1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating - Advice, Etiquette, Pitfalls and Success Stories...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siarad, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Siarad

I have signed up to online dating sites in the past and have not got very far with them but I'm trying to stick with it this time. I have been communicating with a woman who seems quite promising and who I seem to have a lot in common with. However online dating still seems quite surreal at times.

Therefore ideas about advice and etiquette on online dating and any success stories that people would like to share would be very much appreciated!

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2015 at 10:32 PM ----------

So to start with some of my thoughts and questions (some more general, some more personal to me). Feel free to comment on any/all.

General:

- How do you write a profile without it sounding like a job application?
    - Aside from more concrete qualities such as age, how do you say what you're looking for in a person when it's really more a case of "I'll know when I find it"?
    - How soon should you reply to messages, striking a balance between 'needy/desperate' and 'not bothered'?

More Personal
    - (Applies to any dating, not just online) At what sort of moment in the 'getting to know someone you want a relationship with' process do I tell them that I never had a relationship with a woman before (or when I closeted very much of a relationship with men either) and all of this is totally new to me?

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in a long distance relationship for pretty much a year now. It's not what I was looking for but sometimes you can't help who you fall for and you might as well give it a try.

As far as writing a profile just state what you want your girlfriend to have.
    For example if I made one I would say I want someone who can make me laugh, loves animals, family oriented, wants to have a family one day and is looking for a serious relationship. That way whenever someone sees it they know what you are looking for and whether or not they would match that. As far as replying back I would give. A few minutes in between so it's not like you are sitting there just waiting for someone to message you.

As for letting them know you haven't been with a girl before I would hold off on that until you actually see it going so,we here with a girl you start talking to. I mean once they get to know you and realize they like you as well then I think it would be a little easier to break it to them and they would be more accepting

3. CyanChachki

I've tried long distance relationships before and I hated it. The person I'd be seeing would always have a very negative aspect about them that made me realize exactly why they where single. So with that being said, here is my advice for those who are dating online whether it's long distance or if you're trying to find local singles.

- Pay attention to what they're saying. If they say something like.. "my Dad died when I was 10" and then a week later, they'll mention something about their Dad, call them out on it! There is absolutely no point in buying their little white lies.

- Ask them for new photos. It doesn't have to be anything sexual, just ask them for a few new ones because you like seeing them. If they take a long time instead of a quick snap (especially if they're on their phone) keep an eye out. Make sure that the pictures always match each the others.

- If you're suspicious of them in any way, ask them to take a photo of themselves with a shoe on their head. If they refuse to do it and/or put up a fight just to take that one photo, then there's a possibility that they're lying.

- Make sure that they aren't stage 5 clingers. These people are the worst to hang around, let alone date. If they get too into you, they will consistently message or text you just to get you back, which could possibly ruin your life and any other kind of relationship you'd want in the future. If say your stage 5 clinger ex happens to message you 16 times in a row and your now partner happens to sneak a peak into your phone and sees things like "I love you baby" and "I wish you where here", that could set up a ton of chaos. Not only would you be at risk of ruining a newly bloomed relationship, you'd also have to change your number and/or block theirs.

- If you're LGBTQ+, make sure that they're ACTUALLY LGBTQ+ and not just trying it out for whatever reasons they feel are necessary. This has happened before and it's definitely not a nice feeling when you tell them that you're a transgendered male, then get your ass dumped only to find out a few years later that they're actually straight.

- If you're looking for a man, make sure that it's a man and if you're looking for a woman, make sure that it's a woman.

- Make sure that they're not married or in a current relationship. Ask them if they're single. If they say yes, you can use this bit of information against them if it happens to turn out that they are not.

- Make sure that they're not tricking you just to make you the gag at their next social party. Really. Make sure that they're actually into you and not just saying so, so that they can be a bunch of bullies.

- MOST IMPORTANTLY, LGBTQ+ memebers!! Make sure that they're not one of those people pretending to be LGBTQ+ just to lure you into their homes and either hurt or kill you. As unheard of as it is, it's very common and if you're going to being in an online/long distance relationship, make sure that you will be safe. This means if you're going to this said someone's place for the first time or if you're going to a dinner or anything, tell one of your friends or a few people who you can trust, where you are going. Maybe it's a good idea to have a panic word or number like "Tank" or "52" so that if you text them that number, they know to call the cops.

