1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabricated story: blueskies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear members,

As you may be aware, the user blueskies posted a thread titled 'I think I might have ruined things forever...my life is such a mess' back in November 2013. Since then, the thread has grown to 23 pages, providing lengthy updates regarding an apparent relationship between 'Eddie' (blueskies) and a person named Martin, who was not registered to the community. Over the last 15 months, members have provided considerable support on issues related to relationships, therapy, emotional crises, suicidal ideation, and most recently suicide attempts. The thread recently reached its peak yesterday when a member claiming to be the sibling of blueskies informed the community that he committed suicide two months ago.

As the scenario evolved, the thread has attracted a considerable following from people, who have become emotionally invested in the story, and whom have provided a considerable amount of their own time to provide support to blueskies during a variety of crises that were posted. It was unsurprising when yesterday's update caused considerable distress and emotional anguish when community members were led to believe that this individual had killed themselves.

It is with deep regret that the staff team must inform you that the story is fabricated, and below are the findings that we have uncovered.

On December 23rd, an update to the thread (see this post) stated the following:
    Despite claiming to be posting whilst hospitalised following a failed suicide attempt, the IP address of this post remained the exact same as every other post within that thread. As their IP was static (i.e. remains fixed for that one person), it was clear to the staff team that the location that this post was submitted from was the same location that the person always updates the thread, and was therefore not being posted in a different location (e.g. the hospital).

Furthermore, upon conducting a background check on blueskies' registered information, we identified that their information was not registered to a bisexual male, but was actually registered to a female named Ida, who was alive and well. Whilst the location was truthful, everything else regarding blueskies story and identity were not.

To be certain, the staff team reached out to blueskies via private message to request an explanation for these overwhelming inconsistencies. In response, we got a private message claiming to be from Ida, claiming to have just discovered that her friend had supposedly been using her computer for all these years to post these updates, and that she apologised for him fabricating these stories. The staff team have examined this explanation, and we have reached the conclusion that it is entirely implausible and is nothing more than yet another lie from a manipulative and deeply untrustworthy individual. We know from the information we've documented that the EC account and email account are owned by the same person, and it would not be possible for the two to have remained separate from each other without being exposed much sooner. It's not a surprise that the member did not admit the truth, though. These people usually don't when caught redhanded.

It goes without saying that we take these situations very seriously, and we are extremely sorry for any frustration or upset that you may feel regarding this incident. We all place a considerable level of trust in each other to ensure that authenticity and integrity remain the core values of EC's supportive nature, and it is a great shame that there are people who emotionally exploit other people's goodwill, and who lie about the most abhorrent things imaginable just to get attention.

blueskies has been permanently banned from the community, and the thread will remain locked to prevent any further responses. However, we will be leaving the thread in place, to allow the genuine advice that has been given to potentially be a source of comfort for those who will actually benefit from it. Whilst the OP may lack integrity and authenticity, the responses and compassion shown do not, and that should be the silver lining that the followers of that thread should take from it. It will be of benefit to other people who genuinely are facing similar situations.

We once again apologise for having to inform you of this, but we felt that this case warranted us being transparent about our investigation into the thread. It has emotionally affected a whole variety of people, and the staff team felt that your collective right to know the truth trumped the individual privacy rights of a proven liar.

We also want to thank those of you who did take the time to offer such compassionate and caring responses. We hope that this bad experience will not affect your ability to continue offering your time to support each other, as the vast majority of people on here are authentic and come here with integrity. They deserve our support, and no amount of internet trolls will ever stop the community from supporting those genuine people.

From EC Staff.

2. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad you left it, it was a work of art. I hope she continues writing, because she really has a gift, but I hope she doesn't try to manipulate others with it.

I admit that I had my suspicions sometimes, but to be honest I prefer to err on the side of compassion, and if there really was an extremely depressed young person so caught up in what was honestly a fairly unhealthy relationship (or even a depressed person who wanted to be caught up in an obsessive relationship), they and their significant other really needed help badly.

