1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satanism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chiroptera, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all,

I've recently started to read about satanism, and, to my surprise, apparently some (if not most, or all) groups that follow it aren't evil, and to the contrary, hold some interesting guidelines and thoughts.

Does anybody here follow it or know anything about it? It does seem an interesting religion/philosophy (althought i'm an atheist).

Hugs

2. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depending on which Satanism you're looking into. yes there's different types of Satanism and one of the most popular one is Anton Leveyan Satanism. he wrote the "satanic bible" in order to make a mockery of Christianity in general. it's not real satanism in a sense.

3. MouseKeeper

I've actually heard some forms are a parody religion to mock organized religion, just like the church of the flying spaghetti monster. Whether it's true or not, I don't know.

#3 MouseKeeper, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Bolt35: Yeah, i heard about La Vey, but it seems there is still a lot of "magic" or occultism involved. I also heard that there are types that forget these supernatural stuff, is that right?

@MouseKeeper: The Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't satanism, i'm pretty sure.

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As you're aware, there happens to be theistic/traditional/spiritual Satanists who believe in and worship a literal Satan and the LaVeyan/modern Satanists who are basically atheists. I'm irreligious but I'd follow the latter if I had to pick one religion from this world. Because I mostly agree with it and I'd have an excuse to draw more pentagrams and cool symbols.

I read the Satanic Bible when I was 15. It definitely challenged my thinking because I was raised as a Christian. It was saying a lot of things I kind of believed deep down but was afraid to confront. It wasn't long after that I read Might Is Right and you can see how Anton LaVey was influenced by that text.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Satan is for wimps. Hail, Melkor! Praise him!

(Anyhow, yeah, LaVeyans are essentially Atheists. Theistic versions I would frankly know less about).

#6 Browncoat, Feb 27, 2015
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've dabbled in it, but it didn't last long. I just wasn't able to find anything useful to it at the time, though it was an interesting learning experience.

Like any other sect or group, you will have splinter groups that have their own twist. Just look at all the denominations in Christianity for example -- going to start a brand new church, just because you all can't agree on Adam and Eve having belly buttons? At least, if you're going to break off, make it something significant, like maybe you don't agree with why the church always has a fresh paint job, when that money could go to providing homes for the homeless.

The amusing thing is, Satanism tends to be a lot more respectful towards women and the non-heterosexual. Christianity is more about a relationship with God through Jesus, in which God's ways are the right way and anything else is wrong (replace 'God' with 'boy/girlfriend' in this context and, suddenly, the relationship is obsessive and controlling), while Satanism is about individual liberty. You live and believe as you see fit, and only do unto others if they are wiling or consent -- there is no battling for their soul, so to speak, because in Satanism, even those who don't follow Satanism, will be rewarded in the end -- for they lived, truly, as only themselves. Not what somebody else demanded of them.

It's quite a beautiful sell, really.

Unfortunately, like many other groups or organizations, you have some questionable individuals who come in, with a misguided or ill intention, and the media and world focuses on those. Kind of like how people have a knee-jerk reaction to the negative aspects of Christians in their lives, here, and might overlook the few who do provide toys for toddlers, financially back soup kitchens, and voluntarily visit hospitals to be with the sick. Most want to focus on the extreme idiots as opposed to the compassionate saints.

End of the day, I have no issue with a Satanist who is living according to their Will. But those who join, in the attempt to gain attention or justify doing harm unto another, are who I have a problem with. Most serious Satanists are quiet about their involvement, and you might never know who they are. They have no need to prove their way is the right or superior way, because to them, the right or superior way is the individual's to choose.

8. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    to a certain extent, for me personally i believe the levay version of magic is complete bullcrap. Theistic version are more involved in those types of things. totally depends on your view of the supernatural whether you believe it or not. Wicca is another one but it's often confused and associated with Satanism.

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, in general, if i believe in the filosophy of "living as i see fit, as long as i don't harm others/interfere in their own liberty", i can be considered an "atheist-satanist"?

And satan is viewed as a symbol, right?

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You can be considered anything you want to, remember that. But whether or not people will accept that, well, that's on them.

The difference between an Atheist and a Satanist, at least the group I was spectating, was that they perceived God as an oppressive force. Basically, someone with a serious superiority complex, who made things simply to have those things praise him... which would be understandable, since he did provide them life, but to threaten them with punishment, simply because they wish to live life as they believe, is where Satanists take issue:

Do I exist simply to be a servant with no true will or ambition? I am nothing but a single note in the choir.

Satanists acknowledge "God", but what that means is up to the individual. God, in this sense, is simply that which forces conformity. Some see him as most folks do, and some see him as just a powerful force. Being an Atheist, this is where the problem would come up, since they do, technically, believe in something they call "God".

