1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like astronomy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quem, Feb 28, 2015.

?

Do you like astronomy?

1. Yes

83 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Indifferent

12 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all! :icon_bigg As you may or may not know, I really like things related to astronomy. I don't think I'm the only one, but I wanted to find out! :icon_bigg

If you like astronomy, what do you like in particular? Do you follow news related to astronomy?

For those who are confused: astronomy is a natural science about things related to space. It's not the same as astrology (related to zodiacs and such).

2. Joelouis

I am a big fan of astronomy and have many DVDs on it.
    I don't really have much home time to watch it on Sky but when I get a bit more time off I'll try and catch up with the latest.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's cool! I have no DVDs about it yet, but I want to have some too. =)

4. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I'm writing a sci-fi novel in which astronomy is an important theme :slight_smile:

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's interesting DoubleSoul! :icon_bigg Astronomy can definitely be used in novels. =)

6. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do love astronomy. Its an art form in itself. When I was younger I wanted to study the stars, fascinated by the vast night sky. I used to think the night sky was a HUGE blanket with holes in it covering the day blue sky the holes being the stars.

7. Sturtevant

Sturtevant Guest

I own research grade equipment, so yes. I'm trying to justify an observatory, again. My buddy and I made an observatory at my last house that required trig to build. I'm trying not to be that crazy this time.

8. Tardis221B

I love astronomy!:icon_bigg I took a 100 level course at my university, and in my free time I watch documentaries about deep space, watch ted talks, and read a bit about it too.

My favorite subject within astronomy is cosmology. I love studying about deep space, the multiverse theories, dark matter, dark energy, black holes, dimensions, other galaxies, string theory, and theories about life on other planets and theories about life on Europa- one of Jupiter's moons'.

An amazing book I read was "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking, at some point I hope I can read some other books by him, also I've heard that books by Brian Greene are also really interesting. And can't forget Neil de Grasse Tyson. :icon_wink

I try to keep up on astronomy news to a certain extent, but normally fail to do so. I love hearing the updates about the probes on Mars, like curiosity or Phoenix, and I can't wait to see images from the 1000 meter telescope when its finished being built.

I've always been fascinated by stars and what's beyond and between them. If you ever want to talk stars feel free to shoot me a message on my wall.

9. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mmmm... Technically, I'm an astronomer by profession. :slight_smile:

10. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

^.^

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks all for the replies so far! I find it very interesting to read about your opinions! :icon_bigg

It's interesting that you point out Europa. =) I think you know about the proposed mission to Europa? That brings me to astrobiology, something that really sparks my interest as well. =) I've heard that also a mission to Enceladus has been proposed (although it's not official whether it has gained enough support yet).

Different planets, moons... I find it all very interesting. :lol:

Haha I'll keep that in mind! :icon_bigg

12. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not really my favorite subject; I guess I'm more interested in what's here on earth rather than what's in the heavens. I can spend days looking at maps and globes, but when you go outside the earth, you kinda lose me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Maybe there are too many things in astronomy that are just too hard to fathom: 27 million degrees F, 12 billion times the size of the sun...makes my head hurt -_-

13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do relate in a way, as those numbers are SO large. But what's funny about astronomy (in my opinion) is that you see Earth in other planets too. :icon_bigg

Take the moon Titan (a moon of Saturn).. It has rain! But not like we have, no, they have rainfall of methane instead. Much like on Earth, they have rivers and lakes, but then not filled with water. You see more of those similarities. Take Enceladus, which has cryvolcanism. However, the geyser-like things spit out water vapour and ice particles.

Looking at planets and moons reminds me of Earth. =)

14. Tardis221B

Haha, yep the mission with the drill to search beneath the ice crust to see if there is extraterrestrial sea life there :grin: Astrobiology, that sounds like a fascinating field, I should look into that... And Enceladus, that's one of Saturn's moons, do you know what the general proposed mission there is going to be?

Everything about the universe is just so fascinating, there's so much to learn and discover.

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I do know what the proposal is about. :icon_bigg Carolyn Porco (award-winning planetary scientist and leader of the Cassini Imaging Team) posted on the 17th of February on FB that a team of scientists including her submitted a proposal to NASA's Discovery program.

I'll quote her:

The search for extraterrestial life. :icon_bigg Enceladus is one of those moons with a high chance of having extraterrestial life. :icon_bigg

16. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh I love this stuff! Imagine if we had developed on a moon and not on a planet. It would be cool to see the host planet we revolve around. That's why I'm sort of fascinated by the view on Mars and on its two little pebble moons. Especially the faster one Phobos.

17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a hypothetical scenario I like as well. :icon_bigg Too bad Phobos will be crashing into Mars one day, but that will take a looong time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: At least Deimos will still be there then. =)

18. Gallatin

I've loved astronomy since I was a little kid, and that hasn't changed as I've gotten older. One of my favorite courses in college was my astronomy lab.

19. Jellal

I think many hundreds of years ago I would have spent my life trying to be an astronomer. (What really fascinates me is astrology ... the actual science behind the stars, it's boring to me.)

20. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i heard about a couple of extra solar planets both around stars in the constellation Pegasus.

The first is 51 Pegasi b, sometimes called Bellerophon.

The other is HD 209458 b, sometimes called Osiris.

These planets are similar types to Jupiter, yet they are so close to their parent stars they are literally broiling in the heat and light of these stars.