States.
    • O.J. Simpson's trial was blowing up.
    • Russia, still reeling after the collapse of the U.S.S.R., were, finally, pulling out of Eastern European countries.
    • Tupac Shakur was shot, but survived.
    • Kurt Coban, lead singer of Nirvana, "committed suicide" (depends who you ask).
    • The Lion King and Forest Gump were dominating the box office.
    • Green Day drops their album "Dookie", which was a favorite of mine.
    • Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, of TLC fame, burns a house down.

Interesting world.

As for me, personally, I was having a hard time "connecting" with other kids. Despite bits and pieces of good times, this wasn't exactly a great time for me in some aspects. I was either picking on other kids, sitting alone, or getting into trouble for being disruptive.

Home life was, at times, tolerable. And others, annoyingly frustrating. Mother was, almost always, strung out on drugs, while my father wouldn't spend much time with us. My sister was about 4 or 5. I'm sure I was giving her a hard time.

In terms of personality, I'd say I'm mostly different. While I still have bouts of frustration, I handle them a lot better. I also don't maliciously pick on people; it's all in good fun nowadays. I'm not as physically prone as before either, though I will protect myself if need be. About the only similarities I have from then to now is:

I still feel distant from my mother, father, and sister. Of course, with my mother, some progress has been made. It has to, since we are both "renting" from the same home; but we still keep pretty far apart, only coming together when it is absolutely necessary, or the other needs/wants something. But I can definitely say, it's better than it was before. As for my father, that isn't ever going to work out, and my sister, well, she's set in her ways. Maybe in another decade or so, she might take to appreciating me, but for now, she has the married life to tend to.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, X-Men: The Animated Series, Spiderman: The Animated Series, and reruns of Looney Tunes, Heathcliff, and other older cartoons, like the Super Friends and Scooby-Doo -- pretty much anything aired on Nickelodeon, FOX Kids, Kids WB, or Cartoon Network -- were the bulk of what I watched, in terms of television programming.

Goosebumps is something I read, along with comic books: X-Men, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, The Flash, and the Justice League.

With movies, this differed. I was mostly watching Horror or Action films, along with some animated films.

In regards to these things, some things haven't changed. I still like, or have an appreciation for, many of the things I read or watched back then, now.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What was I like when I was 8 years old? That's a difficult question since, my childhood is rather blurry. If I'm remembering correctly:

- I loved reading.
    - I was very imaginative, idealistic, and very naive.
    - It my way or the highway, in terms of my beliefs/political opinions.
    - I think I still heavily considered myself to be a Christian.
    - I was very depressed deep down but, I didn't realise it.

6. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Ah the third grade. I was a teeny tiny little 8 year old. Tomboy all the way. Wicked quiet and shy as hell. I was still holding on to the crush I had on a boy I liked since kindergarten. Similar to me now, minus the crush on Josh, and I'm a little bigger and slightly more "girly."