1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's With All The In-Fighting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

It just seems that as minorities, instead of banding together and working towards a common goal, we get hung up on superficial things like " You ain't black enough", "You're too white", " You're too queeny", "You're not gay enough." I experience this with other black people a lot, and they seem of the idea that black people whose skin pigmentation is borderline white are ashamed to have dark skin, and instead of helping these people who may or may not have black shame, they berate them. I think this is why I used to get uncomfortable around other black people because of the negative stereotypes ascribed to us, especially black women, who are taught to conform to the white standard of beauty (I.e having more Anglo noses, bleaching skin , straightening hair, etc etc.) This rung even more true a few days ago at the Oscars when Giuliana Rancic commented on Zendaya's (love this girl) dreads, which most of the time, the natural hair black women have, and said she smelt weed, which, by anyone's standards, is utterly racist. I especially resent this "ratchet" stereotype (something an aggressive, loud black woman is called where I'm from.) Anyway, why are some people in the LGBT community and the black community at each others throats and going into these petty cliques.

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

People are people so...

I don't care if you are LGBT, I still keep my right to decide if I want you as a friend or not.

I won't stop talking to you because of your idea of being gay or trans or whatever, I'll stop talking to you, or putting some distance between us for other reasons, specially being racist against black, white or blue... And a million more that I'll keep to myself, even if you ask me. You have a right to be who you are, and I don't want to be part of the reason of your own personal changes.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh all some minorities have in common is the fact that they are minorities, which I suppose can make it hard to get along if there isn't a huge amount of common ground otherwise. Although, I think people should help others...

I think some people realize that stereotypes are powerful and don't like being grouped with people who have, what they percieve are, negative stereotypes that will be attributed to them if they associate.