1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elections in Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisyphusstone, Nov 5, 2008.

1. sisyphusstone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    November 4 (yesterday) we had general elections here in Puerto Rico (and in the other US territories too) in which we vote for governor, resident commissioner (representing PR in the USA) and the legislation.

The winner is the first Republican governor since 1968... but I'm not complaining. The results were:

Luis Fortuño (PNP - New Progressive Party) 52.70% of votes.
    Aníbal Acevedo Vilá (PPD - Popular Democratic Party) 41.40% of votes.
    Rogelio Figueroa (PPR - Puerto Ricans for PR) 2.76% of votes.
    Edwin Irizarry Mora (PIP - Puertorican Independence Party) 2.03% of votes.

The PNP supports the permanent annexation of Puerto Rico to the US as the 51st State.
    The PPD supports the same status as now (free associated state).
    The PPR... good question, but they are a green party.
    The PIP supports the independence of the island, but just 3% of the population.

Regarding LGBT issues, the elected governor (being a Republican) opposes same-sex marriage and same-sex civil unions, but he promised ban in discrimination regarding sexual orientation. The other candidates didn't discuss the issue, but the PPR supported same-sex civil unions.

Right now there's no "danger" regarding LGBT issues; but some months ago, there was a referendum called resolution 99 in which the constitution of Puerto Rico would have amended to define marriage as an union just between man and woman; but luckily, it wasn't approved.

Anyway, I'm kinda glad for the results here... now we have all the sheep in a single corral (I don't know how to explain...:eusa_doh:slight_smile:; and I'm so excited for Obama being elected president!!! I just hope these next years will be better... I think we've been needing that. :slight_smile: