1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion of a quote

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Feb 28, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys :slight_smile:

I read this quote from a website.

"Do not shower too much love or affection on anyone.
    Because when there is a time to separate,
    Your eyes won't be crying,
    It is your heart that is crying"

Do you agree with this quote?

I feel there might be some truth in this quote. I mean we never know when the person whom we love very much might leave us :frowning2:

2. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That quote doesn't really make sense to me, so I can't say.

3. PlantGrrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my serious relationships I have always loved completely and not held back (which is odd to say coming from a female who loved males who is now coming out as loving females) because I feel like it's not fair to the other person in the relationship not too. Sure it makes leaving or being left much harder, but at least you know it's real the whole time.

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That actually seems to be a Buddhist quote (at least, it does mix with the principles of not getting attached emotionally). I'm not sure where you found that quote, but that's the impression I get.

Anyway, it is true in a way. However, it is not entirely true. It assumes that the other thing will be lost before you, which is not necessarily true. =)

5. Jellal

I don't see why both your eyes and heart can't cry simultaneously.

6. CrazyAwkward

I don't think I agree. Because even when that time of separation comes, whether it's due to people going their separate ways, or death, that goodbye doesn't erase the good times spent showing them how much you care. Those good times will always be good, and will always be worth something. And I think they're definitely worth the tears and the pain in your heart that comes at the end.

7. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Actually you are quite right Quem :slight_smile: Its from an Indian Philosophy page and I translated it. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your opinions guys :slight_smile:

8. LiquidSwords

Try not to love someone too much because they'll probably leave you ?

Hmm

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is this about death? I think we should usually love with all our hearts. Pain usually sucks but it's impossible to avoid it forever. All the more reason to appreciate our loved ones while they're still with us!

Although I envision some situations where it would be more practical to demonstrate loyalty to a job. If one worked for the KGB or something along those lines.

If the quote is just about the perils of holiday romances, then I agree it's best not to get too attached.

10. Buttermilk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess it depends. If your goal in life is to be hurt as little as possible while still enjoying life (to a certain extent), this quote would make sense. However, I personally prefer to throw everything into a relationship I truly care about. I guess the two ideas behind that are greater risk may give a greater reward, and in order to make a relationship work you need to constantly put in effort.

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's truth in it, but I don't agree with it.

Indeed, if you allow yourself to get invested in someone, be it a friend, a lover or a family member, it will make a separation more painful.
    There's some people in my life where to lose them would mean I'd be in severe pain for an extended period of time.

And probably for some, that would be reason enough not to be invested. What if it goes wrong? Better to be independent than to risk the pain.

But I don't believe in that. You shouldn't live your life based on what could go wrong. Maybe you'll never get hurt that way. But you'll also miss out on so many good things. Nice surprises. Unexpected success stories. Loves and friendships that you could have had.

I may be weird, but I remember very consciously thinking, when I started daing my bboyfriend: "If I allow myself to get invested in this guy, and it goes south... it will hurt more than I've ever felt before. Is that something I can live with?"
    And yet, the answer was a resounding "yes!". Allowing myself to get invested has thought me much about myself, other people, the nature of life and love.

And if we ever break up, then that will hurt. More than anything. But having tasted the good, I still consider it more than worth the risk and the pain.

12. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it depends really, when we loose the ones we love so much, we will wish that we had spent more time with them and gave them more love and attention. On the other hand, some times we give so much to some one but they end up breaking our hearts in the end.

13. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with CrazyAwkward. Just because there's an ending doesn't mean you should hold back how awesome the beginning and middle can be. It's the opposite I think, because everything must end, you've got to pour everything you can into the moments. Sure there will be pain, but with missed moments there comes regret, more missed moments means more regret. It's better to miss just the person than to miss the person and lost moments.

14. tscott

It seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you hold back in anticipation of a break up, it's going to happen. No committed relationship succeeds by half measures.

15. CyanChachki

I guess if you're acting out on an obsession. Like if you smother someone with love within the first couple weeks of knowing them, then they'll probably want to back off.. but if you're in a serious, committed relationship, then showing your love isn't bad. Some people need to know that they're loved.

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get the logic in what it's saying, but I don't agree entirely.

17. blackhatguy

Right now, I'm single. Part of that's because I'm embarrassingly deep in the closet, and because your average 14 year old has more confidence with the ladies than I do. Part of it is just I don't feel ready.

When you enter a relationship, you put yourself at risk. Both have to sacrifice for it to work out, and while it takes two to get together, it takes one to fall apart. From what I can tell, being with the right person can make all the difference in your life.

If you remain single forever, you will never experience the pain of a breakup. You will never deal with the strains you and your partner will put on each other. But you will never know what it's like to have someone else mean the world to you, and for you to mean the world to them. To have someone to hold you when you feel confused or alone. To have someone to hold when they feel confused or alone.

I'd say it's a gamble. And at the moment, I've decided "not yet." Each must choose for themselves

18. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's nonsense

19. robclem21

Right on. Couldn't have said it better. :slight_smile:

20. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

So just live a neutral, numb existence without connecting to anyone in any significant way because you're scared of being hurt, booooooooooooriiiiiiing