I do know what motivates people to write, and often the reason is to banish one's own inner demons. Many of our characters have large pieces of ourselves in them, at least I know that mine do. Some of those passages about depression were very real, and I hope that if Ida does have the kinds of feelings she was writing about, or is writing about someone she knows, that she or her acquaintance is receiving proper care for it.

3. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess in his/her mind the story was real. I support EC's decision to not remove the thread from the site.

#3 pinkpanther, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DragonHerz, you have a whole lot more compassion than I do.

To me, the actions are nothing less than unmitigated evil and manipulation.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually I find it to be very horrible how one can trick people like that. Pretending to be in hospital.. Pretending that someone comitted suicide.. =( I agree with Chip.

I do agree that the reactions were indeed honest, so it may have a good purpose, but just.. Blah. I actually feel very bad about the topic (about how the person could lie like that). It's very unfortunate that the story wasn't honest, but I'm glad the Team found out.

6. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I just haven't wrapped my head around why someone would do that over such a long period of time if they didn't have some sort of serious problem and/or mental illness.

The action itself was reprehensible, especially with so many people following along and finding hope in the story. I suppose it's a reminder that we don't really know who's sitting behind the keyboard.

I'm glad this site has moderators and admins who follow up on things like that, you guys do good work.

7. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a truly despicable, unforgivable thing to do, but I can't help but be relieved that there was not in fact a suicide. I saw that fake "update" yesterday right before I left for work yesterday and that really brought me down...glad it wasn't true.

8. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you moderators for being on top of things and going through such a thorough investigation and reporting back to us. Your work is quite amazing.

I also had suspicions that this could be a fake story as the narrative became more and more dramatic. I am at least relieved that no one died after all.

DragonHerz, I remember you offering such warm and wise advice to blueskies, and I'm glad the thread will remain visible. I think you're probably right again about the author of this story probably suffering something similar, and I do hope she gets treatment for them.

9. anonym

anonym Guest

I never followed the thread but I am shocked and I'm sorry to say, disgusted someone could do such a thing. Fair enough if they were genuinely going through something similar and were masquerading as someone else but to fake your own death is kind of sick, especially as it involved emotionally exploiting others who may have been themselves vulnerable. I'm glad you investigated and hope nothing like this happens again.

10. Beautiful Mount

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm just glad no one has really died, it nearly had me in tears, when I found out he died, but it hurt me to find out it was fake because it really did inspire me, but I'm just glad that no one died, so basically it was like reading a story and the character died in the end. But what a way she ended the story, she could have said they lived happily ever after and are too emotionally invested in their relationship so they have stopped posting, but no. Anyways it really hurt me to find that Eddie died and that the story was fake, I can't believe it managed to stay alive for over a year, the thread of course. But there are real people out there who are going through things like the story. This women is obviously talented with her writing, but why do it here? When she knows it could hurt a lot of people, which it did, I'm so disappointed and saddened.

11. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't understand... why? How? It went on for more than a year... the effort? The concert and the kiss? I'm confused but quite impressed at the same time

12. Joelouis

You know, I can see the compassionate viewpoint from Dragonherz and those who show anger towards Blueskies. Of the former, they may see someone who actually needs help and encouragement to find a cause as to why they fabricated such an event, whilst the latter seems to be more focussed on the deceitfulness that Blueskies showed.
    I'm somewhere inbetween, though I do err on the side of pity towards them in that I wonder if there was something happening in their life that contributed to them coming up with such a story, knowing it would inevitably cause distress to those who read and followed it.
    Now, not to undermine staff or admin decisions, but by permanently banning Blueskies may leave him with no-one to pour his feelings out to, therefore adding more tension to what he may actually be feeling.
    As I say, I'm not staff so it's not my call, but would seeing him be made accountable for his actions by having him explaining to us all why they did this, together with a rollicking and a warning to his future conduct?

