1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School elections destroying kids' image?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Loveless, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Loveless

Loveless Guest

I don't know if your school does/did this, we had an election where people voted for "Most Athletic, Most Likely to Succeed, Best Looking, Best Smile" etc. Do you think these elections are fair for kids? I'm just curious to see if you think they're hurtful to kids or not. Because I sort of do. All of that stuff is just based on who's popular, they don't look at the poor loners at all ever. I think it's too biased. It only makes the other kids feeling more depressed about themselves. I don't know maybe I'm crazy and just over thinking this, any opinions?

2. pirateninja

It's just a popularity contest. It doesn't matter if they actually DO have the best smile or not, the kid with the most friends is going to win them.

I remember in Primary (elementary) school where everyone in our year got a prize specifically for themselves. Looking back, it was just a certificate and a mention, but I felt so proud walking up to get my certificate for being "The Pupil most likely to compliment people" :lol:

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It only hurts the people who take it seriously. High School elections are a complete joke, and I never bother reading them anyway. I remember Billo had a shout-fest when a lesbian couple got elected Cutest Couple in a High School halfway across the country from him, but that's about it.

4. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

My friends and I rigged the ballots. Half of the awards went to my friends. I got "Most likely to become president". It's simply a popularity contest, even with our rigging (we turned in maybe 200 ballots for about 12 of us) my friend Sean (whose idea it was) still didn't get most fashionable because Mr. Popular got it. If you can find out a way to rig it I definitely suggest you do so. I was always such a good kid, quiet and unnoticed. It was an exhilarating rush to be announced Most Likely to be President and walk across the cafeteria filled with my senior class of which over half of them didn't know who I was.

5. Tim

Tim

Not all of the topics.

For instance, I was almost voted most time spent out of class, but lost it by a very small margin because no one knew me, go figure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In Middle school I was voted most likely to become a lawyer, I tied with my longtime rival/friend because we argued so much, and I wasn't popular :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. littledinosaurs

I don't really see any harm in them.
    A. They are usually rigged anyways (like at my school last year)
    B. Nobody takes them seriously and people usually Campagin for certian awards.
    C. If you care soo much about them that not winning one seriously upsets you then you might wanna figure out why it was so important to win that award in the first place.

7. sdc91

It's all just fun.

I got to the round of 16 in my school of 2700 for being 1 of the 4 "Smartest".

8. Shrug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i agree, it all just in gud fun!!!

at my school someone haz 2 nominate u and get lyk 20 signatures or sumthing!!!

last year i waz nominated 4 most likely to become famous and best dancer!!!
    i won best dancer!!!haha!!!

9. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I was voted "Most Likely to Win a Nobel Prize"!

(People thought I was smart.)

My favorite award we gave out was to the person "Most Likely to Run a Marathon at the Age of 70". Oh, and "Most Likely to be Slapped by Their Ex."

And as for it hurting people's self esteem? Naw. Not really. But I suppose my graduating class was more awesome than most.

10. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Yeah i guess your right. This year they had "most likely to on Saturday night live". I was just curious.

11. kh23172

haha nah.. its all just in fun. :grin:

12. GuitarGirl1350

I hate those superlative things.
    The two nominees for "Most Likely to Run for President" aren't even American Citizens. Hah.

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was nominated for Funniest in Middle School, but seeing as how I was only nominated by two of my friends and I purposefully kept myself out of the popular scene, I lost it to some obnoxious shouter I hardly knew. Big surprise.

14. JayC

JayC Guest

I got Friendliest and Biggest Flirt and was up for prom king but they gave it to a guy who doesn't dance or do anything at prom except sit with his girlfriend. I was pissed to say the least cuz i won the dance contest my junior AND senior year and danced with everyone white black it didnt matter. i do think that the elections hurt some feelings but at the same time they shouldnt be taken seriously bcuz most of the time it has to do with who you know and who you *censored*! sorry if that inappropriate but i know it to be a true fact

15. Trumpetplyer23

My school does this, but only Seniors are chosen for the categories and only Seniors can vote.

I honestly don't think the school does this to try and make kids feel bad about themselves. The school (at least my school) does it to make memories for the kids because they can remember 'I was voted as having the best smile in high school' or 'I voted for whoever in whatever category.'

It's sort of a tradition.Like Homecoming King and Queen. I mean, if you look at that, it can appear biased and unfair to others. It's just a thing in high school. I mean, I honestly didn't know anyone on Homecoming Court (all Seniors) that were depressed that they didn't win King/Queen. They looked at it as a memory, something they can look back on and say "I was on Court when I was a Senior. I may not have won King/Queen, but it was a great experience" and they're happy for the people that won King and Queen.

I honestly don't think that someone would get depressed over the election thing. It's fair to everyone, everyone in that class has the chance to be voted for. For example, at my school, a lot of quiet, shy people got stuff like "Most Changed" or "Best All-Around".

16. BeautifulStranger

Polls aren't a popularity contest... Prom Kings and Queens are.

But every year, the kids with the best smiles win for 'Best Smile'. The kids who dress best win 'Best Dressed'.