1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Handle Problems?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Not so much in terms of emotion, but in execution. Though that is fine to address, if you want.

Basically, how do you go about solving a problem?

Do you keep at it until something gives?
    Do you throw your hands in the air and give up?
    Do you just accept it, and go along for the ride?
    Do you fall back and educate/prepare yourself, so that when you return, you can resolve it?
    Or, do you find more resourceful ways of overcoming obstacles?

2. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I rarely come across problems I have too much trouble with, If I do I just take time out to read up on the subject so that I can effectively resolve it (so your fourth option).

3. AKTodd

Depends on the problem and how concerned I am with solving it. But generally giving up is not in my nature. So usually some combo of 1,4, and 5, although I may accept something/go along for the ride for a bit until I can regroup to beat it to death later. Once if a very rare while I may actually give up at something, but only after spending an extended period of time (as in months to years) trying to make it work.

Todd

4. Jellal

If the problem is something I want to tackle, then I will keep throwing myself at it to an unhealthy, obsessive degree. If it's something I don't want to tackle, then I will give up for the time being and try again later after I adjust my attitude.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boss has a "catchphrase": If you have a problem...solve it. No excuses.

Of course, there are problems you can't simply solve, but i learned from him that most of day-to-day problems need to be solved, and we are constantly creating excuses to avoid them, instead of facing them.

One example was my coming out. The idea of being gay has been on my mind since i was really young, but i didn't face it, creating a problem, and i was always tricking myself with excuses (oh, i like guys, but only on my mind, i am not really bi/gay...).

At work, if i have a paper to write... i have a paper to write. It doesn't matter if a meteor falls down in my city. Of course, i'm exaggerating, but the point is: 90% of the time, we create excuses, further complicating things. The easiest way to handle problems is to face them, yell THIS IS SPARTA! and just kick them down a well... i mean, solve them, instead of saying "but this... but that..."

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First take it head-on, with the most direct approach. If that doesn't work, I'll try to go at it more carefully, observing for any details that might have gone unnoticed the first time. One of my favorite mantras is "Everything is more complex than it seems." It has not let me down yet.

And if that doesn't work, call in outside help because it's probably a beast lol.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It definitely depends on the problem. I find it difficult to focus on something I find boring and/or isn't important. I prefer to attack. Waiting rooms are the bane of my existence. I'd rather be getting it over with so I can focus on more fun things.

Small problems can actually be kind of fun. Even if I felt really angry about a guy trying to con me, I managed to hold back for a few weeks and my victory was glorious.

As I've said before, only a fool believes they can get through this life without getting hurt. It's difficult but sometimes I can admit when I need help. I don't like to owe anything to people and I have this crazy fear that some things could be used to manipulate me.

I'm always collecting knowledge on the side that could prove useful sometime. I thought emotions should play no part in decisions... until I read Descartes' Error. Although I do agree that it isn't terribly productive to just stand there saying 'fire... fire... fire...' in a quiet voice when there's a fire in the kitchen. People can freeze up because of normalcy bias.

Little problems such as video game challenges... I listen to music to increase my resistance to frustration and repetition. I prefer to solve problems on my own but if I'm really stuck I will check a guide book and/or watch how other people succeed on YouTube. I can always play another game for a while and return to that problem later. I might not be able to solve that problem right now but there's little point in holding myself back from solving other problems. Although I will be trying again for a while almost every day and I almost never give up on a problem.

I'm usually an excellent problem solver. I tend to have more trouble dealing with emotional problems. Sometimes I don't know why I'm feeling bad and I just ignore it. Although I think I've gotten a little better in recent years. Well, I at least know I probably wont be making good decisions when I'm tired... so sometimes you really do have to sleep on a problem.

8. Joelouis

If it's a physical problem them I'll tackle it head on.
    If it's a problem that need careful thought, then I'll wait til I'm in bed and just about to fall asleep and then think about it. Thoughts are much clearer then and the solution is easier to find.

9. CyanChachki

Basically, how do you go about solving a problem?

Ask friends or family or talk to myself in my room. People may think that talking to oneself is crazy but it actually helps quite a bit.

Do you keep at it until something gives?

Yes. I try my best to hold it all in and bite my tongue but there are times where I've had enough and I have to say something. When I say something when I'm mad or upset, I'll regret it but it's also the honesty coming out. It may not be truthful, but it's honestly how I feel.

Do you throw your hands in the air and give up?

It depends on the situation. There are times where I have given up on someone or something, simply because there was nothing I can do to fix the situation and it was time for me to move on with my life.

Do you just accept it, and go along for the ride?

Again, it depends. I go along on the ride if I have hope in the situation, hope that things will change, hope that things will get better.. if they won't change and won't get better, then I won't go along for the ride.

Do you fall back and educate/prepare yourself, so that when you return, you can resolve it?

Any sort of education or preparation would've been done in advance by pure coincidence. If however, if it's between two people I'll consider hearing each side out but normally with my life and my family and friends, it isn't necessary.

do you find more resourceful ways of overcoming obstacles?

No, not really. I only do what I know and each hurtle in my life comes with a new experience that I take along with me. I'm growing as a person, blossoming into myself and realizing that I can't be dependent on people and simply wish people would just care. If they do, that's great but I need to get my head out of the clouds real wick.

10. White Knight

Lets say I act like my cat when he sees a new object. Circle around the thing until you find a weak spot and pounce... :grin:

11. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    A combination of 4, then 1.

