1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what age do children understand the concept of "gay people?" "Trans people?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Feb 13, 2015.

1. AlamoCity

At what age do children understand the concept of "gay people?" "Trans people?" I refer to children who are cis/straight. When do you think kids know gay (and trans) people exist and what it means? Is it easier for them to first understand the concept of homosexuality before transsexualism?

Of course, every child is unique, so I am not looking for a specific age, but perhaps a range.

--------

I've always been curious because I'm still not out to my 14yo sister and I still wonder if/what she knows about gay people. The topic has never surfaced, so I'm always wondering how kids view such topics, especially if they don't have any classmates who are openly a part of the LGBT community.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is a lot younger today as opposed to when I was a child.

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that depends on the maturity of the children

4. lyjo

I've known same sex couples all my life, so to me there's nothing more normal. My little brother (8) just found out what it means to be gay, but he doesn't know about trans. Personnally, I only really understood last week what trans means.

5. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it depends on their lives. For example my ex best friend (ex because her family had to move.) didn't know that was even possible until we were eight and I understood sexuality for as long as I can remember because I grew up surrounded by gay people. She doesn't know anything about genders and I know it's possible but don't understand it at all (I know what transgendered means but that's all.)

6. black-cat

4-5 (ish) years old to understand gay people, 7+ (ish) years old for trans* people. (In my opinion and experience)

You only need to understand the concept of "having a crush", "falling in love" and "marriage" understand gays.

If they have an understanding of a kids movie, the love, feelings and marriage of a kids movie that the "prince and princess" go through, then I believe they can understand gays. I understood what gays were by the time I was about 3-4 years old.

"Sometimes the Princess grows up to love a Prince, sometimes she grows up to love a Princess. Sometimes the Prince grows up to love a Princess, sometimes he grows up to love a Prince. Sometimes you love a boy, sometimes you love a girl, sometimes you love both- or neither!"

Trans* people are a lot more complex as you are a decent age before you understand genders, and gender differences.

They have to "understand" (I use that term loosely) the difference in the bodies, brains, personalities and social roles of both boys and girls - AND the lack of differences to understand trans*. I understood what trans* was by the time I was about 6-7 years old.

7. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think anyone who knows what love is, is capable of understanding gay relationships. Love is a universal concept, and kids should be able to understand what love means at an early age. As for transgendered people, that's a lot more complicated to understand, especially for cisgender kids, because it's hard for people to understand something they cannot relate to.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Lyana

For gay people, pretty early on, I would think. It can actually be quite easy for kids to understand and accept it.
    But as for trans people... Even adults don't understand the concept. At least that's what it feels like.