1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How stressful is college?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pie, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Pie

Pie Guest

Hi,

I'm planning on studying chemistry next year at EPFL (a science and engineering university in Switzerland) and I probably won't have much free time. The courses start at 8 am and end at 5 pm 5 days a week. Then there's homework, sleeping, having a social life (maybe...), etc.

But I also want to study the pipe organ at Lausanne's conservatoire and that will probably take me 10 more hours a week (total, transports, courses, practising, etc.). College is said to be very stressful and difficult I really don't know if doing both is manageable or not :confused:...

So, how was college for you? Could you imagine spending 10 more hours a week in studying music or is that just too much?

2. guitar

If you manage your time effectively school can be totally manageable. I worked part time and was in school full-time. Stay on top of readings and assignments and you'll be okay. If you're spending your entire time partying and screwing around, it will be a lot more work.

3. Lyana

Hi,

I know a few people at EPFL, since my high school was pretty close to the border with Switzerland. It really does depend on the people, but the first year especially can be stressful, especially since a significant number of people admitted in first year won't make it to the third year (or at least not in 2 years).

I'm in an engineering school, classes from 8 to 6, and honestly in first year I couldn't have added 10 hours of music to that. I have no idea where I'd have put them, because I studied during noon breaks, I studied in the evening, and I studied on the weekend. I had a much harder time than in high school (I was top of my class in high school). This year I'm used to the rhythm and level, and I have way more free time.

I would advise you to allow yourself to start at EPFL without the added 10 hours of music. Maybe find a less time-consuming alternative at least for the first couple months, so you can see how it works out for you. Because no one knows whether you can manage it. I couldn't have, but some people I know definitely could.

4. KMP123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's important to do all your assignments and study the material you learned atleast an hour a day. I wish I knew that a long time ago, I ended up playing around in college and now I'm paying the price with a 2.3 GPA, but I hope to transfer to a university next semester and start anew since I'm still in community college level. Giving you a heads up because I did not no how to properly study as I was never taught it in high school, in high school, I was always getting A's for effort, when college came around I have to work hard to earn good grades.

5. Pie

Pie Guest

Thanks for you useful advice! I'm a very disorganised person so I probably won't manage my time very well. I kind of knew I wouldn't be able to do it but I thought I should ask before taking my decision. I think I'm going to follow your advice Lyana, and start EPFL with music for now. And I'll hopefully start music in a year if I can.

6. Yosia

Hehe... I lasted about 6 months. x3

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering that quite a few people do graduate from college, at least for their bachelor's, it's manageable. 9 hours a week 5 days a week? Really? That's like bootcamp. Here it is 1 hour of class per week per unit and 12-15 units is full time...

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the person. I hated college but I'm dumb and would never had done well. Most people will be fine

9. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    College can be as stressful as you want to make it. It really depends on the person.

The rule of thumb is that you should not get behind with your assignments, homework, reading, etc. This is reason number one as to why people drop out of college.

Otherwise, college is pretty fun. You get to meet lots of new, very different people, and learn exciting things about the world.

10. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im currently a 3rd yr college student, and so far it is HARD. Well that is mainly because I have lots of extra curricular activities; Editor in chief of an institutional comics, president of an environmental org, active member of 3 other orgs. But now that I am about to start my thesis, I have to leave those extra curricular activities.

IMO, college life is FUN and HARD at the same time! It depends on you on how you will spend you college life, you can either enjoy free time or use those free time to make something productive. :slight_smile:

#10 LakanLunti, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015