1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for vacation, please?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PurpleGrey, Mar 5, 2015.

1. PurpleGrey

Okay, I know, it's March, so why am I worried about Christmas vacation? Because my folks are dead set on everything. My stepfamily has a tradition that they all go to Costa Rica every year, and this year is the first time the rest of us can go. So, I'm stuck with the trip. I really don't want to go, and my folks know that, but they don't trust me alone in the apartment so long. I don't blame them, either.

So, to prepare myself, before it's too late to change anything. Yes, my folks are odd.

I tried to do research on the net, but I can't focus, and I absorb things better when real people say them. I figure some of you lovely people might have first-hand experience, so, here are my questions:

Am I safe as a queer woman? Not just physically, I'm more worried about how people will treat me in general if it comes up in conversation or something. I've read very contradictory things, so I want to be sure.

How likely am I to get sick? I have a crap immune system. That, or I'm a hypochondriac. Or both.

Are there things to do other than nature stuff and bars? Honestly, that's all I hear about it from my stepdad.

Are there laws that would prevent me from bringing my medication? I have major depression, and I need my pills just to function.

Thanks for hanging in there for this long thread, I know I babble on. Any information is very much appreciated. If there's anything else I might need to be prepared for, please let me know. (*hug*)

2. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    One should always be able to take their medication with them. However, I do not know for sure - you might want to check the company you're flying with (I assume you are flying there). They have all the rules on their web pages. Usually you can take everything with you but remember to take the package and instructions with you, plain pills in a bag don't look too good :---D

I've never been to Costa Rica, so can't help much but just remember to wash your hands and use common sense. Check beforehand if you are allowed to drink tap water - if not, use always bottled water when brushing teeth, washing fruit and veggies and so on. In a restaurant don't have ice in your drink - those are usually made from the tap water that locals are used to but you are not.

You can always try wikitravel or some other pages online to find out what there is to do and see :slight_smile:

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... Maybe you could get a letter from your doctor to justify having pills on your suitcase.

I also never been to Costa Rica, but I wouldn't tell I'm queer, I'd just try to blend with the crowd, maybe tell people you have a boyfriend or something, so they won't rush to try anything, you know.

I think as long as you use common sense (deon't take candy from strangers, don't go to bars on your own, don't go to the wrong neighbourhoods, avoid being outside at nights, and also avoid lonely dark alleys) you should be ok. Keep in mind it might be way more conservative than the US, but I don't think it's like you are going to some middle east country, you know...

Maybe you should try to enjoy it, make the best out of it, 'cause you seem to have no options anyway.