1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between transgender and trans sexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thesecretcat, Feb 15, 2015.

1. thesecretcat

I always get confused between the two hahaha I'm not sure whether a transgender is when someone identifies as the opposite sex and goes through surgery or not or is it the other way around?? I didn't explain that well sorry. Can someone explain please? I feel stupid for not knowing this hahaha :help:

2. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where I am from the term transsexual is considered old fashioned and rude. It's never used by people who know what they are talking about and who don't want to offend anyone. If someone uses the term transsexual it sounds like they think being trans has something to do with sexual orientation or is a sexual thing. I am always a little confused when that term comes up in discussions in English but I guess it's different. I think in English it describes a person who has gone through surgeries and/or is on HRT. Since in Eglish there are terms gender and sex that mean different things although some think they are the same. Sex is physical and gender is more mental thing.

Transgender is someone identifies as something else than they were assigned at birth.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Transgender is an umbrella term:
    http://transaustin.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/transumbrella.jpg

Definition of Terms | Gender Equity Resource Center
    Transsexual refers to a person who experiences a mismatch of the sex they were born as and the sex they identify as. A transsexual person sometimes undergoes medical treatment to change his/her physical sex to match his/her sex identity through hormone treatments and/or surgically. Not all transsexual persons can have or desire surgery.

To better understand you might have a look here:
    http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/DOH-Assets/pdf/doh-transgender-experiences.pdf

#3 jay777, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. lyjo

5. CyanChachki

Don't worry, I get confused as well. As I've been told, Transsexual is where a person wants to transition to female to male or male to female where as Transgender is basically where you're a a gender bender but personally, I just don't like the word Transsexual. I never have and probably never will. I prefer Trans or Transman if anything. Sometimes I'll use Transgender when I refer to myself because it's a nicer term than Transsexual.

6. thesecretcat

Okay thank you all :slight_smile: Now I don't feel so ignorant haha, I didn't realise the term transsexual could possibly cause offence to some, I feel bad now ahhh! (sorry) I better stop using it. Once again thanks :slight_smile:

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I prefer transsexual for myself.

These days, "transgender" is used for all kinds of people, Genderqueers, fluid...

Which is why I call myself, transsexual. Not transgender.

8. monome

AFAIK Transgender is currently an umbrella term for all things trans* or related with so called gender dysphoria

Transsexual is a lot narrower, it was used to define people with a gender dysphoria so strong that they have a big need of fully transforming.

However the term got outdated as we have discovered tha trans* personalities are different, sometimes evolving from a slight dysphoria to a stronger one. So transgender is now used much more.

9. gaykuya

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I get confused about this a lot so I kinda just made my own definitions.
    Transgender: someone who is trans but has not transitioned
    Transsexual: someone who is trans and has transitioned
    It's easier for me to remember things and whatnot with these even tho the definitions may not be correct.