1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just can't figure this out (unrelated to coming out, I just need help)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AngelWings17, Mar 4, 2015.

1. AngelWings17

AngelWings17 Guest

My best friend says he's seen me deal with anxiety before, but I never noticed it until Oral Communications started this semester. I've never liked speaking in front of a crowd, especially where I don't know anyone. Public Speaking in high school was easier because I knew pretty much everyone in my class.

Symptoms I have before giving a speech:
    - Shaking
    - Nausea (feeling like I'm going to be sick)
    - Loss of appetite
    - Rapid heart rate
    - Crying
    - Feeling like I'm letting my group down
    - Selective muteness

Symptoms I have during the speech:
    - Shaking
    - Nausea (feeling like I'm going to be sick)
    - Loss of appetite
    - Rapid heart rate
    - Frozen hands
    - Sweating
    - Feeling like I'm being judged

Symptoms I have after the speech:
    - Shaking (lasts long after)
    - Nausea (settling down)
    - Loss of appetite (returning)
    - Rapid heart rate (slowing down)

I know I have stage fright, but could it be that I have social anxiety as well?

And if I do have social anxiety, is there any way I can calm my nerves before hand without letting my mom know or getting a monthly prescription that I can't afford?

And the symptoms are worse only when I have Oral Communications or I have to speak in front of a crowd. I'm fine in a casual conversation, but when I'm put under the spotlight is when it's worse.

I figured today that I would rather get an IV put into my arm than give a speech. And I have a fear of needles going into me.

:help:

2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A nice thing to do when you ain't comfortable with oral exams and all... Is to see it as acting. Just act whatever you're supposed to be during the speech.

Why ? Because it's easier to beat fear when you ain't directly facing it. You mentioned having stage fright, I used to too. But well, you have to make things clear: when you play a role, people ain't seeing you, they're seeing the character you're playing. Thus you don't have to be afraid, people won't even see you. As soon as you've done your part that is learning your text, you ain't there anymore.
    And here is the trick: Play the role of someone who's giving a speech, you're playing the role of someone who can give a speech pretty well. That way, you ain't really facing neither the crowd nor the fear.

It takes a bit of training though haha

You also can put yourself in a pretty simplistic mindset:
    If someone judges you while you wouldn't judge them, then that person is lower than you are. And the judgment of someone who's lower than you ain't worth a damn.

When it comes to social fears, acting or any form of art that can be shown in front of people (I used to learn how to dance in the street) can help you a lot ! It allows you to express yourself without minding about what people are thinking: You're on the giving end.

#2 Aeolia, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was very young (7 or 8) my parents sent me to speech therapy because I had difficulty reading in front of my class. I learned a few tricks that helped. Later as a teenager I had to make a speech in front of the entire school. Even with rehearsing and using all the tricks I had learned I was so nervous that I could not see the notes in my hand, literally I was in a blind panic. After a few attempts I was able to control my nerves. Eventually I could ad-lib and became reasonably good at delivering a speech. Occasionally as part of my work I had to give speeches on complex issues to crowds of over 2,000 people.
    All I can say is that stage fright is a form of social anxiety. It is perfectly normal, all actors and public speakers suffer from it, without exception! It is just a matter of controlling the nerves to a level where they are helpful and give you that shot of adrenaline.
    Acting classes might help you, particularly in projecting your voice. Looking towards the back of the audience when talking. Memorize your speech and then reading it to your audience is a good trick if you are not accustomed to public speaking. If you are talking in a large auditorium don't shout just imagine you are talking to someone at the back of the room.
    When you start your speech take a deep breath and introduce yourself then take a short pause and then start your speech, it gives them the impression that they are going to be told something important.
    Accept the fact that you are nervous and that you will make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes. Every time you make a speech it will become less terrifying, but it will always be a little scary. If you are not a little sacred you will make a crap speech. Anyone that says that they are not nervous is lying.
    With a little practice the symptoms will lessen and you will be an excellent public speaker.
    Best of luck!

4. AngelWings17

AngelWings17 Guest

I did actually get three useful tips.

1) I am very comfortable in front of a camera, so pretend the class is my laptop.

2) Start by focusing on the one person I feel comfortable with then branch out to the rest.

3) Pretend to be someone I'm not. I took on the personality of one of my roleplay characters that's the epitome of confidence.

Even when I did all that, I still experienced those symptoms.

5. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Guest

Talk to yourself, you are your best audience. Worked for me, I wrote something on the blackboard and started talking aloud to myself about what I just wrote. Eventually, I was looking at people and talking, but I was just explaining the subject to myself.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The nervous-thing never really goes away, it, as others have said, is just something you have to learn to control. But practicing speaking aloud, especially of what you are wanting to say, or will say, instills a sort of confidence in you. It allows you, as you hear yourself speak, to pass through certain 'checkpoints' -- these checkpoints are parts of your speech, and as you get through one and into another, you can tell yourself, it is almost over.

If you don't like making eye contact, you can always look at the edge of a desk, or at the wall just above people's heads. This gives you the impression of looking at others, and without having to take in their gazing. Looking around, at nothing or nobody in particular, can also give the impression of confidence, since it appears you are looking at everybody. Also, looking around a lot, is kind of distracting from the nervousness you may feel, as it is something to do -- a way to release those feelings of anxiety you have.

Sometimes when I speak, I rub my thumb against my index and middle fingers, in a circular sort of motion. It helps with anxiety, and it looks sophisticated, so I'm getting a presentation bonus along with a source of comfort.

I'm not above cracking a joke or two, or making a jab at myself. It takes away any judgment another could have, because I already laid claim to my shortcoming or flaw. This also relieves a lot of pressure, because it lightens the mood -- folks like to laugh, so why not make them?

In school, most people don't care so much for what you're saying. They just want to do their assignment and get it behind them, and this is especially true for public speaking. So long as your topic isn't something mundane, like baking cookies, you should be fine, because anything even semi-interesting is appreciated by a class. This is why, if you are able to, selecting an amusing or entertaining topic, can give you the security of knowing, folks won't be as harsh towards you, because you didn't bore them or waste their time.

In the end, it boils down to this. Get your grade, everything else is secondary. A few minutes of discomfort speaking is a temporary trial I'd take, as opposed to letting those few minutes deny me of a potentially better life. Your education is one road to that life, so don't let anybody take that from you. Intentional or suspected.

You do you. Fuck obstacles.