I will generally keep at it persistently until finding a solution or at least find alternative ways around it where that isn't possible or practical. Sometimes changing a course of action entirely works out for the better.

However there are certain problems I have difficulty with that are proving to be more stubborn than others, mainly relating to my personal situation in terms of health problems and, by extension, the obstacles they cause, as well as my other caring responsibilities. Patience is not a virtue I possess in great quantities, especially when faced with a problem where there appears to be no realistic solution within my sights. For somebody like myself who likes to believe they can overcome anything, it is frankly maddening. For the past several years, there have been a number of problems which I'm caught in a sort of limbo over; my persistent nature refuses to let me give up (and giving up is not an option, anyway. It would only make things worse), and yet there isn't a clear answer. It's that old paradox of: What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

12. TheStormInside

Often my knee jerk reaction is panic, but after I calm down I am strategic and rationale in my approach. I tend to gather as much information as possible on the issue so that I can approach it with an informed perspective. In some ways my anxiety can help me here, because I can be rather tenacious when it comes to a problem that is bothering me in particular.

13. Rouqe

Spread some chocolate on it... That's normally a surefire way to fix problems.

14. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I hate giving up so I will always give it a go. Depending on the problem, I prefer to get it over with as quick as possible instead of delaying it because I love my sleep to much. Im a bit of a worrier and will probably stay awake for hours worrying about it. But usually I will just keep going until something gives or just accept it and go along with the ride.

15. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I have a problem, most likely I put it off until the last possible minute and while that time doesn't come, I keep complaining about it -.- .

But, I hardly ever give up on it.

16. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How do I handle problems? Badly, to say the least. I just keep it bottled up and get really snappy with anyone who talks to me :/ I tend to get really stressed out, but I never end up doing anything about it until the last second

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm very much like an emergency room surgeon: triage all the way! I do like to avoid repeating mistakes.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

As a very young child, whenever a problem presented itself, I would usually try to avoid it. But this did not work all the time, and at best, it only detoured the problem, which would always return to pester me again.

When I started elementary school, I noticed that the other children seemed afraid, even mindful of the teachers. But unlike them, I never just buckled and allowed the teachers to tell me what to do, without a reason behind it. And if that reason did not suit me, I would not accept their authority.

At first this presented a huge problem. The teachers would discipline me, and I could do very little about this. Fortunately for me, by placing me in detention a lot, I had all the time in the world to sit and think. I came to the conclusion, there was something I could do to remove this problem:

The next time a teacher irritated or defied me, I was not above crying aloud or scraping my limbs across asphalt, which gave me the appearance of being "roughly handled". Naturally, the teachers were placed under investigation, and enough sided with me, because I had their sympathy and pity. I had checkmated their ability to intervene.

No teacher would want to touch me, which is exactly what I wanted. I was free to torment, because society has a hard time believing, a young child is incapable of intentionally being a nuisance. This was the best cover I ever had, and I used it to the fullest.

Why would a child lie fib about something so serious? I had been underestimated, assumed to be a simple-minded youth, and I used that to my advantage. I had learned to navigate around problems, by being resourceful.

"Wow, Kaiser, that's pretty... imperious."

Yes, it was.
    I was a very fucked up damaged child, there's no way to deny that.
    Some days, I'm surprised I'm even where I am now. But there is a point to this.​

While I'm not as ridiculous as before in my methods, there was many truths taught to me, especially in regards to problems. I learned how the world, and people worked; what made them tick, what made them retreat or stand, what gave them happiness and what weighed them with shame.

If I could not handle it myself, I would fall back and educate myself. If this still did not produce the result I wanted, I would look for weakness or something to exploit, so that the problem would give way. If this was not possible, I would seek out an alternative. If this did not work, I would find a means or individual who would do it for me.

Money, threats, claiming to be their friend. Any kind of "payment" to guarantee their services, really. I wasn't above using people, and why not? Once the problem was removed, they were useless, and the useless are dead weight. If they weren't useless, I would make it so, usually through rumors or humiliation, so that when I discarded them, they had nowhere to go... just in case I needed them again, they'd be so desperate for companionship, they'd accept.

Of course, I have come a long way from those days. But some techniques I still keep to this day, such as attempting to handle problems myself, trying to learn myself and trying again, looking for anything to negotiate with the problem, and willing to seek out others to teach or perform for me.

I don't like giving up, especially when I desire something.

If a wall presents itself, I will attempt to break the wall. If this fails, I will attempt to climb the wall. If this fails, I will attempt to dig under the wall. If this fails, I will attempt to walk around the wall. If this fails, I will remove each and every brick, meticulously, until I have found my way through. If this fails, I will simply use the wall as protection, because nobody else is getting through!

To put it simply, when I have the desire, I will have the way. If I cannot do it, then I know somebody who can.

19. Pie

Pie Guest

If I come across what looks like a problem, I ask myself a question: Is there as solution?

If there is no solution, then there is no problem, and it turns out that what seemed to be a problem actually isn't.

And when there really is a problem and it's important, I try to solve it. If it's not important, I don't waste my time.

20. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    When it's a personal problem, I bury it. When someone else is involved, I shut them out. (I know it's a stupid approach, but that's just how I do it.)
    And when it doesn't relate to any of the previous situations, I try to improve my abilities and gather useful experience to tackle them.