1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Show You Care?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Simple question, but maybe not such a simple answer.

Basically, how do you show somebody you care? It can be something like a hug, providing an ear to listen, or even buying gifts.

Is there a certain act that somebody does, that really makes you feel cared for/about?

2. Yosia

Me and my friends have a special hug which shows that we are there for one another and we care. ^.^

3. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Giving someone a hug, holding someones hand when they are scared, protecting them, giving them reasons to smile and laugh, defending them, listening to them, helping them... it goes on.

4. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Finishing second?

In all seriousness, though, I'd say by being grateful, giving a hand when needed and making sure that person knows you got their back.

5. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I'm stoical, so I find difficult to express my feelings towards someone.

But if you see me being attentive to a person, then it means that I am really fond of him/her.

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anything the person needs

7. Jellal

If someone appears to have something bothering them, I will ask them if there's anything I can do to make their day better.

8. CrazyAwkward

Pay attention to them. Really listen. Take the time to talk to them, even if it's just a quick hello or good morning or whatever. Offer comfort and laughter when they need it. Basically, be there for them whenever, for whatever they need me for. And show gratitude when they do the same.

9. TheDapperCorvid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    More through actions than words, due to shyness. Offering food or tea, a listening ear, help with anything, hugs if needed, et cetera. If you're my friend, I'll make you gifts.

As for someone else caring about me... Being listened to, being remembered and being referred to by name. There's also a change in speaking tone I notice.

10. Hiems

Listen to someone talk, whether in person or over the phone. One of my close female friends sometimes calls me whenever she feels really upset. I've been on the phone with her for hours at a time, trying my best to console her. I don't mind at all though because I want to make sure she feels okay. She says feels better after talking to me, and that makes me feel satisfied because I made someone's day :slight_smile:

Whenever I do group work at school, I try my best to pitch in. I want to help so that we get a good grade. Otherwise, I would be a leech, and that is just selfish.

However, there was one time where I did not contribute to the group as much, but I was so busy with studying for other classes that I was not able to review the notes carefully. Consequently, one of my group members lashed out at me, and I did not feel good. I've contributed to this group every week prior to this one. The one week I falter, I get yelled at. Give me a break :/

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm uncomfortable hugging strangers. But if I KNOW they're okay with it I will hug people I trust enough not to stick a knife in my back. Hey, my boyfriend went hug-crazy at a anime convention. He says I should go because "don't worry, everyone is as awkward as you."

Different things work for different people. I try to figure out what they need. Unfortunately, there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. Although one act that's almost always universally appreciated is listening more and talking less.

One flaw in my approach is I tend to focus on how to solve a problem... and it would be best to guide the person to their own answer. You can take an educated guess but it's almost impossible to predict where a 'session' will lead. It's quite humbling to accept that I can't read people as well as I'd like to think I can.

If I might say one thing, I think it's a bad idea to guilt-trip suicidal people. Please don't call them selfish and tell them to think about how their death would hurt other people. I understand we might be hurting from knowing somebody close to us that killed themselves but that isn't the time and place to talk about it. People usually have good intentions when they do this but they usually don't understand it can make a suicidal person feel worse.

Fun fact; I've studied psychology. I was on the path to becoming a damn shrink. Of course I'm not qualified but I'd only have half the work to do if I picked it up again. I also wanted to understand why my own mind works the way it does but now I'm thinking it is impossibly to truly understand oneself... you can't get on top of all that cognitive dissonance.

12. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well since most of my friends are here online, the only way I can show that I care is to be vocal about it. I cant give them hugs or pat their back, I just give them words and compliments. I also show them that I am always going to be there for them even tho we only talk online.

I also do have tangible friends, but only a few that is why all of them are very close to me. Tho we only see each other once a month (in average), we always never forget to make each other laugh. And when one of us is not feeling good, we all just come together and talk about it. We despise hugs and kisses, we actually slap each other when we feel they needed some hug or kiss. Weird to be in our circle of friendship. Personally, I always text them that if they needed any help or comfort they can always come to me.

13. Notlad

Trying to listen to them. Or actively even trying to talk to them can be a sign from me sometimes.

14. Centore

Centore Guest

I give them advice or some witty jokes.

15. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not overly emotional, so with me it's mostly offering my advice/perspective on anything they might be having problems with. I might seem really cold as the dude who sits stubble-strokingly pensive across the table churning out rational solutions/ ways of looking at things while you're tearing up inside, but eh... it's closer to how I work basically.

That or I'll just pay attention to them and ask if there's anything they need or if they wanna go out or whatever. Basically let 'em know I'll spend time with them if they want me to.

16. usagi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on how deeply you care for someone and in which way. I think being there for them is the first step. Making yourself emotional available no matter the type of relationship is always a great place to start, assuming you might already have some form of bond. This also various from person to person, I myself prefer actions over words alone. If someone one is genuinely interested in what's going on in my life they will know small details not many people will have access to because they ask the right questions which means they really want to know. They're up to date with your life. These are things you should accept in return from anybody who cares about you.

17. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whenever someone close to me is having problems I listen to them and try my best to console them. I may not always give the best advice, but at least the people I care about know that I'm there for them.

18. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It is well known to the people closest to me that I will never say 'I love you', not because I don't want to say it or don't feel it but because I take it for granted that they already know.

I show that I care through getting to know you and remembering what you like/are/do. I'm stupidly loyal, so the people I care about know that there's no way I won't be there for them, I will always support and defend them.

19. hat123

For me, just being there spending time with them already show that I cared (because I am quite a huge introvert). Also, listening to them, helping them when they are in needs, and vocalising and say that I care, are some of the ways to show that I care.

20. Thedistra

I throw m&ms at them.

I'll do things I normally don't do. Like giving them a hug with me initiating it instead of it always being them. Things like that.