1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jazz Musicians help!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thesecretcat, Feb 18, 2015.

1. thesecretcat

So last night I decided to go to a Jazz club sit-in/jam session for the first time so that I could get a feel of how to improvise and learn some techniques. I'm generally more of a classical player myself but I also want to explore the world of jazz so I thought throwing myself in the deep end would be a good idea...
    Anyway, the band called me up to the stage (which was absolutely terrifying:eek:slight_smile: and asked me to jam with them... I did but it didn't go too well seeming I've never improvised before so I felt a bit like a plonker... I mean it was alright to start of with seeming it was 12 bar blues but I didn't really know what the hell I was doing :eusa_doh: I didn't know that there were certain 'rules' in Jazz :rolle:. It was a good night though and everyone was so nice :grin: I would go again I just feel a bit embarrassed hahaha :icon_redf
    Do any fellow musicians have any advice on improvising? Please PLEASE tell me if this kind of cock up is normal for people who are learning to improvise (I'm not used to being so unprepared when it comes to music haha).
    Also please feel free to comment about any experiences you may of had :icon_bigg
    Have a good day :wink:

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Lullaby

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I hate improvising. It usually happens when I am playing one of my own songs, and I mess up. However, when it comes to swing or double time, I can usually pull through. The best I can say is let your fingers do the work.

4. Redd

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's one of those things you just have to keep jumping into... try starting out picking one rhythmic theme and doing variations of that over the progression, or only playing the 3rd and 5th of the chord, or really simple things like that. It forces you to focus on the progression and also to think harder about what you can do with fewer options. Good solos aren't always full of different notes; some of them are mostly space and some of them are just variations of the same few notes in different orders and rhythms. Beyond that, the best thing you can do is LISTEN to other people. Find someone on your instrument you really like the sound of, and try to imitate them, and even transcribe some of their solos. I was at a jazz festival once where someone asked a panel including Frank Greene, Wayne Bergeron, Stockton Helbing, and Dennis Deblasio, and all of them basically said "listen and steal what you like." Also, have fun (!)