It depends on the branch. But I'm sure some see him as a funny little fellow, horns on his head, a cape, and surrounded in flames and bikini-clad demons.

The easiest way to put this is, Satan has no form, he is simply human curiosity, free love, and liberated freedom from any assimilation, incarnated into whatever you perceive them. Whether he just be a symbol or an actual mustache-twirling figure, well, that is up to the individual. The group I was with, saw Satan as simply a collection of ideas, all of which pertained or held relevance to the individual. A reminder of what they sought, and what they perceived to be lacking in the world.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Satanism sounds like my kind of religion, really

if such a thing existed anyway

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why do I read these threads?

13. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, of course, but i mean by definition. Words carry some concepts (like, if i can tell you i'm a christian, and use that label, but, as i don't believe in god, it would be simply confusing and complicated to use that word to define myself, even if i could do that).

But anyway...
    That's quite interesting, but why Satan? In the christian Bible, for example, why does Satan represents these collection of ideas?

Is there any book/site/video/potato any of you recommend about this subject?

What do you mean?

If you disagree with something, or have information against anything here, please, say it.

Now, ignoring the validity of the subject isn't really constructive, being in favour or against it.

14. Aro

Aro

I think that it has a lot of really good values. But I also think that it can be very harmful if not followed properly. I knew a Satanist once. On the surface, he was a very good person. But he took the whole revenge aspect very seriously and it was frightening. He had a black satchel full of rose hips and thorns and he told me that he spread them over clothing when someone needed retribution because it itched and caused horrible and painful skin rashes. Also carried a very nasty knife around him at every second of the day, including to classes and he was eventually expelled for it because he got mad at us, swore revenge, and we reported him.

Now, that's a bad experience and a bad story and I am sure not everyone is like that. I just thought that it was worth sharing, since it was a very personal and prominent experience with someone who believed in those morals. I have absolutely nothing against Satanism. There are great things to be found in a lot of religions. It's all about the person who is following them and how they take the words onto themselves.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Aro provides an example of the type of problematic folks, I was referring to previously. Thank you.

Because he was the first to rebel. Most revolutionaries or 'free-thinkers' see rebellion as taking back themselves, and removing their being from the machine of government or ideology. In that same sense, Satan is seen as not wanting to live under the rule of another, but by his own rule, and this makes him appealing.

The amusing thing is, if you take the Bible's information, you are told Satan is the supreme trickster and very clever. If we take this as truth, there is the possibility Satan isn't doing anything for the sake of all, but only for himself. In this regard, he's simply a more subtle overlord about his intentions. So, maybe it's all one big trick? Who knows... but that's up to each and every person to think about, and decide upon, for themselves.

You can value and embrace these types of ideas, without Satan. It's just that Satanism takes a more staunch approach to social issues, which include religion, in the form of living independently as opposed to collectively. Otherwise, you're simply a free-thinking and independent individual.

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I agree with Satanism. In fact, one could call me a Satanist based on some of my views.

But ultimately, even Satanism has rules. I refuse to be part of any organised cult or religion, no matter if it is atheistic.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The late 1950s sex symbol jayne mansfield was a satanist.

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, I'll elaborate, Satan seeks to destroy and steal your soul. It has nothing to do with being LGBT or not as to your eternal destiny, but I believe you need a personal relationship with Jesus. Our world seems to use Satan as a punchline, but there is a real spiritual realm. The Bible says he can possess those who do not believe in Jesus. Yes, I believe in a literal hell and a literal lake of fire at the end of time.

Satan was a fallen angel who challenged God and caste out of heaven. He masquerades as light but is the prince of darkness and evil.

In short, I will follow the true light and stay away from the darkness. Satan can make people's life a living hell on earth, but Christ protects us against physical harm from him as a Christian.

If you want to follow someone who was a free thinker, rebel and independent, you may want to consider Jesus.

*Runs from the pitchforks and torches*

19. Section18

Section18 Guest

Doesn't the Bible say something about putting to death men who lie with men? It is considered an abomination isn't it?
    Also, you're talking as if the things described in the Bible actually happened. Where is the proof that these things actually happened?

20. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Satan was never really described in the christian bible other then him being a talking snake charming females. other satanic imagery are actually from someone's figment of imagination. it's origins are also drawn from other cultures. a simple read of the whole christian bible is all the information you need to know. Jesus even supported the sacrifical rituals that the old testament stated for a bunch of stupid reasons. ( it was written in one of the new testament and one of his apostles stated that when a certain individual came up to him for advice, he asked the individual whether he already went through with the sacrificial offering to the priest or not. in my line of thinking, jesus seemed like he supported this idea of what later came to be considered "satanic rituals" in our time)

#20 Bolt35, Feb 27, 2015