1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does being gay make you a better lier?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by majorburt, Feb 14, 2015.

1. majorburt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As the title says, does being gay make you more able to manipulate the truth (ie. A better lier)?

From my experiences growing up in a relatively hostile environment for gays (gotta love a small, backwoods area lol), I had to learn quickly to only let slip the information I wanted and to control myself and the things I did and said. As well as being able to "throw someone off my trail" if I felt they were putting two and two together about me being gay. This has made me really good at misleading people when I saw fit. I was able to give a false air of confidence when the situation called for me to be strong, even if it meant that I was hurting my own emotional health. Like I said, hostile environment for anything not straight as an arrow:frowning2:

I've noticed that a lot of tripple A actors with a lot of talent are coming out, and that plays into my theory. Depending on how you look at it, of course.

Anyway, feel free to just answer, or share your experiences with what you had/chose to do when your were in the closet. If you were able to hide in plain sight, or if you had to put a lot of effort into your "mask" as I call it.

Also, gotta say, you guys are some of the most supportive people I've ever seen. And that goes beyond the whole "birds of a feather" dynamic. You guys genuinely care for the people on here, which I admire like you would not believe.

Thanks for being awesome guys!

2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it does because I believe everyone tells lies sometimes and most get away with it

3. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People just generally don't care about what I do because I make it seem like I'm a very boring person and it works! I probably am very boring to them because I don't like they "cool stuff" they do but that's beside the point. It doesn't make me a better lier, it makes better at not mentioning things... :grin:

4. Lyana

Interesting idea. You've made me think.

In friendships I value honesty very highly. But I've lied or deliberately misguided my parents about my relationships, and I think I'm quite good at it. It's quite scary how easily some lies spring to my lips, without even having to think about it. Like you're so used to hiding something it just comes naturally.

So yeah, I think I'm a pretty decent liar, actually.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have often thought about this. I suppose it does make you a better liar, but at the same time we all know how much it can hurt to keep that lie going. So for me personally, once I came out, I didn't want to lie about anything anymore. Haha, I guess I gave up the lying habit.

So it made me a better liar, but then an honest person!

6. guitar

It's an interesting idea and there might be some truth to it. I would imagine the longer you stay in the closet the more elaborate the lies need to be.

7. shadowraptor

I've just always been pretty good at telling lies, even before I realized I was gay. I don't think that's made me a better or worse one though.

8. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think some people are good lyer and others are not. I think being gay may give you more practice, but I know I'm hella gay and a terrible lyer.

9. MisterTinkles

I haven't met a person yet, who ISN'T a liar.

Actors are just PAID professional liars.

"Gay", "straight", or anything else has no bearing on being a competent liar.

Used to be telling a lie was just as bad as doing something very wrong and you would get punishment for it.

Nowadays, lying is "normal" and telling the truth is the bad thing that gets you in trouble.

10. ANewDawn

I don't think it neccessarily has anything to do with being gay, but with practice. The more you lie the better you'll get at it. If being gay has put you in a situation where you're frequently forced to lie, you will probably get pretty good at it.

11. Davidg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know that is even lying. Sometimes omitting the truth isn't a ly if it's none of their business. I think being private is way different then lying.