13. Joelouis

Actually, I've just re-read Martins' opening post. I'm glad they've been banned.
    Most of us know someone who has taken their own lives and it affects all who knew them for a very long time.

14. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever the staff team identify inconsistencies that undermine a member's posting history, we do allow that member the opportunity to own up to that and justify their reasons for it. We've got a handful of members who've encountered that approach, have apologised to the EC community, and to this day are still posting just like any other member. Our preference is always to try and resolve a situation whilst balancing the needs of everybody, including the perpetrator. A permanent ban is very much a lost resort for us, even in these types of cases.

Sadly, some people have little interest in owning up to their lies, no matter how clear the evidence is. In this case, blueskies admitted that the story was entirely made up, but stopped short of providing a plausible excuse for the identity concerns. If ever there was a community that would be willing to forgive somebody for the most emotionally exploitative misbehaviours, it's this one. Hell, even despite blueskies' continued lies and complete absence of remorse, we've still got members showing compassion and concern for their state of mind and well-being. Despite that, she chose to offer implausible excuses to explain the inconsistencies, and that was enough for us to conclude that they're not interested in being a part of the community for legitimate reasons. Hopefully she'll have learn't something from this on a personal level, but that's something that she has decided to leave between her and her conscience. For the rest of us, we're just left to pick up the pieces.

15. MisterTinkles

I have read the moderators commentary, but I have not read the thread, so I do not know the "story".

I do know, from experience, that there are people like this all over. I call them emotional leeches. This is how they get their "kicks", from making up lies to make people feel sorry for them, for any reason.

They have sad, pathetic lives, and they believe that if they have to live a sad and pathetic life, that other people should have to also. This is how they think.

It is not uncommon for these types of psychological manipulators to make up extremely intricate stories about a false persona, in order to get as much sympathy as they possibly can.

Most of these lowly forms of humans do this for the sake of just being an emotional leech or emotional vampire, if you will. Some do it for not only for the sympathy, but to make you feel SO badly for them, that you are willing to send them money for whatever reasons they can make up (need to pay Dr. bills, don't have food, no where to live, etc...).

As I have told one past online acquaintance who was severely traumatized by someone just like this, using him to drain his emotional sympathies.........you CANNOT believe everything you read or see online!!!

This is the age of photoshopping, liars, and cheats! They will say, do, and manipulate anything in order to get what they want from you.......and that includes sucking you dry of all of your emotions.

It took me a couple of months of some heavy duty "friend therapy" and explanations of these types of people to get him to feel better about himself, and like he wasn't the worthless person he felt he was because of this emotional draining leech/vampire sucking the lifeforce out of him.

BE CAREFUL!

NEVER consider ANY story you read online to be true!! DEMAND facts first!

Most people who tell the truth just do it simply. And thats the end of it.

Its the ones who type out these elaborate stories who you have to be VERY suspicious of. They are usually some type of emotional leech.

I just removed myself from another site this week, because the admin was one of these emotional leeches, sucking the lifeforce out of the members with his constant whining, crying, and moaning about how horrible his life is, how worthless he is, how everybody hates him, etc...... And its been going on for years.

Just DONT believe everything you read!!!!!

When in doubt, ask Mister Sparkles........I can "smell" these people a mile away!

#15 MisterTinkles, Feb 28, 2015
  16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never read the story but wow, its quite strange what people do. I can't imagine any motivation to do something like this? Especially over such a long period... What does she gain from it? Very weird.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

As MisterSparkles mentioned, individuals who do such things are vampires of sorts, usually for attention or compensation. They accept sympathy or the positive vibes of their "victims", which in this case would be forum-goers.

Why they do this?

There tends to be two reasons.

One is they're bored/dissatisfied with their life, offline, and instead of making any significant changes to improve it, they find it much easier to fabricate a life online. It's one thing to go out and situate yourself and another to, quite easily, type something out. In this way -- so long as others believe them -- these individuals can, in a way, live the life they so desperately want but, for whatever reason, do not seek/have. This allows them to create a sort of fantasy world in which they are a God, as their life is only limited by how clever they write, and how gullible their "audience" is.

