1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should society be a half matriarchy/half patriarchy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Driftr

I honestly don't see the problem if leading roles were split at or around the 50/50 mark in society

Does anyone else agree?

2. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Um what about just no archies. How about someone is qualified so they get the job.

3. antibinary

We should have an equalarchie. The more equal a society is, the more respect they get.

4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tbh, I think certainly western societies are more complex than being a matriarchy or a patriarchy. Gender politics is complex. For example the wage gap is far more complicated than women are earning 77 cent to the dollar because of sexism. Most of the gap is the choices made by each gender. Ultimately in the west I think we at a point where we have to take it issues case by case instead of portraying this misleading narrative that women are oppressed in society. Most of these feminists are often being very patronizing to women by making them out to be this weak gender, that needs protecting by everybody else.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As long as you are keeping alive the idea of power and/or superiority over your fellow human being, you'll be doomed to conflicts that will turn to violence against your fellow human being, and then to wars.

Have you ever played tic-tac-toe?
    Humanity is still thinking they can win that game.

But the problem lies on the whole concept of winning or losing a game.
    The point of a game is the fun in playing. Others seem to have a different opinion. All are valid and respectable, but some opinions seem to have more constructive results than others.

#5 Michael, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This.

If a man is more qualified than a woman to get the job, then there is no reason to grant her the job just because she is a woman.

If a woman is more qualified than a man to get the job, then there is no reason to grant him the job just because he is a man.

Equality isn't about forcing the world to be 50/50. Equality is treating everyone as equals. It doesn't matter the gender of the person, the most qualified should be the leader.

7. 741852963

This. It is a lot more complicated than the "patriarchy is responsible for all of societal ills" mantra churned out by many feminists.

In reality elitism and corruption is the cause of most the problems, rather than gender specifically; it just happens we currently have a system that favors elite oppressive males as opposed to elite oppressive females. So the fact these people in power are male is somewhat irrelevant, you can have a 100% female government with the exact same problems if you do not address the elitism.

On the wage gap too, its more complex than made out. A great deal of the pay differences come from women and men entering different professions (men entering more dangerous, technical or high-pressured roles*), women taking gaps in their employment to birth/child-rear or working part-time (which obviously is going to limit progression - it reduces your total work experience compared to someone who has not had leave).

Sure there are instances of women being paid less than men for the same role - but these are by no means as commonplace as the high-level statistics imply.

*This does need addressing, but it is a separate issue to the pay-gap.

8. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How about we disregard the gender of the ones in power?

9. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Truth @741 and Gibson

The statistic of the wage gap just comes from comparing the average earnings of men to the average earnings of women, it doesn't take into account different careers, different education, etc.

As for the other stuff about us having a patriarchy in other areas I disagree with that completely

The system just favors those in power, yo. There's plenty of places in our history where women were in power over men.

10. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Very good entry...

"Have you ever played tic-tac-toe?
    Humanity is still thinking they can win that game."

Its not humanity... its been a minority playing power games... the majority increasingly wants peace and negotiations... the movie you are hinting at had a lot of effect because it made sense... looking back, things being proposed 20 years ago aren't even on the table today...

This infers a leadership with persons saying what to do.

A more democratic possibility would be a correct representation with negotiations and reaching a mutual consent. If people are not represented this automatically leads to imbalances because their views are not regarded.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We can discuss this in another moment, i'm just saying that, in my opinion, genders are irrelevant when choosing leaderships.

12. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Of course I see where you are coming from.
    But being transgender I can asure you there are big differences in values. There is a reason that logical/materialistic views are more and more replaced by holistic and inclusive views.
    See it like a balance of the brain hemispheres, from a logical dominated (male) to a more balanced one.
    Women hold a necessary part of the puzzle. Reality is simply this is not gender neutral. And, well, a view must not be disregarded because it comes from a less pushy group. All inclusive solutions lead to much more stable and peaceful developments.

13. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wouldn't that be feminism? Parental gender roles would be interchangeable without any dichotomy because female and male are equal.
    There would still be the issue of children bearing whose's name if it should ever come to that. Taking a father's surname is the most obvious example of a patriarch.
    But I agree there should be no -arch because it invalidates the worth of one and gives excess power to its counterpart.

14. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you understand me (or we simply disagree about this).

I know and totally agree women are a necessary part of the puzzle. And that's why i dont think they need to have power guaranteed to them. Exactly just like men, women can arise to power, because genders are irrelevant when you are talking about qualification.

What i mean is: Of course, we should create ways so that the competition to power (or any job, really) takes in consideration the qualification of the persons involved, not the gender. That way, we wouldn't need to have laws that force government to be 50/50 women and men, we would have instead the best people qualified to the jobs, no matter if it is 60/40, for example.

Women and men have equal potentials to do anything. Sure, you may argue that men are very frequently seen as superior, especially when talking about jobs that involve power. And that's obviously a problem, i'm not denying that. I'm repeating myself, but
    . I don't believe that forcing things to be 50/50 would solve the problem of discrimination, or any other problem.

I'm not sure i made myself clear here. Sorry about that.

We are all

15. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is an example of the values I have talked about.
    Both competition and having excessive power are simply not values to many women.
    Values like empathy, compassion and caring are important and should be included.
    This does not work via competition.

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As long as I was on the "patriarchy" side as opposed to the "matriarchy" side, then I wouldn't care. However, I don't see this as an ideal society. Meritocracy all the way. If you want something, then you should be able to get it if you earn it, regardless of your gender/race/class. That's what I believe.

#16 An Gentleman, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  17. antibinary

If a man and a woman had the exact same career path, the women would earn £423,000 less over a lifetime. I don't think I need to tell you that that's a lot.

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that controlling for all factors still? Could easily think of many possible reasons why that is the case that doesn't have to do with sexism.

19. YunoGasai

im not even gonna pretend i know what any of this means.

20. AlexTheGrey

Except, you don't fix systemic imbalance by saying "Welp, I'm gonna be blind to race/sex/etc." All it does is allow the systemic imbalance to continue in whatever state you leave it. It doesn't make it worse, but it doesn't make it any better.

Case in point: How does this work when one of the problems is unequal access to the resources required to get the qualifications you speak of? Especially when you look at the cultural mechanisms that feed into it. These wind up shaping the layout of the hierarchy long before you discuss things like hiring and promotion practices (although studies have identified discrepancies there that are subtle and hard to notice as individuals, so laws here remain totally relevant).

We haven't fixed the issues in our culture that creates a situation where there is a discrepancy in perceived value between the genders. Not by a long shot. Not when you have folks still dictating to each other (both men and women) what the responsibility of a person should be based on their crotch giblets. Not when you have ads on TV still saying "Don't let anyone else tell you how to be a man, be a man by buying Taco Bell". And especially not while you still have evangelicals pushing the concept of "the woman's role in the home" from hundreds of years ago.

The time it takes to fix this stuff is generational. It can't be fixed in a hundred years, as much as we want to, but we can't just ignore it while change happens either, or it won't be the change we need.

You are right, it doesn't solve the problem of discrimination, but it does prevent backsliding by society. And that's what it is there for. It helps prevent progress we do make from being undone while we work on the cultural issues underpinning the whole thing.

Much like how you use scaffolding to help support a building while you make repairs to the structure of it.