1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binary Representation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DianaLives, Mar 4, 2015.

1. DianaLives

So this is something I have split opinions on and I wish to discuss them with you people.

In the media I've seen the binary genders being represented in a (surprisingly) not depricating way, but still somewhat stereotypical and not diverse at all. Like an advertisement of toilet paper with a blue background and a racing set up for the boy and a pink background and a princess set up for the girl ( I won't go into much detail because I dont think it's that important) so the question is:

Given how gender is socially contructed, wouldn't these types of representation build gender for people and allow them to identify with (a person seeing these patterns in masculinity and following up to them so they can feel more ''masculine'') or are they restricting and harmful for those who identify with the binary and those who don't?

And if they are harmful, then what would be the solution? to ban unecesarelly gendered ads to children? to ban all gendered ads? or to allow them but also ask for a more diverse gender representation?

I'll look forward to some interesting opinions :thumbsup:

2. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Well advertisement works with groups.belonging to a group is the most important thing to humans (apparently).and the two largest groups are-man and woman.therefore stopping advertising with gender roles probably wouldn't work.but i think one could do something in the movie and book industries about it because there are also still many stereotypes (especially in movies!!!).
    For me stereotypical gender roles have nothing to do with my my gender identity since i don't see gender roles as the same as gender.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

"belonging to a group is the most important thing to humans"

^this is what disgusts me about humanity. But unfortunately, it's true for a lot of people. Not me though. I hope that trait evolves out of the human race one day.

Anyways, it's all about stereotypes. Gender stereotypes are still around.
    I say screw it, I enjoyed my toy cars AND my Barbie dolls.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In this regard, I mosty believe society should drive the advertisements. What I mean is, it should never be banned.... That's akin to banning free speech imo. Minimum controls on speech is importantly. If people don't like gendered adds, that's your problem. If enough people don't like it, society can pressure the companies to stop producing such adds or pressure, for example, tv companies, not to show them. If they don't, they risk going out of business so imo it fixes itself. But you have to have people who care enough...

I don't think gendering is bad for the most part. It works for the majority of people.

5. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    This reminds me of my mother's reaction to a rather gender-stereotypical Mother's Day advert by Asda a few years back:

Advert: "You could choose a potted plant, chocolates, a cookery book, or how about all three?"

Mother: "How about fuck off?"

And she's pretty binary.