1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I achieve my dream, or would it be too dangerous

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Driftr

Very recently, I've felt a growing desire to pursue a career in the entertainment industry. I have thought quite a lot about pursuing a career as a mainstream openly-gay international pop star or a screenwriter, but the thing that has really scared me about this is the country that my parents are from.

My parents are from Ghana (which is really anti-gay and heavily religious) and they have TV and internet there and they play mainstream artists there, so once word gets out that I am related to them - and both of them have expressed interest to go back home and live there - I'm scared for their safety. I'm scared that people will harass them, that I have even thought about changing my name and pretending that they are not related to me if I ever make it in the business. I'm scared that if they face criticism or danger, that they (or other family members) will resent me for it.

Are there any examples of famous LGBT figures from anti-gay countries? Are their families targeted there? And am I selfish for chasing this dream? Should I just work behind the scenes in the entertainment industry? I have thought about ghostwriting because I've started to write a lot of screenplays with LGBT characters and while it would be nice to get recognition of helping the LGBT community, I'm scared that with my name attached to it, my family could face danger somehow.

Am I just overreacting?

2. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow that is really difficult, ultimately realise that you are not responsible for any suffer that coule come to your parents and you have a right to pursue a career that interests you, however understand that even if you pretend not to be related to them the relationship will come out. As much as people try to be anonymous it is rare to be able to stay anonymous forever. However have you told them of your dream? Do they know you are gay? Is there a reason that want to move back there? Do they understand if they move back there it would be hard for you and any partner you have to visit them, do they realise the trouble you could be in if you visit them and anyone realises you are gay? I think they should accept the country they have brought you into and stay thee and realise the issues it creates if they leave, why have they started a life in a new place just to move back to their birth country?

3. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Literally everybody wants to do that. Everybody ever. But some people still have to do the work in this country. Be realistic and get a real job. That being said, pursue your interest on the side and if they bring you success then maybe it can become a career. Incredibly foolish choice to dedicate your whole life to that though.

Sorry if I'm being blunt that's just the way I am, and I'm trying to give an honest answer.