1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I could turn back time...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BILL9854, May 21, 2007.

1. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Obviously if you had the choice to be gay/bi or straight when you were growing up, I'm sure everyone would choose to be straight and live a 'normal' life without facing all the problems of growing up gay, but if you had the chance right NOW to change your sexuality would you do it?
    Personally I wouldn't. Although being gay has been a struggle, sometimes depressing, frustrating and lonely, I feel it's now part of me. If I were to click my fingers and become straight I don't think I'd feel like ME anymore.
    I was interested to hear others opinions on this, because sometimes I can sit and think 'god I wish I was Person X so I wasn't gay and go through so much crap all the time', but other times when I really think about it I'm not sure I'd be comfortable changing who I am.

2. GuitarGirl1350

I would never change my sexuality. Maybe, if you asked me this question two years ago, I'd have given a firm yes! But, I know it's strange, but my sexuality has raised my confidence and given me a great attitude. Coping with being gay taught me alot about handling life, criticism, and being proud of who I am. I honestly don't think I'd be as strong a person as I am today if I never had to deal with the homophobia surrounding my early adolescent years.

3. ampthejazz

^ I agree with basically everything that GuitarGirl said. Coming out gave me a huge boost of confidence.

I like who I am. Maybe a few years ago, I would have wanted to be "normal," but right now, I'm perfectly fine with being gay.

4. SpikySpice

Yep, I do agree with everybody in here. Because being gay had made me practice to be so strong like this, made me fell proud of myself everytime I came out.

There was a time that I wish I had the ability to snap and boom, I be straight, but I know that I dont want to have that kin of power now, becuz I think I wont be me if I was straight

5. SadConfusedBandGeek

hehe, well i'm kinda not used to it soo i might say i would..not sure. But I am glad bout being gay because it forces me to be tolerant to everyone because i am so privelged to have ppl that respect me for who i AM! and its making me confident and making me be happy with who i am not who i want to be!(!)

6. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wouldn't change! I defy your statement, Bill9854! I'm proud to be gay!

7. aprilblue426

if my dad wasn't always bashing me, i would be perfectly happy with who i am.

8. I'll be the voice of dissent here and say yes I would change now, if you ask me in 2 years, 5, 10, same answer.

#8 Midnight Angel, May 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  9. SpikySpice

(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

10. tired_of_lying411

It's funny... Even when I think, "I wish I was like person X..." it's never so that I wouldn't be gay. It's more because I envy the way they look or things they have, etc.

I don't think I'd change it, given the chance at any stage in the game. :icon_bigg

11. I would change but then probably wish i was back to how i am now...well maybe not. But its difficult to tell unless it were to actually happen.

12. Jim1454

Oh my gosh - Yes! I'd love to find that 'switch' and set myself to the 'straight' setting. If only it were that simple - and I'd have my wife and kids back with me.

I'm coming to terms with it and learning to accept things as they are, but if I were given the option?!? In a heart-beat I'd be straight and simply 'resume' my life as it had been.

13. TeeBe

I am ashamed to say that I would gladly switch to being straight. At least then, I would know WHAT I was...And wouldn't have to endure daily embarassing conversations with my mother about her future grandchildren.

14. Same here, I just keep waiting for that switch to appear

15. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My father is very homophobic, therefore I'm not out at home. I would be a happy bi man if my family accepted me. But they wouldn't. So, I think I'd like to find the switch.

16. I think if I weren't gay I very easily could have become gay people's worst enemy. I was a very goody-two-shoes, by-the-books, God-fearing, church-loving boy, and I think I would've grown into an extremely conservative, intolerant person had being gay not forced me to reexamine some of the rigid rules I applied to myself and others around me. So I'm thankful for being gay because I think it's opened my mind a lot and helped me relate better to people's emotional struggles.

So my short answer is no. I'd be tempted for sure, but I'd decline.

17. davo-man

No...ive never wanted to change who i am...even throughout the period where i was realising that i was gay, i just thought thats cool...its just who i am....and i just wouldnt wanna be straight cos i just being who i am too much

18. justjoshoh

Bill9854,

Are you asking if we would actually like to switch sexualities or just blend in to the, for lack of better terms, "straight lifestyle"?

I concur with the sentiments of many of the above posters and would not want to change my sexuality: past, present, nor future.

If your questions is about blending into a lifestyle, one way or another, that I believe is a more difficult answer, all based on past experience. From my viewpoint, it would depend on how your environment responds to perceived differences. I have heard of stories from friends that, as high-schoolers, were berated for their perceived sexual preference everyday for four years. My story is quite different. Until I began being comfortable with who I am, I did not befriend many gay guys, and especially not the stereotypical gay. Once I became comfortable with me, I started finding gay friends from all over the spectrum.

It wasn't until then that I really understood the amount of bigotry that exists. As we walk down the street, as we are eating at a restaurant, as we go to watch a movie, as we meet anywhere in public, we are subjected to gawks, snide remarks, belittling, etc.

I am just the opposite and at times wish that I had to deal with the "crap" when I was a bit younger (although 27 isn't all that old :icon_wink ). I think this lesson in bigotry has taught me to since of pride in myself and my friends, to celebrate the similarities and differences that make each of us unique.

19. Kimi

Hell no!

Do I need to consider it more?...oh, ok...

.........................................................No, I wouldn't:thumbsup:

20. LorenzG1950

No way would I want to be straight. I have met so many great people over the last 15 months, including the folks right here, that I simply can’t imagine being straight, even if I had the option. I’ve always rooted for the underdog so I’m perfectly at home now, fighting for gay rights and more tolerance, especially In the US military.

The only regret I have is that I didn’t find out sooner :icon_redf so I could have fallen in love sooner and gotten the affection I’m experiencing now :icon_bigg . I think hetero life is pretty boring by comparison. It took me way too long to get where I am. Ain’t switching now :sunglasses: .