1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studying abroad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grizzleybear33, Feb 14, 2015.

1. grizzleybear33

What up guys. I'm studying abroad in Switzerland this fall and I am SUUUUUUUUPER excited. I just have a quick question...how are the guys in Switzerland? :slight_smile:

oh any other comments about studying abroad would be really helpful too.

2. Stripe101

Sorry, I've only ever studied broads. Not abroad.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never knew any Swiss guys, but I have talked to some scientists from Zurich.

In any case, it's best to learn about the culture and not be totally unaware. Go watch some travel shows on Switzerland. Rick Steves is great. Also, remember there are not just Swiss Germans but French and Italian speakers, as well.

4. ANewDawn

Don't know anything about Swiss guys, but I spent my first year out of high school studying in the Middle East. It's an incredible experience, and my biggest advice would be to try and do and see as much as you can. While it's more easier to keep close to American things and people, it's so much more worthwhile to really immerse yourself in the culture as much as you can. I regret that I spent that time insisting everyone around me speak English instead of trying harder to learn the language.

5. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow that's awesome. Switzerland is beautiful and although I can't comment on the guys or studying abroad my main advice would be to just throw yourself into everything and exerpeience as much as you can. You'll have a great time I'm sure :slight_smile:

6. Tinker

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi

I know it's an old post, but I'm from Switzerland :wink: So guys are nice and some are good-looking of course !! In which part are you going ?

Have a nice year abroad and don't forget to go to the mountain, it's beautiful !

7. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Keep a journal of some kind, write down something (on paper preferably, digital too I guess) everyday, even if it's not that long. It sounds impossible at the moment but as time goes on you won't remember as much as you think you will (as I learned the hard way).

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I've thought about studying abroad but I don't know anything about it. Where do you sign up lmao, how much are the costs and what not?

9. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Costs vary and might be partially covered by grants/scholarships/financial aid but your best bet is to start by looking at your (or close by) schools to see if they have study abroad programs. They'll usually have basic information there and hopefully info about past and upcoming programs.

10. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno, I'm too poor to travel.

11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

12. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

You're welcome! I hope you find a place and program that interests you, I know my semester abroad was a once-in-a-lifetime fluke for me and it turned into a memorable learning experience.