The other reason is, there could be something wrong, a kind of imbalance, like a mental illness. This doesn't give the individual a Get Out Of Jail Free card, mind you, but it does make it appear slightly less malicious in comparison to somebody, like in the first reason, of being deliberately manipulative. While it may be more difficult to control in this scenario, it can still, to a degree, be controlled. Those who hide behind their problems, instead of overcoming them, are pretty damaged, and they don't mind using others, because if they get caught -- at least in their mind -- they can always brush it away, with something akin to, "Well, I can't help myself! I have ___, so, leave me alone!"; it's a last-ditch attempt at gaining sympathy, in the event they are caught, so they can go right back to pulling strings.

In both cases, it allows the individual, even if just for a few minutes to a few hours, a day, to "be the person they want to be". Much like an addict, that fabricated lifestyle fuels them, gives them meaning, and why not? They receive their pity, their attention, and everything, especially love and concern, that they either, do not receive elsewhere, or cannot receive, for whatever reason. The "thrill" of telling a fib and, more or less, getting away with it, excites the individual, and like a drug, they have to tell more lies, bigger and more bold than before, to get that same high. This high, more or less, instills in them a sense of purpose, a reason to be, that most of us find in hobbies, our families and friends, or our ambitions. This quick fix may begin harmlessly, because one feels lonely or unappreciated, but if left unchecked, well, many exploit the good nature of folks, especially on support forums like this -- because that is what you're supposed to do, on a support forum, support.

I've dealt with individuals like this. So, maybe, this addition here, can help shed some light, and perhaps ease any curiosities.

#17 Kaiser, Feb 28, 2015
  18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be mental illness, or it could be antisocial personality disorder (essentially, being a sociopath, who is literally incapable of any caring or compassion for anyone else) which, while it is a mental illness, is a particularly difficult one in that these people are simply evil and manipulative and show absolutely no remorse because they're incapable of empathy.

I honestly hope the woman who did this is reading this thread and sees what a despicable and evil thing she's done... but as Martin said, given that we gave her the chance to come clean and she instead lied her ass off... I doubt it.

All I can say is, karma adjusts, and will be far worse than she ever could have imagined.

19. anonym

anonym Guest

Like I said, I never followed the thread but now having read some of it, I can see how it was fictional. It was too well articulated and at times, dramatic for it to be genuine. Most people post sporadically but this was almost too well timed and orchestrated. In fact, if you read other members comments you can see they were almost hooked on the story, as though it was just that, a story, only they believed it to be a true one.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    EC is a very safe and a very nice place to stay: The human quality of the folks, which shows on the advice, and the work of the Admins, which is something I've never seen before.

At times I'm tempted to say EC is the best forum I've ever been in.I never reached +50 posts in any internet forum ever, nor ever gave much attention to forums anyways. I despise the drama, and know too well the reasons why liers post such stuff on the internet (Kaiser resumed it all very well).

And to a degree I'm still very cautious when it comes to everything I read. I'm very reserved and cautious IRL, and my first reaction when somebody tells me something is let's find out how truthful this statement is.

In some cases, it's plain clear that somebody is lying. In other cases, it can be a true game of Where is Carmen San Diego?. This blueskies will find other forums, and will keep the game going on, or create something new.
    The only way to stop it is to get in touch with blueskies' ISP, and in order to do that this blueskies needs to break the law.

I don't invest much emotionally here. That doesn't mean I don't care. You can read my posts, and I think my (few) friends know me already. But if I see someone who keeps repeating the same mistakes over and over again, and refuses to learn, I give them the same treatement I give people IRL : I stop paying any attention to them and move on.

Good job, Martin. Thanks to you and the rest of the team for keeping this place safe, specially since it's full of kids who need it badly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.