4. guitar

I would recommend keeping your profile brief. Say a few things about yourself & leave the details about yourself for when you start messaging so you have something to talk about. Plus people have very short attention spans. Keep your profile positive & upbeat. Listing deal breakers & other things will greatly limit the number of responses you get.

5. QueerQueen

I've dabbled before.

Profile writing is hard, keep it as fun and simple as you can. Write random things about yourself like "I love swimming and I could do it for hours, the unfortunate thing is that nobody ever wants to swim as long I do". Try to make ways for people to interact with you like if you love gaming say that maybe you guys could play together one day if they are up for a challenge.

If you read someone's profile and want to talk to them, pick out things they have said about themselves and use it to start a conversation. If in their profile they say they play the piano. You could ask them for how long they've been playing or what song they first learned to play, how they got into it and so on.

Most people have similar interests like "I love the beach, shopping.." don't type all of yours, just the most interesting ones and of course the ones you are most interested in like "reading people" or "figuring out the meaning behind songs" and "passing a ball around" Lol whatever . That way they can figure the rest out when you guys talk.

You should write what you are looking for whether it's friends, long term relationship, casual dating.. if it isn't something that the site already makes you fill out. Write the things you would like in an ideal partner.. so that person can get some kind of idea if you might be a match. When messaging someone don't just say hey how are you, try to initiate a conversation, not something they can just say one or two words too like "I'm good". Most people don't like small chit chat and won't answer in that case.

Don't bother with people who have no pictures or people with just one picture. Say what you are doing in life, if you are in college or working. People like to know where you are headed in life. Try to show people the kind of person you are through your writing, if your profile is fun and upbeat people will probably think your a fun person. Try to describe yourself so people will know whether you are someone they could like or be friends with.

If you want to meet someone, I'd advise you cam with them or call them on the phone. If not make sure you are meeting in a public place, and if you feel uncomfortable about it bring a friend along, at least until you know whether or not they are a serial killer. Good luck!

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    - How do you write a profile without it sounding like a job application?

My profile is very long, but that's because I'm an introvert and have spent a lot of time thinking about who I am. So, I just wrote a mini-autobiography. Also, maybe since I've never had a real relationship, I kind of vomited out all the things that I consider "interesting" which I would rarely mention in total to friends/family. Maybe I'm trying too hard. I've started to prune things, especially in saying what I'm looking for.

- Aside from more concrete qualities such as age, how do you say what you're looking for in a person when it's really more a case of "I'll know when I find it"?

I usually list things I'm interested like music, art, science, etc. Personally, I think musical preferences are a good way of grouping personalities, so I linked to a few youtube videos of great songs/pieces. Finally, in my "you should message me if" section, I post things that I care about like wanting someone who is emotionally mature.

- How soon should you reply to messages, striking a balance between 'needy/desperate' and 'not bothered'?

Honestly, it seems the majority of guys who message me are not good matches, save for a few who I became friends with. Since the site I use is largely based on percentages, I just apologize for someone who is not an ~80% match, unless reading their profile makes me think they are worth talking to (I've met some nice artists like that).

It seems that my best hits have been from me taking the initiative sending messages, usually in the form of a question ("Hi, I see you like So-and-so. What do you like about it?"). It's usually something that I'm also interested so that I don't seem incompetent.

More Personal
    - (Applies to any dating, not just online) At what sort of moment in the 'getting to know someone you want a relationship with' process do I tell them that I never had a relationship with a woman before (or when I closeted very much of a relationship with men either) and all of this is totally new to me?

I just put it in my profile, actually. I said I only started coming out last year and that I've been through a big career change leaving graduate school for an art career. Very few guys have said anything negative about it. Everyone was new once, and you don't have to make mistakes to have good relationships.

7. Kirito47

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I first talked to someone online he was first a mystery , but after weeks of talking and getting to know one another so we went on a date later on the future then later that night he pleasured me so good that I would remember it for years too come