1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you listen to music or silence when you read/study?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lawrence, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can listen to Black Metal and read something fairly simple like most popular science books. I just seem to prefer complete silence (and lying down) when reading more technical books. I like chaotic music and that can be pretty distracting.

I used to listen to Power Metal and complete my homework. So I guess it depends on the music and what you're reading/studying.

What about you? And do you study better in different positions or is that purely psychological? Although I can imagine it's easier to study at a desk than in a stress position!

2. Pie

Pie Guest

I usually listen to music but then I can't study properly because I pay more attention to the music than, say, my German vocabulary book. So, if I actually want to be productive I don't listen to music. The problem is that I love music and I don't have enough time to listen to it AND study, which leads me to do both at the same time and thus makes me waste my time...

3. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the subject I'm studying, I figured I do better in math when I do my homework listening to music. I sometimes read and listen at the same time, but if it's an interesting book, in a few minutes I don't even notice that the music is playing lol. But really, I avoid music when I read, I get distracted way too easily sometimes...

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Silence. Music distracts me.

5. Ixaxilia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm usually always listening to music. If I really need to concentrate I'll switch to more instrumental music without lyrics so the words won't get in the way of my thoughts.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Silence. My mind can't multitask. If I am concentrating/learning something, I must have complete silence.

7. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If i'm reading or memorizing then I avoid music but if I'm doing math or physics problems I listen to music, it actually keeps me more concentrated. I have a whole playlist devoted to studying, it mostly consists of James Morrison and Gavin DeGraw (love the two of them!)

8. TheStormInside

If I'm doing anything language based (reading, writing, studying) I need silence. When I'm doing other things like sketching or painting I tend to prefer to have TV in the background. I don't listen to music often, but occasionally I will have that playing instead while I sketch.

9. africanFlower

i listen to music from when i wake to when i go to bed, regardless of what i am doing in between that time #LongLiveMusic!! lol :slight_smile:

10. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

I need silence too. If I hear music, my mind will be wandering from 1 song to the other. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Cam7125

Out Status:
    All but family
    Music, but it has to be turned down. I prefer silence if I can get it.

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Silence. Music is too distracting.

13. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Recreational reading, music.

Studying, without. When you're remembering something word for word, you don't want to be interrupted by the singer as you're saying them aloud.

14. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Usually I listen instrumental music (without singers) and not too complicate (not classical), Piano Guys or Two Steps from Hell are perfect.

15. Ned B

Silence when I am reading or need high concentration. When I am at work, or doing work in school (as in my architecture studio) I don't like music either. I would much rather listen to what's going on around me.

16. KingJude

Seeing as I'm most into classical music, which usually has no words, then I don't find it a distraction, and do listen to it whilst I study. I also find that replaying a playlist that was playing whilst I was studying helps me to remember what I have previously studied.

17. davidguitar20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    all sorts. I use the iheart radio app and listen to jack fm

18. Acm

Acm Guest

Music keeps me focused better, I always have music on when I work.

19. Lyana

I used to study all the time with music, but now I find it more distracting then anything else, if it has lyrics I can understand. If I need to listen to music to work (ex: when my roommate is smooching her boyfriend in the room), I'll pick classical piano music or something in a foreign language.

For reading, I prefer to read in silence, though I can if there's music around.

I like to write to music, though. I mean, I write in silence more often, but sometimes I'll find a song that fits what I want to express with my words, and I'll listen to that as I write.

20. NovaStar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I always have to listen to music otherwise I can't focus, most of the time if I'm doing work for school I will just keep on quite music though.