1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for those who are non-binary

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Feb 19, 2015.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, first off I am actually asking in earnest because I truly don't know. I know there are people who describe themselves (or described by others) as "transgendered", "transsexual", and "gender queer" (among others). I also know that people get upset if they are used wrong. Could you please explain to me what the difference in these words mean? If you google it you usually get conflicting information or wind up on a forum where there is a huge argument over the meanings.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Transgender:
    Somebody who, usually, has not transitioned physically. Identify with the gender and/or sex that isn't associated with their body.

Transsexual:
    Somebody who, usually, has transitioned, and looks more like the gender and/or sex they identify with. How far along one must be to warrant this label, well, that depends. Rule of thumb is, usually, when they can convincingly "pass".

But most would prefer not to be referred to as this, even in a medical sense, and would much rather be the gender and/or sex they identify with. But this should be common sense.

Genderqueer:
    Somebody who, usually, does not solidly identify with either end of the presentation spectrum. May also shift one way for a while, then shift the other for shorter or longer, and even some days may take a more neutral role. They may simply be androgynous, with pinches of one end and the other.

That's about as condensed as I can make it. But keep in mind, some may disagree with these, which is fine, because there's a lot of overlapping patches. However, this is how I perceive them to be.

3. monome

I would add:

Transgender is evolving into an "umbrella term" covering all forms of so called gender dysphoria in whatever form or intensity

Transsexual - a very strong form of gender/sex dysphoria. Transsexuals usually strive to fully transition in the opposite sex. Get hormone therapy, sometimes surgery and also aim to be legally recognised as opposite sex

Genderqueer/Genderfluid/Bigender/Androgynes/Two spirit - different forms and terms of being between genders or moving between genders that term can reflect both gender identity (how you feel inside) and gender expression (what is your style, clothing, behaviour)

It's worth seeing that the number of transsexuals is more or less similar between males and females and identified transgenderism is more seen in male population that is mainly caused by the fact that women's choice of gender expression is currently wider and for example more women can choose a tomboy/boi/butch gender expression without bigger controversy. If a male has more "femme" clothing or style or behaviour is much more noticeable and controversial.

However, terms regarding transgenderism or different forms of gender dysphoria are evolving all the time and their meanings can move, grow or shrink

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Transgender:
    http://transaustin.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/transumbrella.jpg

Transgender can be used as an umbrella term, simply meaning gender variant.

Transsexual people are people who identify as the gender opposite they were assigned at birth, and in some way want to rectify that.

Genderqueer can be used as catchall term, like queer... queer meaning not straight.

Androgynous: means literally both man and woman

Bigender: shifting between two poles

Genderfluid: fluid in the internal experiencing of gender

Gender identity, gender expression and sexual attraction are different things:
    http://everydayfeminism.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Genderbread-2.1.jpg