1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can a change of attitude really change a shitty day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lostluvr, Feb 19, 2015.

1. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    today at work sux fukin ass..im trying so hard to be positive about it and change my mood when i feel angry to passive but it seems things are just getting worse..i feel like if its meant to be a shitty day its gonna be a shitty day idk that attitude really could alter it to be better..any thoughts??

2. Notlad

Depends. If things literally suck all day and everything just keeps going horribly, if you're a human being it will have to get to you at least a little bit.

A positive attitude may ward it off for a bit though.

3. CyanChachki

Yes. The best way to do it is to believe that things will get better. Let your mood stay for awhile, get it all out and forget about it. Leave it behind. You're gonna have to do it at one point or another, best off to get it away with asap and continue on with your day. Maybe do a diary/journal rant.

4. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    lol idk about that..i dont really have the patience while im at work to sit and write..(yet here i am haha) nah but i mean shit just fukin sux today..i hate it too cuz it invites bad habits

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alcohol. jk

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There are moments in my life where, be it due to another or how the day plays out, I feel like...

[​IMG]

... and just want to get back at somebody - anybody, to make those feelings go away, treating them as if they were some kind of hot potato.

I have to constantly remind myself, even if I did get back at somebody (and I could, which is what makes it harder to convince myself at times), it would do nothing more than temporary good. I'd be right back where I was, in enough time.​

Embracing negative feelings is very much like an addiction. You may not like those first few hits, but keep doing it, and it becomes second nature. It becomes necessary. Negative feelings, if not fed, can make you feel even worse than had you embraced them -- and this can lead to a cycle of frustration and misery. It can even guide you towards a path that, quite frankly, you don't want to walk.

I have ran walked that path. It isn't fun.

"Those are some fine words, Kaiser, but what does this
    have to do with having a 'change of attitude', or even being more positive?
    "

I'm glad you asked!​

See, having a positive outlook on life, isn't going to make all the bad things go away. It isn't going to make co-worker assholes stop being assholes, it isn't going to make that driving dick who cut you off any more respectable, and it isn't going to stop crazy exes from being, well, crazy fuckin' exes.

Hell, a positive outlook won't even pay your bills. That annoying prick! LOL.

But it, still, grants you a degree of power. Not just in the general sense, but with yourself as well. You can't stop somebody from calling you a name, for example, but you can control how you let that get to you. And this is the key, here, the letting it get to you.

Allowing something to bring you down, immediately gives it power. You're going to spend all that time and energy on just dealing with it, instead of letting it go or, even better, resolving it. Time and energy that could go elsewhere, like in having a smile on your face, on saying "hello" to somebody, on walking with a little pep in your step.

It's okay to feel hurt or upset. Nobody is asking you to be Superman -- and if they do, then they're Lex Luthor and need to be drop kicked out of their multistory complex, because they aren't being reasonable or fair, LOL. But you have to know when to let those feelings go, and when they're worth resolving.

Letting somebody get under your skin, usually, isn't worth clinging to. Now, if they do it every day, maybe. But this can usually be solved by ignoring it, or calling them out and then ignoring it, so that they know why you're not putting up with their shit. But this is just one example, even if the point remains the same.

It may take a while, but generating a positive vibe will be appreciated. Maybe not when you want it to, or even commonly, but it will be -- trust me. Somebody is going to feed off of that, and you will know it -- you'll see it in their face, when around you, hear it in their voice, when around you, acknowledge it in their soul, when around you. They will be a better person, when around you, because you are being a better person in general.

Over time, these small little victories will add up, even if, at first, they seem so far apart and individually miniscule. A beach is simply countless grains of sand; and that holds true here too. A positive life is simply countless grains of demonstration. But you will eventually start receiving back those same vibes you give out, and it becomes more natural.

Natural, not easier. I'm not going to sugarcoat it and say, your life is going to become a Happily Ever After situation -- it probably won't. The important thing is that, you make life a little bit better for others, and they will, in turn, return that to you. Those who do not, well, ask yourself, would you put Kool-Aid in your car's gas tank?

No. In that same line of thinking, don't allow these people to come into your life and make you feel how they want.

It's your life. You going to let somebody else tell you how to live it?​

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I remember once I was having the worst day ever, and at one point, I just paused, breathed, and let go of my tension. That simple act of remembering that bad content doesn't make a bad day saved me many hours of mental and physical pain.

8. I'm_Danni_x

Alcohol will not positively change your day, in fact it does more damage to your health. So please don't post things that are dangerous and ingerious to health.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One time I visited a mental hospital and was told to count down from 100 in multiples of 7 and perform some weird memory tasks. It didn't really help but at least they didn't keep me. Anyway, you wouldn't fight the final boss in a game with weak weapons. I arm myself with tools to help against the fight with my demons.

I can be difficult to deal with if I'm in a lot of mental or physical pain. I TRY not to lash out because it can attract more negativity.

A deliriously happy mood would be counterproductive. I try to take the good with the bad. Sometimes I even find that too much peace can distort my thinking. I used to be able to deal with getting bullied 5 days per week. So it would be a shame if I freaked out over a few words. My skin is usually too thick for their verbal blades. I know my weakpoints and I try to remove myself from the situation. I've probably failed if I'm shouting at somebody!

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree 1000% with Kaiser. It's a hard lesson to learn, and an even harder habit to form but it will change you and leak out to the people around you. One day you'll look back and be like "oh shit, did I do that?" and it feels good to know you've taken control and done something good for yourself.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Being colour blind helps... Sometimes.

Why pink, why blue, why not... A RAINBOW?!

Don't worry, it'll be over in 24 hours. And you are still allowed to have a drink after work.

Cheers! (*hug*)

12. Higs

Yes. In my personal experience, positive thinking can completely turn an ugly day around.

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try and give yourself a list of positive things about your life. That's a good start