1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help writing a Trans character

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Toast, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey! So, I'm trying to outline the plotline for a story set in a fantasy country, sort of Alagasia-esque, I suppose. Two characters are identical twins. One is a cis female, and the other is male-gendered. One of the conflict points in their childhood is the insistence from multiple soutces that the boy act like a proper girl, and he grows up like that, with his sister as his support.

If any people out there who were assigned the wrong gender could help by describing what it's like to grow up like that, I'd be very appreciative. I don't want to write based on stereotypes.

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my case, it's been more of a feeling of not fitting in. I've only recently accepted that I'm trans, though. It has always been somewhere in my mind that not everyone is a fuy or a girl, though, and asked questioms to that effect in my biology class in high school.

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my case, it's been more of a feeling of not fitting in. I've only recently accepted that I'm trans, though. It has always been somewhere in my mind that not everyone is a fuy or a girl, though, and asked questioms to that effect in my biology class in high school.

4. Innoscience

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually beaten for expressing my desire to be the a female by my step-father (he asked me what girls I liked in my class. That being said, I didn't actually know it was possible to be transgendered, because by that time it was pretty rigidly fixed into my head that I was stuck the way I was. I'm writing a trans character as well at the moment, and one thing to keep in mind, sense your character is a child, they are somewhat unlikely to understand all the dynamics of gender. For example, children associate sex with gender roles regardless of genitalia, even when anatomical sex is made apparent. This is something I recently read for class not long ago. Children under six are known to believe that by changing gender roles, you are changing your sex. One other note, and this I discovered while trying to write an autistic character, is that you want to give your character more than just their gender issues. For the autistic character, for example, if I developed them so that they had autistic traits that made up almost there entire character, no matter how spot on my knowledge of autism was and how accurate the portrayal of these traits, the character came off as unrealistic. The same goes for any character. If you make a transgender character and that creates every problem in their life, it won't end up being very believable. Bring in other traits: anxiety, interests that don't align with their birth sex or ones that don't align with their gender identity, struggles overcoming obstetrical that don't involve gender, such as academic difficulties (kind of irrelevant in your story, being fantasy and all.), their talents, ect. Just flesh out everything about them, even things that have nothing to do with identity.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always felt "off", and when I was younger, I would pretend to be a boy, or play "boy's roles" in games, like playing as a brother or father in house games. Everyone just assumed I was a tomboy.

I didn't really start to get uncomfortable until I hit puberty. I hated the way my body was developing. I hated feeling like I couldn't keep up with the boys anymore. I hated that it was significantly more difficult to be seen as a boy, but more than that, I hated that suddenly the differences between boys and girls were more prominent. I hated that social roles became a bigger deal, and expectations for boys and girls were different. It's like I was suddenly left feeling like my own little island, because I didn't fit in with anyone else. I didn't really have words for what was wrong, so I just felt isolated and irritable.

FTM's are gaining visibility now, but they're still not a particularly visible group. It's because of their invisibility that I didn't realise I was trans until I was 18. I didn't even know that FTM's were a thing until then - I thought I just needed to try harder to enjoy being female.

This is a solid point.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Innoscience as well. If that is their only issue, they will come off as extremely one dimensional, fake, and unbelievable.

I probably should mention that when I was younger, I was always trying to push things back in, and none of the underwear options available to me were comfortable, as I didn't like things shifting. I've also always liked being in water, partially because things are neutrally buoyant, thus easy to forget about having.

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Her support, I think you meant (sister = her)...

So it seems that the boy's behaviour is at the end only driven by circumstances. The question is if he is ok with it, or if he'll discover later that he is not ok with it.

In any case, puberty will make a lot of difference about how he perceives himself, and all the changes going on. Will he receive some sort of medical treatement for that? Will it be painful, with surgeries, or meds? How will this affect his daily life?

If he wants really to become a girl (not just to fit in, but because he really wants it) he is going to feel ugly, and will tend to isolate himself.

Another question is what kind of explanation will the world outside him (parents,etc) will give him for acting like a proper girl. Are they going to attack his masculine traits, or treat him more like a sick person that needs help?

I think the character will be way more interesting if you keep him/her wondering about his/her real identity all the way, even when he grows up. It can even help you build device plots, and other nice stuff. You could end up with a totally unpredictable character.