1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on Facebook

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lyjo, Feb 14, 2015.

1. lyjo

Hey everyone! What do you think of coming out on Facebook, or just making it a bit more obvious?

I'm sick of having to come out to every new person I meet, so I was thinking about making it obvious on my Facebook, so that my new "friends" (I tend to put everyone as acquaintances though :grin: ) can know without me having to say it. I'm out to my parents and school friends, but not the hundreds of Facebook contacts, which include other family members, my parents' friends, and everyone from my sport team, including my coaches.

What's best: putting a cover picture (love is love, or a rainbow), writing something, liking the l word or something linked to lgbt, or putting "interested in women" (which I think is stupid because that info option makes it look like a dating website).

Are you guys out on Facebook? If so, how did you do it, or how would you do it?

2. MrSkittles

I am Out On Facebook. I put "Interested in Men".

3. lyjo

I think I'll just choose a cool cover picture, and maybe change that setting later. I might warn my parents about it beforehand though :slight_smile:

4. Psaurus918

I have friends on Facebook that are out to everyone but hide their relationship status and "interested in" for some reason.

In my opinion if you're comfortable with everyone finding out and are prepared for hurtful comments then do it. The worse that's going to happen is people deleting you

5. lyjo

That shouldn't be a problem, if they can't accpet me for who I am then I have nothing to do with them :slight_smile: I don't ever want to hide my true self again :grin: Out and proud all the way!

6. Rainbows~Exist

After coming out to my close friends and family in person I decided to come out to everyone on Facebook and all went well :slight_smile: You may as well because it's kinda the most convenient option in coming out to everyone :grin:

7. Kabuki

Well, my coming out on Facebook was basically my coming out to everyone (except my mother). I just wrote a post (a long one) about it. :grin: You don't need a long post though, you can make it simple and less dreadful. You have the luck that it's known by some of your friends and also your close family. So, as you said, you don't need to worry about the reactions because, if they delete you they were never real friends.

8. Formality

I've been thinking about making a video whenever I do decide to come out. That would feel the most personal way and it might even help some people understand what being gay really means. Just saying "I'm gay" they will just presume things, based on stupid stereotypes, about you that aren't necessarily true.

9. Emmanuella

... I came out on facebook. Nobody noticed.

-_-'

So every once in a while I have to have "that moment" where I casually mention to random friends or acquaintances that I date girls.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out on Facebook twice and nobody really cared.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few days ago, a friend came out, and he got dozens of likes and positive feedback. I was pretty proud of him. :slight_smile: You don't need to make your entire page into a rainbow. I don't think changing your interested in section actually notifies anyone.