1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hook-up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Feb 18, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

What do the terms "hook-up" and "no strings attached" mean?

Does "hook up" actually mean one night stand? (Just a sexual encounter with a person for only once?)

2. CyanChachki

Yes, a hook up is a one night stand and it can be with anyone. No strings attached is kinda like friends with benefits but the person asking usually has one or two other people they're seeing and/or hooking up with. Like it's not even a friend thing, it's like you have sex and then you're done and gone.

3. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the context. On dating sites 'hook-up' would usually mean one night stands, 'no strings attached' meaning no commitment or conditions.

I've heard the term hook-up in reference to one-night stands/kissing/doing other sexual stuff, also when talking about a pair who've gone off together eg: '____ and ____ hooked up at the party last night.'

4. badluckfairy

Hook up is a one night stand.

No strings is sex without the relationshippy emotional commitment side to it.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. I didn't know no strings attached meant continued relations. I always thought it just meant they just wanted sex (once usually) and didn't want any attachment or whatever. Come, fuck, go, never talk again.

6. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me "hook up" is a verb meaning "have sex" like "are you going to hook up with him" or "I hooked up with him last night". It doesn't necessarily mean a one night stand. I have had several guys I have hooked up with just once and right now I have a couple guys that I hook up with regularly.

I think of the phrase "NSA" as a one night stand or at most someone who the only reason you will ever see them is for sex. If it was a friends with benefits type thing then there are strings attached which is why they differentiate between "NSA" and "FWB".

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is no strings attached mean friends with benefits

8. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Ok thanks for the meanings guys :slight_smile: