1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there such a thing as 'The One'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForNarnia, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Basically, as the title says, do you believe that there is one person out there who is perfect for you and that they are 'The One', or do you think it's just a made up concept designed to sell romantic movies?

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At first I didn't believe this. I thought it was indeed exaggerated, but I've met someone and he is now my boyfriend, and he is definitely the one. He really is perfect for me. :icon_bigg Everything about him makes sense to me, so yes, I do think there's a thing as the one. =)

I understand why some don't agree with this concept (I've been there too, so...). :lol:

3. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not so much The One, perhaps The closest-match One. There is no such thing as a perfect match or relationship, even the best couples will have their disagreements from time to time. That said, there is usually someone out there, somewhere, that is a near ideal fit for someone else. Whether or not those two people actually manage to find each other is another matter. Many people simply settle for someone they don't necessarily fit with completely. Then you have situations where somebody has done this only to later meet 'The One'. You get those who have met The One but let them go for some reason or other and end up with someone else.

The concept is certainly utilised by romantic movies yes but not made up by them, those stories aren't clever enough to come up with an idea of their own so they just nicked the concept and milked it :lol:

4. Justinian20

I believe there is truth to the concept of there being a perfect match or the one for you. But because there are 8 billion people in the world living in all locations it may be impossible for someone to find their perfect match like for example my perfect boyfriend could be somewhere in Russia while I am living in Australia, see how that doesn't really work out. So it is definitely utilised in romance movies and it does happen in real life but I feel it is exceptionally rare for it to actually happen in real life due to the amount of people in the world and the location of some of those people who might have their One living in another country entirely.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really believe in the concept of "The One," not because I don't think there are people who are perfect for each other, but because the world's a big place and I honestly believe that if one has one's act reasonably together there are multiple people out there who would be a perfect fit.

6. lyjo

Haha well I believe that there is. But then again, I'm a cheesy person and I get a crush on every girl I meet. :grin: But I believe that eventually I will meet "the one".

7. White Knight

"The One" is what you make of it. Is it a reason for to live one more day? A reason to hope there is still something good left in this world? Someone who will accept you as you are and stick with you come rain or shine?

For me the one is the last one... I guess. Even I don't want to get into a relationship, even I don't want to submit, even I don't want to hurt he will make all those fade away make me want to hurt again, breath again and trust again.

Now if I can find "the one" let's ask him if I am the one he was asking for... I heard people asking for disaster but that guy will probably get the medal if he is.

8. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Their is no one only many.

9. TheStormInside

I believe in "The One" as in, the one who can make you happy, who you make happy. Someone who will help you fulfill your life as you help them fulfill theirs. But I don't believe there is only "ONE" "perfect" person for someone. Every relationship is going to have some strife. The idea that we are seeking some perfect puzzle match just goes against the human condition. We're complex biological beings, not cardboard cutouts. And as others have pointed out, the idea that there is only one person out there on the whole planet for you is actually kind of depressing, what if I'm here in the Northeastern US and she is in China, or Africa?

10. White Knight

According to legend fate should make your paths cross...

Instead you should be more worried about what if she/he is right under our nose and we don't realize that while they silently suffer to reach out and love us. :grin: This is another trend on "the one" stories. :icon_wink

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

[​IMG]

Thank you, Ty Lee.
    I'm glad somebody appreciates me~!

LOL!
    I'm fuckin' terrible, but what can I say? I'm feeling amazingly confident today!

12. CrazyAwkward

I don't think so. Not really. I think there are a bunch of people out there that someone can match well with. It's just that it's hard to find these people, so when it happens they feel like "the one"

13. C P

C P

Do some people have others who are likely really compatible? Sure.

As for 'The One'? No. Just as with that whole 'soul mate' stuff, I personally feel it's just some ridiculously silly and cliché nonsense.

To go along with my first thing though, I do feel that there are people out there that there is just nobody for.

14. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many of 'the ones'...

15. antibinary

It was made up for fairy tales.

16. Notlad

I think there are realistically, probably many more than one person on this earth that I could settle down with or whatever.

But, I'm sure when I meet the first of them, that will be the person I can't see myself without.

17. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

No. It's absolutely absurd. There are many potential mates out there. Haha.

18. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I don't think The One exists.

In my opinion, The One is just a person with a complementary temper to mine.
    Furthermore, The One must have characteristics which I love. For example, she must be sweet, assertive, patient, smart, feminine, with good feelings...

19. timo

I think the whole concept of 'the one' is made up bullshit. There are many compatible persons out there. You just have to find them, that's the hard part.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, there is The One... When you believe on such a thing.